Rutland Transit Exchange

Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Rutland Transit Exchange

Post by Catri »

I'm not a transit user and I only drive up Dougall Road every couple of months, but in the 4+ years it's been there, I have never seen a bus (or any people for that matter) in the Rutland Transit Exchange so I had a look at the bus routes and it seems that it's not actually on any of them. There was a fairly big hoopla and grand plans when it was opened in 2013 https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/9 ... in-Rutland and yet it seems to be just sitting there, unused and unloved. White elephant much?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Rutland Transit Exchange

Post by Lady tehMa »

Huh, I don't recall ever seeing it in use either :135:
I haven't failed until I quit.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I go to the market on sundays. Used to often. Never seen a person or a bus at that loop .

Funny i never see the HOV lanes being used properly either. Maybe all this progressive nonsense is just no good . People are not interested
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

Will have to check with one of my regular bus drivers. Remember one of them saying that transit loop wasn't designed properly so buses couldn't access the drop off/pick up points.
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

whitecandle wrote:Will have to check with one of my regular bus drivers. Remember one of them saying that transit loop wasn't designed properly so buses couldn't access the drop off/pick up points.

Wow! That would make sense as a reason for not using it, but disheartening to think they would drop the ball that badly. Of course that it's sitting idle after all this time does suggest a pretty big ball drop.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Rutland Exchange was built wrong and the big buses can't access it. Talked to transit and the lady said it's up to the City of Kelowna to rectify the problem. Hah, don't hold your breath on that getting done in a timely fashion.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Didn't they screw up the bus stops on Hwy 97 when they were built too? I seem to recall them being too high for the Buses.

Those Engineers must have been Home Schooled. :D
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

oneh2obabe wrote:Rutland Exchange was built wrong and the big buses can't access it. Talked to transit and the lady said it's up to the City of Kelowna to rectify the problem. Hah, don't hold your breath on that getting done in a timely fashion.

That is awesome on so many levels. Awesome meaning dumb and stupid.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Bsuds wrote:Didn't they screw up the bus stops on Hwy 97 when they were built too? I seem to recall them being too high for the Buses.

Those Engineers must have been Home Schooled. :D

Yep, curbs were too high for the buses. They had to redo them before announcing Rapid Transit was ready to go.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Only the #14 is able to use the Rutland exchange due to the size of the bus, if conventional buses are to be able to access it, the exchange needs to be larger - BC Transit is actively trying to get approval but there are some groups stalling it.

IIRC, it was designed with the newer, smaller 30ft conventional buses in mind, not the standard 40ft - however, the ridership on the number 8/10 runs far out exceed the capacity of the smaller buses.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

oneh2obabe wrote:Rutland Exchange was built wrong and the big buses can't access it. Talked to transit and the lady said it's up to the City of Kelowna to rectify the problem. Hah, don't hold your breath on that getting done in a timely fashion.

Hopefully the engineer involved was given the boot over this one, as Bsuds said home schooled engineering. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Looks like someone lit a fire under CoK's *bleep* ...

RFQ to identify qualified respondents posted yesterday
https://www.kelowna.ca/business-service ... nd-transit

Scope of Work
https://kelowna.bonfirehub.ca/opportunities/13619
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Mar 7th, 2018, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

oneh2obabe wrote:Yep, curbs were too high for the buses. They had to redo them before announcing Rapid Transit was ready to go.

The curbs were too high for the buses that weren't intended to be used on the 97x due to the door design on the Enviro500s and NewFlyers - they were designed specifically for the intended bus on the route, the Nova LFS, as it would allow the bus floor to match curb height eliminating the need to deploy the wheelchair ramp and expediting the boarding/unboarding process.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Catri wrote:I'm not a transit user and I only drive up Dougall Road every couple of months, but in the 4+ years it's been there, I have never seen a bus (or any people for that matter) in the Rutland Transit Exchange so I had a look at the bus routes and it seems that it's not actually on any of them. There was a fairly big hoopla and grand plans when it was opened in 2013 https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/9 ... in-Rutland and yet it seems to be just sitting there, unused and unloved. White elephant much?

I drive by the Rutland Exchange on a regular basis and it never occurred to me the reason there were no buses there was due to the inability to fit. It doesn't surprise me given the competence of the high priced planning staff at the City of Kelowna that City council does not listen to. If it was you or me presenting the design it would be panned by staff. There really are a bunch of incompetent goofs in there that have been there too long but somehow manage to rise up the ranks and end up in dead end positions ready to block every fresh new idea that comes in the door.
Someone had an idea and it was more about giving Rutland something, anything to make them feel they were getting a perk.
How much did the fancy galvanized steel sign cost? Now they seem to think that the road needs to be pushed through the park to Rutland Road to somehow justify the whole project.
Waste not
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I sincerely hope that moving forward with phase 2 isn't throwing good money after bad. I can't help thinking that if this had been built anywhere within 1000m of the lake there would have been some remedial action before 4 years had passed, but Rutland, well, it's outside the lakeside zone of civic importance, isn't it?

Return to “Central Okanagan”