Ella

Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Ella

Post by Scrobins94 »

I believe the Ellis Parc development was mentioning they would try to attract a supermarket as one of its commercial tenants.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

SteWe wrote:Bigger cities have smaller grocery stores in retail spaces like those specifically built for Ella. We live in the north end along Sunset and a store really needs to be located over here. I suspect the One Water dev. will obviously bring that.

The store on St. Paul that someone suggested (it is/was up for sale) is kinda meh – it's located in a brutally ugly building as well, so that doesn't help.

The Safeway on Bernard is not great, but serves a purpose sure. We do most of our shopping there by foot (or Nesters on Gordon), and when it's cold, we shop by car elsewhere. The newly opened One Big Table on St Paul is great too for specialty items. There are a general lack of food options downtown with respect to home cooking. The developments being built will no doubt change this.

I think only when the city and businesses and those thinking of opening up shops specifically catering to food figure out what might change and how it may all work, that we're likely to then see options open up.

Downtown is due for some more food shopping options. It'll keep us out of the car even more so. :D

Well so much for the master planners at city hall, you know, the ones that the Mayor and council are not taking advice from. Since they probably don't shop for their own food, they don't give it much thought. Or maybe in their fantasy everyone takes their meals at a gourmet restaurant or orders takeout.
Over the past few years we have been fed a steady diet of "compact urban form, build up not out and live where you work" and other such crap. How are you supposed to do that when you have to jump in the car to get your basic necessities for living?
What if you don't have a car? Car share?
If that isn't bad enough, downtown is blocked from the north and the west making it the least accessible part of the city.
Meanwhile, areas of the city are begging for basic services like sidewalks, community sanitary sewers and god forbid, water from a community water system. Oh well, all roads lead to city hall don't they?
I prefer a model that has satellite shopping centres that provide enough of the basics that residents don't need to drive across town to find them. N Glenmore finally got a medical lab which saves a lot of travelling for residents who formerly needed to drive to Rutland or Springfield for service. There are now more Dentists and Dr's and finally more than one resturant.
The whole notion of a vibrant downtown is great but at least get some basics delivered to the parts of the community that needs them before lavishing excessively on the downtown. Four walking cycling options on Ethyl? Who's dream is that from? Outrageous!
Waste not
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

one can now get their groceries delivered right to their home...was at Save On More the other day and saw their delivery truck and it was packed..guess lots of people are using the service...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

SteWe wrote:Bigger cities have smaller grocery stores in retail spaces like those specifically built for Ella. We live in the north end along Sunset and a store really needs to be located over here. I suspect the One Water dev. will obviously bring that.

The store on St. Paul that someone suggested (it is/was up for sale) is kinda meh – it's located in a brutally ugly building as well, so that doesn't help.

Yep, those are glorified convenience stores with prices that match.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Evan
Board Meister

Post by Evan »

W105 wrote:one can now get their groceries delivered right to their home...was at Save On More the other day and saw their delivery truck and it was packed..guess lots of people are using the service...

I live in Victoria now, and honestly that's what we do. Live downtown here, we have The Market near us, but it's expensive, so we use Save on Foods delivery. The delivery charge varies by time, but it's not bad, and I save money... and don't have to leave the house to shop! Win win!
To be inspired.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Evan wrote:
W105 wrote:one can now get their groceries delivered right to their home...was at Save On More the other day and saw their delivery truck and it was packed..guess lots of people are using the service...

I live in Victoria now, and honestly that's what we do. Live downtown here, we have The Market near us, but it's expensive, so we use Save on Foods delivery. The delivery charge varies by time, but it's not bad, and I save money... and don't have to leave the house to shop! Win win!

Maybe a little off the Ella topic ... I like the idea of home delivery for groceries ... and packaged things would be ok of course ... but I like to look at the produce I'm buying, you know... I like my bananas a certain ripeness, firm apples, and just to make sure that stuff isn't bruised or overripe already... not sure how that's handled with delivery.
Evan
Board Meister

Post by Evan »

RVThereYet wrote: Maybe a little off the Ella topic ... I like the idea of home delivery for groceries ... and packaged things would be ok of course ... but I like to look at the produce I'm buying, you know... I like my bananas a certain ripeness, firm apples, and just to make sure that stuff isn't bruised or overripe already... not sure how that's handled with delivery.

