Protest supports homeless

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Protest supports homeless

Post by Because_They_Lie »

A group of Grade 9 WL Seaton Secondary School students took to the steps of City Hall Saturday to protest what they called unfair treatment of homeless in the city.

Kieran Grandbois spoke on behalf of the protesters.

“We're here to protest the actions of the population of the city and the government against the homeless people,” said Grandbois. “There is a general ignorance that surrounds the situation, as often they are told to get a job, but it isn't that simple.”

Grandbois said by holding the protest, they hope to keep the homeless situation in the public eye.

“We wish to inspire a fresh wave of action in the community to solve this problem,” he said.

The group plans on meeting with city council about the matter later this year. They are also planning to hold fundraisers to keep the publics' attention on the matter.

Granbois said they are pleased with the action the province has taken to help the homeless, but said the city needs to direct more resources toward the situation.

He used a new aquatic centre as a example.

The city will begin discussing a new, multi-million dollar pool facility in 2019, but Grandbois said that money would be better served to help the marginalized population of Vernon.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/220222/Protest-supports-homeless

It is so good to see young people who are aware, who have a conscience and are actively willing to speak up.

I applaud their efforts, thank you!
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Protest supports homeless

Post by alanjh595 »

It's nice to see that these students have printed their message in a nice and organised fashion, within the boundaries of a placard that is so neat and tidy.
They conform to standards that others don't. Good for them.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

alanjh595 wrote:It's nice to see that these students have printed their message in a nice and organised fashion, within the boundaries of a placard that is so neat and tidy.
They conform to standards that others don't. Good for them.

Good for them for showing up the local ADULTS who do nothing but critisize and blame the less fortunate. Its great to see young people with conscience in tact!!!
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

I fully respect the youth for standing up for something they believe in and I applaud them for their efforts.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

Great photo op. I wonder if any of the kids have ever even spoken to a homeless person for real or are they just doing this at the idea of their parents. Do the understand the addiction that goes along with it or the mental health issues that usually go along with it. Having a protest to support the homelessness by kids has accomplished nothing but giving them a photo op. Someone tell me if I'm wrong and maybe some of the kids have worked in a soup kitchen or talk to the homeless or really truly understand what's at Play. But I guess it's a great opportunity for their parents to tell the world how great their kid is because of it
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

I guess I should explain why I think the whole photo op is silly and meaningless. They are protesting what they call the unfair treatment of the homeless. Do they mean unfair like the homeless openly do drugs on the streets and most of them Escape any kind of persecution because it's a drag on the courts and time for police. Or unfair that they can set up camp in large groups anywhere they want for a period of time until enough complaints come in. There are beds for them but most choose not to go there. I certainly wouldn't be able to take my tent in the middle of summer and camp out in a city park or anywhere there's a nice grassy area that I like.. you can't even Park your truck and camper in a Walmart parking lot and not be expected to get hassled. Or are they treated unfairly in the way that they can usually be provided Three Square meals a day and there's always a bed for them if they choose usually. I'm pretty sure they all know that there are programs available for them to help themselves but they once again choose not to. Or unfair that they can set up there begging business in the middle of a meridian right under a sign that clearly states it's illegal. Not much happens to most of them because it's a drain on the real issues.. yeah, they're really treated unfairly. (sarcasm) those are some of the reasons why I think the kids don't even understand what they're protesting
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

I agree that there's a lot of support out there for the homeless and that it seems to be growing by the day, I think the point of the post is that its nice to see youth getting engaged in community issues.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Chyren wrote:I agree that there's a lot of support out there for the homeless and that it seems to be growing by the day, I think the point of the post is that its nice to see youth getting engaged in community issues.

I could not disagree more with your statement. Where's the common sense in getting involved in an issue don't take the time to understand yet you take time to make nice placards telling what you're upset about. They're not doing it to help the homeless are doing it to feel better about themselves.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Chyren wrote:I agree that there's a lot of support out there for the homeless and that it seems to be growing by the day, I think the point of the post is that its nice to see youth getting engaged in community issues.

Aw yes. The blissful ignorance of youth.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Because_They_Lie
Banned

common_sense_guy wrote:

I could not disagree more with your statement. Where's the common sense in getting involved in an issue don't take the time to understand yet you take time to make nice placards telling what you're upset about. They're not doing it to help the homeless are doing it to feel better about themselves.

This is your opinion.

What is good about doing "the right thing" is that it does actually feel good.

If you knew these young people you wouldn't make the kind of comment you made above.

Most likely your statement is a projection.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Rider59 wrote:

Aw yes. The blissful ignorance of youth.

Aww yes, the idealism of youth.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

common_sense_guy wrote:Great photo op. I wonder if any of the kids have ever even spoken to a homeless person for real or are they just doing this at the idea of their parents. Do the understand the addiction that goes along with it or the mental health issues that usually go along with it. Having a protest to support the homelessness by kids has accomplished nothing but giving them a photo op. Someone tell me if I'm wrong and maybe some of the kids have worked in a soup kitchen or talk to the homeless or really truly understand what's at Play. But I guess it's a great opportunity for their parents to tell the world how great their kid is because of it

great point
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
common_sense_guy
Übergod

This is your opinion.

What is good about doing "the right thing" is that it does actually feel good.

If you knew these young people you wouldn't make the kind of comment you made above.

Most likely your statement is a projection.[/quote]
That's only your opinion. They're doing the right thing. Protesting something they don't even understand and they're not even accurate about? Are you saying that's the right thing? I don't need to know the kids to realize they don't know what they're talking about when they're protesting the unfair treatment of the homeless. Did you read any of the reasons why in my opinion the homeless are not treated unfairly and can you respond to each of those or give examples how the homeless are treated unfairly. The only unfair treatment I see them getting is people trying to make themselves feel better for pretending to care and make a difference for them. If they wanted to truly make a difference it could have spent their time instead of protesting helping out down at the soup kitchen or donating their time actually working with them firsthand.
Don.J.Trump

Post by Don.J.Trump »

Future Canadian Politician in the making. Has no real life experience, and no actual idea or plan on what to do to fix the issue :up:
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

How do any of you even know WHAT they've done or what they've researched? You all assume they're naive kids who want a photo op, yet, they're standing out there trying to bring visibility to a message that's important to them.

How can this be ever looked at as a negative thing? They're kids who are, by nature of being there, doing more than most. Its a lot more than complaining behind a keyboard.

I still feel that its nice to see kids standing up for an issue. Again its an issue I feel that we've been working hard at and I don't agree with their perspective but I do feel its good they're speaking out.

Return to “Social Concerns”