Straw man arguments and you.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Straw man arguments and you.

Post by CapitalB »

I've noticed this type of argument being used almost constantly on these forums. This is concerning to me as straw man arguments interrupt constructive discourse and debate. I get the feeling that a lot of the people using them don't know that its even a thing, so I'm posting a link to this lovely education video by PBS's Idea Channel. Maybe we'll see fewer straw man arguments on the board, or maybe people will be able to call them out more when they see it.

All for the goal of productive constructive discourse between conflicting views of course.

Last edited by CapitalB on Mar 7th, 2018, 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
GenesisGT
Guru

Re: Strawman arguments and you.

Post by GenesisGT »

If you need to see the Strawman argument in use, watch Tucker Carlson on Fox News.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Strawman arguments and you.

Post by Bsuds »

Sorry but Strawman and Straw Man are 2 different things.

I think you are referring to the Straw Man arguments.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Straw_man

I had to look up a written explanation because my hearing and laptop speakers do not get along. lol
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Straw man arguments and you.

Post by CapitalB »

Thanks for the point out, I have added the requisite single space that I missed.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

CapitalB wrote:Thanks for the point out, I have added the requisite single space that I missed.

Could be confusing when basically the same words have 2 different meanings.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Thanks for the video. Hopefully it does enlighten some people.

It's funny though.. I can't have a discussion with my wife about anything without her attempting to reconstruct my argument in a simpler form so that she can cut down one of the points that she misrepresented. It always makes me mad !!!
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

youjustcomplain wrote:Thanks for the video. Hopefully it does enlighten some people.

It's funny though.. I can't have a discussion with my wife about anything without her attempting to reconstruct my argument in a simpler form so that she can cut down one of the points that she misrepresented. It always makes me mad !!!

Idea channel has a whole series on arguing correctly, just saying ;]. The whole series is really good and I would suggest at least picking through the episodes to see if any are of interest. They choose a thing and over think it in every episode, they do a really good job of showing multiple sides of every idea.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

CapitalB wrote:I've noticed this type of argument being used almost constantly on these forums. This is concerning to me as straw man arguments interrupt constructive discourse and debate. I get the feeling that a lot of the people using them don't know that its even a thing, so I'm posting a link to this lovely education video by PBS's Idea Channel. Maybe we'll see fewer straw man arguments on the board, or maybe people will be able to call them out more when they see it.

All for the goal of productive constructive discourse between conflicting views of course.

Oh, so what you’re saying is we can’t even have discussion unless it’s how you want it to be done?

:biggrin: :biggrin:
You and 71 others Like this post
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

LANDM wrote:
CapitalB wrote:I've noticed this type of argument being used almost constantly on these forums. This is concerning to me as straw man arguments interrupt constructive discourse and debate. I get the feeling that a lot of the people using them don't know that its even a thing, so I'm posting a link to this lovely education video by PBS's Idea Channel. Maybe we'll see fewer straw man arguments on the board, or maybe people will be able to call them out more when they see it.

Oh, so what you’re saying is we can’t even have discussion unless it’s how you want it to be done?

I hope those big grins are there to illustrate that you are literally making a straw man in your post.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

CapitalB wrote:I hope those big grins are there to illustrate that you are literally making a straw man in your post.

I'm quite certain that is what happened. made me laugh. :)
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

So frustrating when someone pulls this on you. When it happens, I usually just end the conversation. When it occurs the person you're conversing with just wants to be "right" and doesn't actually care about the topic at hand or simply refuses to consider your arguement. No way it's going to be a productive conversation at that point.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

CapitalB wrote:
LANDM wrote:Oh, so what you’re saying is we can’t even have discussion unless it’s how you want it to be done?

I hope those big grins are there to illustrate that you are literally making a straw man in your post.

Oh sure, now you’re saying I can’t even respond without you saying it’s a straw man argument!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I added one more big grin to hopefully make it clear that yes, I was fully aware of that.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Haha I'm glad, it gets hard to tell the difference between satire and actual responses around here sometimes.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

CapitalB wrote:Haha I'm glad, it gets hard to tell the difference between satire and actual responses around here sometimes.

Now you’re saying all responses are satirical.

Sorry.......it has officially worn thin and I will light my straw self on fire now. :130:
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Since it has been used forever especially over hot button topics doubt people will stop using it even if you wish they would.
Shouldn't bother you really as long as you stick to your point (s) and not be sidetracked into calling them out.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second

Return to “Social Concerns”