Feds eye tougher gun laws

Blindeyes2020
Fledgling

Feds eye tougher gun laws

Post by Blindeyes2020 »

Yeah because more indepth background checks stop the criminals buying atolen firearms and killing people with them. Another waste of money that penalizes the law abiding citizen.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/22 ... r-gun-laws
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Feds eye tougher gun laws

Post by the truth »

100% correct,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

The majority of law abiding citizens are not firearms owners, the majority of firearms owners don't have an RPAL, this is a tiny price to pay for public safety. Nothing to hide, nothing to fear. The harder it is for the general public to get handguns the fewer end up in circulation.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Brass Monkey wrote:The majority of law abiding citizens are not firearms owners, the majority of firearms owners don't have an RPAL, this is a tiny price to pay for public safety. Nothing to hide, nothing to fear. The harder it is for the general public to get handguns the fewer end up in circulation.

Tgis has nothing to do with public safety
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Blindeyes2020
Fledgling

Post by Blindeyes2020 »

Another uninformed anti.
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

Jflem1983 wrote:
Brass Monkey wrote:The majority of law abiding citizens are not firearms owners, the majority of firearms owners don't have an RPAL, this is a tiny price to pay for public safety. Nothing to hide, nothing to fear. The harder it is for the general public to get handguns the fewer end up in circulation.

Tgis has nothing to do with public safety

When we let criminals get their hands on firearms because of an abundance of guns in circulation then it becomes a public safety concern. Look to our friends down south for an example. It took me 2 months to get my handgun, not once did I feel like I was being targeted as a law abiding citizen.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

I feel like these posts have a tendency to oversimplify people into criminals and not criminals. Of course hardened organized criminals are going to find guns regardless of the laws. I think there's a bit of a gradient in between those two points. There are going to be all sorts of faux criminals, potential criminals, and stupid people making bad decisions in this gradient zone.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

CapitalB wrote:I feel like these posts have a tendency to oversimplify people into criminals and not criminals. Of course hardened organized criminals are going to find guns regardless of the laws. I think there's a bit of a gradient in between those two points. There are going to be all sorts of faux criminals, potential criminals, and stupid people making bad decisions in this gradient zone.

So u know gun control wont work. But support it just cuz. Thanks for coming out
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Centurion
Board Meister

Post by Centurion »

Lets just outlaw murder, problem solved.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

KiloHotel wrote:
CapitalB wrote:I feel like these posts have a tendency to oversimplify people into criminals and not criminals. Of course hardened organized criminals are going to find guns regardless of the laws. I think there's a bit of a gradient in between those two points. There are going to be all sorts of faux criminals, potential criminals, and stupid people making bad decisions in this gradient zone.

Yeah but low level criminals probably know higher level criminals or someone who does, and those higher level criminals will gladly sell the lower level criminals illegal weapons.

A lot of them don't know criminals though they just like the idea of criminals. They dress like gangsters and want to stick guns in their pants and do drugs. I don't really party anymore but when I did it seemed like there were just tonnes of them.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

We travel quite a bit in the US, and seldom think about the difference in their gun laws. But it's not particularly comfortable to find yourself in a family restaurant next to a table where someone's packing. The only thing I know about this person is that they're A.O.K. with engaging in gunfire (and maybe even a bit excited for the possibility.) Good shot? Who knows? So that gets me thinking about where I want to be if something does happen, and it sure isn't anywhere near some stranger who's prepared for an exchange of gunfire. He's gonna contribute, and he's gonna draw fire, and there I am in the hot zone. The fact he's packing "legally" makes no never mind. Even if he's the best shot and most level-headed fella in the world, he's not contributing to my safety by making it easy for people packing to blend in. So much for peaceful enjoyment of the meal, time to scoot. Ditto for when he shows up in the sunscreen aisle in Walmart.

It's just a very different attitude.And that's the states with open carry. Then there's concealed.

Like I said, I really don't think about it much, just when confronted with it. And it's a weird thing to be confronted with people feeling the need to be armed to take their kids out for lunch or shopping for sunscreen at Walmart.

Canada seems to have achieved a reasonable balance of rights and responsibilities. Remember the rack in the back window of every pickup truck? My dad wasn't pleased to have to store his rifle out of sight instead of in the rack behind our heads, but it was nice not to thump up against it when we bounced over gravel roads. My ex was rather hysterical about what it meant when they brought in stricter controls some years back. For me, it was a relief not to have to nag about proper storage when the kids had their friends over. Dad and the ex got over their ire eventually. They still got to hunt and protect their critters against varmints, hunting didn't end, we didn't need to take up arms against the government, the sky didn't fall, life went on.

Some parts of the US really are like travelling back in time. Glad Canada's ahead of the curve. Not sure what more needs to be done.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

oldtrucker wrote:"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
---Thomas Jefferson
Posted that not long ago in another thread; seemed applicable to this one.

I'm not a 'arm the people' gun nut , but I do get that people living in rural areas pretty much have to have guns.
The laws are already tight enough. Even if all firearms were entirely banned from the land, criminals would still obtain them.

Yeah, my rambling post was meant to say: I'm pretty sure what we have in Canada is working well enough.

Seems to me more any restrictions would be a paperwork exercise to frustrate ordinary, honest people with no real impact on firearms used in crimes.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

The majority of people killed by firearms in Canada are killed by someone they know e.g. family member during a domestic dispute. The so called "criminals" that gun control opponents talk about don't typically run around killing random people. You're much more likely to be killed by your brother. So, even though guns do fall into the wrong hands, I'm not about the arm myself in case some goof with a gun picks me at random.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

techrtr wrote:

The majority of people killed by firearms in Canada are killed by someone they know e.g. family member during a domestic dispute. The so called "criminals" that gun control opponents talk about don't typically run around killing random people. You're much more likely to be killed by your brother. So, even though guns do fall into the wrong hands, I'm not about the arm myself in case some goof with a gun picks me at random.

Most gun shot victims. Far and away are suicides. Its like 80 percent.

CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Jflem1983 wrote:

Most gun shot victims. Far and away are suicides. Its like 80 percent.

Thats one of those stats that gets lots too easily. Like how more American soldiers kill themselves than die in combat.

Return to “Canada”