I've always received very nice looking produce, but I am not too picky... I feel the personal shoppers likely get a wider selection from the back etc. to ensure you get nice stuff.
To be inspired.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

This city always worries more about putting up buildings, roads and amenities come last..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
spooker

Post by spooker »

We live near downtown ... and since the beginning of the year we've rarely gone to a grocery store ... might've gone to Costco once for toilet paper ... we switched to using Dolan's for dairy and Urban Harvest for the rest ... helps with budgeting and not buying extra stuff we just "see" when we used to shop ...

Lots of options ...
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

Evan wrote:I live in Victoria now, and honestly that's what we do. Live downtown here, we have The Market near us, but it's expensive, so we use Save on Foods delivery. The delivery charge varies by time, but it's not bad, and I save money... and don't have to leave the house to shop! Win win!

Waay too funny...

First of all; why is a Victoria resident concerning themselves with this issue?

Second of all; the funny part...

People who willingly resign themselves to living their lives, stacked up in concrete hamster cages and now finding glee in having food delivered to them, just like an actual hamster in a cage, and then actually admitting their hamster cage aspirations on an online forum as if we should all have the same low expectations in life.

:biggrin: [icon_lol2.gif] :smt045 :laugh:

Waay too funny...

:popcorn:

PS:

Castanet needs to add a hamster in a cage emoticon...
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

^^ So someone chooses to live their life differently from what you do, and that makes it OK for you to mock them, on an internet forum? :200:

Pathetic!
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

Old Techie wrote:^^ So someone chooses to live their life differently from what you do, and that makes it OK for you to mock them, on an internet forum? :200:

Pathetic!

On a PUBLIC forum?

Yes...

Most definitely.

This whole farcical concept that we are now being fed, that living "up" in concrete hamster cages is what is best for Kelowna needs to be addressed and called out for what it really is.

It's a sign of human failure, of giving up on what has for thousands of years made us human. That limits to creative living have been reached and that we are showing signs of becoming an overpopulated, pollution producing tumorous mass on the planet.

A sign that our connection to mother nature has been lost and that we are being dehumanized en masse by the forces of greed.

So yeah; mocking the laziness and complacency within the citizenry that is obliterating the beautiful town that once was here, and replacing it with concrete erections, built by developers, who have no knowledge of historic Kelowna values of community, and who have already established their concrete destructions in big cities, and who now are bringing these concrete erections, that do not accommodate anyone but the affluent, as a testament to their self aggrandizing selves and selling these egoistic developments to those who have simply given up, is well with targeting range.

In my humble opinion of course.

Shot over...

Shot out...
Evan
Board Meister

Post by Evan »

Terris wrote:
Evan wrote:I live in Victoria now, and honestly that's what we do. Live downtown here, we have The Market near us, but it's expensive, so we use Save on Foods delivery. The delivery charge varies by time, but it's not bad, and I save money... and don't have to leave the house to shop! Win win!

Waay too funny...

First of all; why is a Victoria resident concerning themselves with this issue?

Second of all; the funny part...

People who willingly resign themselves to living their lives, stacked up in concrete hamster cages and now finding glee in having food delivered to them, just like an actual hamster in a cage, and then actually admitting their hamster cage aspirations on an online forum as if we should all have the same low expectations in life.

:biggrin: [icon_lol2.gif] :smt045 :laugh:

Waay too funny...

:popcorn:

PS:

Castanet needs to add a hamster in a cage emoticon...

First of all, I was unaware that only people who reside in Kelowna could ever think about, have an opinion, or discuss Kelowna.

Second of all, how dare you make any sort of judgements on my life or how I live it. I love my apartment, I love living downtown, and I love not having a car. Having groceries delivered makes life a whole lot easier when adding in work schedule, time, the bus. So thanks, but your opinion was not asked. I was just sharing with someone how I find it benefits me.

And last of all. I was born and raised in Kelowna, lived there for 20 years, moved to the coast for school. I love my hometown, and will always check in here and contribute to the discussion.
To be inspired.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Times are changing. With services like Skip The Dishes, meal prep delivery services and grocery deliveries, city dwellers dont need convenient access to grocery stores Many don’t even have cars, relying on transit, rideshares or car shares to get around.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

I will gladly pay an extra 10% to not watch a cashier look me in the face as she tosses my crap down a belt instead of taking the same amount of time to put it in a bag, lol

Sure wish it would be nice to be able to pay extra for food just to not have the perceived feeling someone's looking at me. Oh no not looking at me in the face
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.

Return to “Central Okanagan”