Cat scared silly

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Cat scared silly

Post by Queen K »

I adopted a new cat, someone could not keep him and I did. I was told he would eventually come around and come out of hiding, but what I was not aware of is that this cat is afraid of EVERYTHING people orientated.

We can't walk into a room if this cat is in it, he jumps and runs like we are trying to kill him.

He hides for hours, coming out for food and water. We can't walk near or past him or even get up and he panics and runs.

He will play with a light, if we are discretely shining it at a distance.

He will jump up on a bed, if I am under the covers, he likes to attack feet.

He will not relax and learn that he is in the ultimate cat lovers paradise. One huge cat tree, two window seats, lots of room to roam.

I don't know if there is just a time element or if a treatment can be done.

I haven't had this before, any advice? Can a vet help?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Cat scared silly

Post by oneh2obabe »

How long have you had him? It can take some cats months to get acclimatized to a new home.

You probably know most of these hints, but might be worth the read just in case.
https://www.paws.org/library/cats/home- ... at-adjust/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
cubafreak
Board Meister

Post by cubafreak »

give it some time, cats take a while before they trust..I am looking forward to your future posts where you tell us all how crazy fun the new cat is!!!! keep us posted on your progress get some really good catnip...that might help!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The kitty has been in the house for a just over two weeks. He's not trusting us no how.

I have catnip growing outside now, it's fresh. I have decided to go cat toy shopping tomorrow. He does play, like crazy with the light, shadows, toys.

At night he hangs out with us upstairs, but don't dare get up, or move, otherwise he runs.

I'll make this a blog about progess.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The crazy thing is one night he meowed like Geronimo! And jumped up on the sofa with us. I pretended to not see him but let him settle in, sniff hands and in general "fit in." He does get up on the sofa with Mr. QK, but me? NOOOO WAAAYYY.

:135:
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Awww. Poor guy. Sounds like he just needs to feel safe. It is still early. Maybe try to figure out if he is a ground cat or a tree cat. Most have a preference. Some love to be in the cat tree so they can survey their kingdom. Others prefer to stay on the ground and stalk around the furniture. Give him a few options and he will decide. Block off any places he can hide, like in closets or under beds.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

He's up on a window sill right now, laying down. but I would say he's a ground cat more. He refuses to go up to the top of the cat tree where Willow hangs out mostly.

Oddly he will hunt Willow's tail. :135:
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Queen K wrote: He does get up on the sofa with Mr. QK, but me? NOOOO WAAAYYY.

So he's a smart Kitty... :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Ordinarily I'd take that in a light hearted way but right now it's just a downer. :cry:
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Just give him time. 2 weeks isn't long enough.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Last night he was jumping up on the sofa with Mr. QK and lying down. If I made a move off my computer chair which is clear across the house, his radar was "on."
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Bsuds wrote:Just give him time. 2 weeks isn't long enough.

Totally agree with this. Your expectations are too high. If he had some trauma in his life you have to gain his trust. If he is thinking you are going to kill him at any and every moment, he does what he has to do but it will get better.
:up:
You and 71 others Like this post
cubafreak
Board Meister

Post by cubafreak »

If you can get close enough give him a brush..cats love to be brushed!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

We have a rescued cat that needed to be ignored, any attention at all, even a glance was enough to send her into hiding. After about 6 months she came around and now we can't get her off our laps. Think that simply feeding her finally developed into trust. So hang in there Queen, you're exactly what this poor cats needs to get over whatever it's endured in the past.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

It can take a rescue cat up to 12 months to get used to a new home. And the cat will pick the person it feels most comfortable with and ignore the rest of the family. Looks like the cat has chosen Mr QK as his so don't be upset when it tolerates you for being in his territory.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “The Pet Lounge”