Towers planned next to mall

Frisk
Guru

Towers planned next to mall

Post by Frisk »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-220547-1-.htm#220547

Wow, 24 and 27 stories. Kelowna is gonna be looking like a mini Vancouver pretty soon.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Towers planned next to mall

Post by vegas1500 »

Good maybe it will help with all the people that can’t afford to live there.....oh right, the new tax will fix that.....
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Oh no. It will block someone's mall view.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Good spot. Close to the mall and walking/biking distance to Superstore.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Scrobins94 wrote:Good spot. Close to the mall and walking/biking distance to Superstore.

Also close to the Liquor Store.
Walk to everything you need and you can see the lake from the 3rd floor up. Good location.
Waste not
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Better there that some of the other planned towers. So much land sitting around the Mall area, rather towers than the weeds and dirt blowing.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Does that 4 acres include the Farmers Market site?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Anonymous123 wrote:Does that 4 acres include the Farmers Market site?

The land includes the old school board office plus 2 or 3 lots behind it. One of those lots was 0.8 acre that sold to the school district in about 1990 which shows how long property has to be held before it is redeveloped.
The paved parking lot where the famer's market is held is not part of the sale.
Waste not
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Seems like a good spot.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Now that Orchard Park has ruined the view of the lake from that site, they have no alternative but to go up. :biggrin:
You and 71 others Like this post
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Brandon Crema, District’s executive vice-president, said his company’s “first cut at” the development plan has the concrete towers stretching 24 and 27 storeys high, filled primarily with for-sale condos.

I find this statement interesting. What exactly does he mean by "first cut at"?
Is he inferring that the "first phase" will be 24 & 27 story towers or, like Westcorp, is this just the developers "first kick at the cat" before Council and could very well end up being 40 or more storeys in later applications?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I think that this is a great location. It will be good for all the businesses in the area and excellent for the farmer's market. I would like to see the farmer's market expanded to have better parking and maybe even one row of covered stalls with power to extend the season for some crafters. I would also like to see permanent washrooms (with limited hours).
I think that this may make a great location and opportunity for a night market as well to include "street food" and shopping.
Works great in China and Mexico.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Scrobins94 wrote:Good spot. Close to the mall and walking/biking distance to Superstore.

Grandan wrote:Also close to the Liquor Store.
Walk to everything you need and you can see the lake from the 3rd floor up. Good location.

normaM wrote:Better there that some of the other planned towers. So much land sitting around the Mall area, rather towers than the weeds and dirt blowing.

Hassel99 wrote:Seems like a good spot.

alanjh595 wrote:I think that this is a great location. It will be good for all the businesses in the area and excellent for the farmer's market. I would like to see the farmer's market expanded to have better parking and maybe even one row of covered stalls with power to extend the season for some crafters. I would also like to see permanent washrooms (with limited hours).
I think that this may make a great location and opportunity for a night market as well to include "street food" and shopping.
Works great in China and Mexico.

Has hell frozen over? Castanutter's agreeing on a topic like this? :200:

Or have my sarcasm detectors gone kaputt? :biggrin:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I think they should make it higher, much higher, like a 100 stories of architectural wonderment, forever making a statement in regards to high density housing. :biggrin: :runforlife:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by sublime »

Dizzy1 wrote: Has hell frozen over? Castanutter's agreeing on a topic like this? :200:

Or have my sarcasm detectors gone kaputt? :biggrin:

Naw I think most would agree it's in a good place. However if it was directly on the water downtown...not so much. People don't have a problem with building up assuming its in a location that doesn't detract from the surroundings.
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.

Return to “Central Okanagan”