AR15 and mods

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: AR15 and mods

Post by Bsuds »

puterbrother wrote:Ripping an arm off ? I call BS ! I've shot an AR15 with all different kinds of ammo from military surplus to hunting ammo. No Way !

That is what they claimed (and the Military never lied to us... :smt045 ) but I think the ammo used was considered illegal and never put into production.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Bsuds wrote:
puterbrother wrote:Ripping an arm off ? I call BS ! I've shot an AR15 with all different kinds of ammo from military surplus to hunting ammo. No Way !

That is what they claimed (and the Military never lied to us... :smt045 ) but I think the ammo used was considered illegal and never put into production.

I got a 308. Semi auto. Clone of an m1a or m14. Bet it would blow someones arm clean off. I have bucked a few small trees with that gun. Shes a chopper
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

That is what they claimed (and the Military never lied to us... :smt045 ) but I think the ammo used was considered illegal and never put into production.[/quote]

I understand expanding bullets in soldiers fire arms are illegal for military use. Solid ( FMJ ) or ball ammo only. Weird as hunters are only allowed expanding bullets for hunting game.

I personally don't believe the AR are really necessary. I also understand that rifle and other military looking rifles/carbines are available to Canadians if they possess the restricted PAL. Another level ( Day) of a course and I believe more restrictive ownership and conveying rules.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
puterbrother
Board Meister

Post by puterbrother »

Seewood;
respectfully...I don't think you get it.The .223 round,as fired in the AR15,is also chambered in quite a few rifles,single shots,bolt action repeaters as well as pump action rifles.Very,very common and highly popular round.This caliber is used for gopher hunting,Marmot hunting,coyote hunting,target practice,competition etc.It is deemed the minimum caliber allowable for deer hunting and in most camps is not even considered for that.Hunters won't use it because of the risk of wounding only.Commercially available ammunition is usually only available in 55 grain full metal jacket which is not allowed for hunting big game and is really only useful for plinking and target practice.There is some ammo available for hunting but personally I've not seen it on gun shop shelves.A testament to it's lack of power from a hunters point of view.
I have a bolt action "varmint rifle" chambered in .223 and find it very accurate,cheap and easy to shoot.In fact both my daughters have shot my rifle and are actually better shots than I am and have fun shooting animal cookies out to 100 yards with it.I like the AR15 and if it wasn't restricted would probably buy one just because it has that military heritage and I do support our Canadian troops.My father and Grandfather both served in the Canadian military.They both shouldered an M14 rifle.We enjoy the civilian version of that rifle in the semi auto Springfield M1A and it's variants.The AR15 is Just a natural progression of military history,as far as I'm concerned.Some folks don't like the way it looks but it is still just the same old semi auto technology from many years gone by.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

puterbrother wrote:respectfully...I don't think you get it.

Respecfully I believe I do get it. I am very aware the .223 can be found in single shot, Ruger for example, and also as a caliber offered in the Thompson Contender I believe. A fellow I know has that caliber in a Remington tactical and claims to be comfortable hitting clay targets(stationary) at 500+ yards. (I went with a 700P in .308)
I still believe these military looking rifles where these mods are available to adapt the semi auto function to full auto is not really necessary in todays world.
I believe there are things available else ware and we don't have access to them for whatever the reason.
I to would like someday to have a M-14 but a Springfield Match, not a Norinco clone. ( never thought the Canadian military used the M-14. Went from the Lee-Enfield to the FN C-1 for their battle rifle)
If anything , keep them restricted in Canada. That I believe is a compromise from widely available and prohibited.
puterbrother
Board Meister

Post by puterbrother »

Seewood;
I must caution you on your use of terms.When you say that there are devices out there that turn a semi auto into full auto,that is technically false.These devices just increase the rate of fire faster than the human finger can pull the trigger.You give the impression that the gun is converted to full auto.From what I know of you.I know you know.
Like I said before,because the AR is just another semi-auto there's no reason to have it restricted IMHO.Just another knee jerk reaction by the RCMP elite.
I could be wrong about my father and grandfather using the M14.The pictures I have are not that clear.I'd have to look into that.BTW,The springfield Match is one nice rifle,heavy and awfully expensive though.LOL....Cheers.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

FN C-1 semi auto but evidently in conversation with some way back when, a matchstick on the " sear-pin? " could turn it into full auto. Barrel drooped ( perhaps not really but accuracy suffered) after a 20 round clip was fired in one go, was originally designed for semi fire. Later C-2's had thicker barrel for full auto option. FN's were the battle rifle for most commonwealth countries for quite a number of years.
Yes, I stand corrected. The semi autos do not have the selector for 3 round or full auto. Just aftermarket add-ons to make them fire like an full auto. Burn through a barrel pretty quick then.

Return to “World”