Daylight saving time. Rant away.

Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Daylight saving time whining about to begin again

Post by Gone_Fishin »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 6th, 2018, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Btfsplck
Fledgling

Post by Btfsplck »

I can’t believe people complain about a one hour time change. Such nonsense.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Gone_Fishin wrote:
flamingfingers wrote:Province should decide on PST or DST and be done with silly clock changes.

Some people have a tough time setting the ol' VCR clock. Technology is tough for people with low IQs. They tend to be NDP supporters, too, since Horgan wants to help them out. And after Urb just owned FF, I expect we've seen the last of her comments in this thread.

:kick: Do you need a coffee or a dessert to sweeten you up? :135:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Urbane wrote:
    flamingfingers wrote:^^And the governments of Bennett and the subsequent NDP government and the BC Liberal government did nothing. What is your point Urbane?

The BC Liberals had 16 years in power to change whatever they wanted to. What is their excuse?
Why do you have to make every discussion in to an anti-Liberal diatribe?? Seriously . . . why? Here's what actually happened with Dave Barrett:

The Daylight Savings fiasco, during which Mr. Barrett announced that Daylight Savings would kick in Jan. 6 to save energy costs, postponed it for a month, then finally killed the plan completely, snowed under by a blizzard of criticism and ridicule.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/br ... e11717634/

The problem, as some people saw it, was that BC's time wouldn't jibe with the time south of the border and that there would be all sorts of issues with airline schedules etc. Fiasco is the right word so any government contemplating a change that would mean our time is different than the time south of the border, in the pacific time zone, must be careful.

Your point about the Liberals doing nothing would appear to be wrong:

The province conducted a review of daylight saving time in 2006, and said the vast majority of those consulted were in favour of maintaining the status quo.
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/new-push-to-scrap ... -1.3613258

All FF did was make a statement. And I live to see that not every thing became an anti-NDP diatribe in every thread, or a knock against NDP supporters (Gone_Fishin :up: )

So the Liberals looked into it, did they form a committee to study the issue? Or discuss it over coffee at Starbux and decide in a hour?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Business around the world could not care less about a time change in this tiny part of the world we call BC.. Does Hong Kong care about BC activity on their stock market? Does Britain wait with bated breath to see what BC is doing as it wakes up 12 hours later?

Face it. We are a small and insignificant part of the world.
Chill
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

"The province conducted a review of daylight saving time in 2006, and said the vast majority of those consulted were in favour of maintaining the status quo."

Ya, the Liberals kept the status quo and Horgan is on record of saying he likes the status quo.

OMIGOD :panic:
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:Business around the world could not care less about a time change in this tiny part of the world we call BC.. Does Hong Kong care about BC activity on their stock market? Does Britain wait with bated breath to see what BC is doing as it wakes up 12 hours later?

Face it. We are a small and insignificant part of the world.
You have it backwards. It's that our provincial governments, including the NDP government of Dave Barrett, have thought it in our best interest to have our time jibe with other jurisdictions. The Barrett government bungled the issue but that was because of the flip-flop at the last minute. Given that you feel so strongly about having our Family Day coincide with other jurisdictions (I don't care when Family Day is) I'd think you would at least understand where governments have been coming from on the time issue.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Me feel 'strongly' about Family Day? Nope. Don't even care if we have Family Day!!

This map depicts countries that currently have DST, that previously had DST, and that never had DST. Today, approximately 70 countries utilize Daylight Saving Time in at least a portion of the country. Japan, India, and China are the only major industrialized countries that do not observe some form of daylight saving.

Only 70 countries out of nearly 200 countries observe daylight saving time. Silly changing time twice a year.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=how+many ... e&ie=UTF-8
Chill
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Dislike it, not to mention the synching stove and microwave clocks :/
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

One choice on top of the energy savings: either have evening daylight in the summer or send your kids to school in the dark in the winter.

Or leave it the way it is, change your clocks in the spring and fall, and have both.
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

This is truly the epitome of a "First World Problem".

If a one hour time change twice a year is enough to cause any amount of grief or chaos in your life I suggest you have bigger issues to worry about.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

flamingfingers wrote:Me feel 'strongly' about Family Day? Nope. Don't even care if we have Family Day!!

This map depicts countries that currently have DST, that previously had DST, and that never had DST. Today, approximately 70 countries utilize Daylight Saving Time in at least a portion of the country. Japan, India, and China are the only major industrialized countries that do not observe some form of daylight saving.

Only 70 countries out of nearly 200 countries observe daylight saving time. Silly changing time twice a year.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=how+many ... e&ie=UTF-8

Apologies, flamingfingers. I, too, had thought you were one of the ones pushing for the change. My mistake.

As I see it, the reason it didn't fly the last two times we tried it was that the majority of people in B.C. felt it would be a serious impediment to doing business with jurisdictions that do make the semiannual change.

I'm not sure they're right, since portions of B.C. seem quite able to manage and not every jurisdiction we deal with does the change. But that's the perception, and any government looking at doing it should learn from what happened when Barrett tried it, and approach it differently. Just as any government considering the HST should learn from Campbell's experience and approach it differently. Once people have already risen up in ire, they're not particularly open minded about best outcomes.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Urbane wrote:Why do you have to make every discussion in to an anti-Liberal diatribe?? Seriously . . . why?

removed.

Here's what actually happened with Dave Barrett:

The Daylight Savings fiasco, during which Mr. Barrett announced that Daylight Savings would kick in Jan. 6 to save energy costs, postponed it for a month, then finally killed the plan completely, snowed under by a blizzard of criticism and ridicule.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/br ... e11717634/

Why am I not surprised that the NDP would screw with something for no reason, and THEN totally mess it up. What a total shock.

Your point about the Liberals doing nothing would appear to be wrong:

The province conducted a review of daylight saving time in 2006, and said the vast majority of those consulted were in favour of maintaining the status quo.
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/new-push-to-scrap ... -1.3613258

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Saskatchewan stays on DST year round, it doesn’t seem to create any business or flight issues. I don’t see how conducting business with our neighbours to the south would be any more challenging than doing business with our neighbours to the east under different time zones.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Hurtlander wrote:Saskatchewan stays on DST year round, it doesn’t seem to create any business or flight issues. I don’t see how conducting business with our neighbours to the south would be any more challenging than doing business with our neighbours to the east under different time zones.

I was thinking of that too. I still remember how I lost an hour just by crossing the border near Estevan.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “B.C.”