Flood Review

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Flood Review

Post by the truth »

well, now that these losers have a heads up , no reason for a local flood this year [icon_lol2.gif] open the gates
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

The 3 snow monitoring stations around the valley show the current snow levels are fairly close to where it peaked last year in mid/late April. First graph is from the Graystokes station (Mission creek drainage) east of Kelowna, second is the Brenda mines (Trepanier creek drainage) to the west and the third is Greyback lake (Penticton creek drainage) to the south. The Brenda mines snow levels are still within average range but the Graystokes levels appear highly above average. The Greyback lake station was added in 2015 so there's no average data yet.
Attachments
Mission Creek .png
Brenda mines .png
Greyback .png
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Thank u frisk. I was wondering about snow pack levels. I suspect everything will be fine this year. Sure hope so.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jlabute
Guru

Snow Pack at 123%

Post by Jlabute »

With snow packs higher than last year, are we worried about flooding and are any steps being taken to minimize possible flooding? Just curious if there is a coming problem.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/215800/Snowpack-123-of-normal
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Snow Pack at 123%

Post by GordonH »

123%, well everyone better run for high ground now.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

bring on the hot weather
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Part of the issue last year was the mid and high snow packs all came down at once due to a combination of fast high temps and rain that washed it down.

I'm not too worried.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Jlabute wrote:With snow packs higher than last year, are we worried about flooding and are any steps being taken to minimize possible flooding? Just curious if there is a coming problem.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/215800/Snowpack-123-of-normal

Another "Award Winning" article from Castanet. Hint: it's not January anymore!

P.S.

bc_30_dnp_s_e_180228.gif

bc_wi_dnp_s_e_180228_November.gif
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Snow pack is at 141 percent now.
They are releasing water already..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Snow pack is at 141 percent now.
They are releasing water already..

141% is maybe getting closer to snowpack levels of pre-mid 80s levels. imo since mid 80s snowpack levels have been much lower. This is only my opinion
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Highest at 4000 feet. For example, Aberdeen Lake is at a record shattering 188% of normal with 250mm of SWE (snow water equivalent) this year! That equates to 89cm of snow on the ground.

Other locations at this same elevation in the Okanagan are also very high. The Summerland Reservoir has 311 mm of SWE, 164% of normal. McCulloch is at 238mm of SWE, or 162% of normal.

Up near Kamloops and in the Cariboo, the snowpack in the 4000 ft range is closer to 200% of normal!

Big Creek in the Chilcotin has 94mm of SWE this year, which is 196% of normal.

Highland Valley between Kamloops and Merritt is at 203% of normal with 156 mm of SWE this year.

Also, it's amazing how much more snow the Okanagan normally gets than the Chilcotin and Thompson areas of the province at the same elevations. Big Creek gets 100mm of SWE, and that's 200% of normal. At the Summerland reservoir, that's way under the normal.

The two driest 4000ft spots in BC are Big Creek and Pavilion (located between Lillooet and Cache Creek). Both average 58 mm of SWE.

snowpackmarch1.png
Last edited by Glacier on Mar 8th, 2018, 3:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Interesting fact: Mount Timothy in the Cariboo and Big effin' White in the Okanagan are at the same elevation, but Big White normally has way much snow (411mm of SWE versus 266mm). That's because the winter is the wet season in the Okanagan while the summer is the wet season in the Cariboo (generally speaking).
- Douglas Murray
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

we aren't going to have any lake flooding unless big rains come as well. The lake has been lowered way more than normal.

Mark my words, with at or below average rainfall between now and June the lake will end up being too low.

Streams may flood a bit, that is more a function of how quickly the snow pack melts

but let's all panic
swamp1967

Post by swamp1967 »

Anyone heard what pro-active plans the municipalities, the Province of BC, the Regional District putting are putting in place, besides adjusting the lake level? Ministry of Forests still hasn't followed up on the recommendations to their 2014 report ("LOWER MISSION CREEK HYDRAULIC CAPACITY STUDY KELOWNA, BC, March 2014) to remove gravel and fix critical parts of the Mission Creek dyke. I'm sure other creeks and rivers are being equally ignored.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

March 1st snowpack factz:

• The most above normal ever measured in BC at any station was Elk River on Vancouver Island (elevation 270m) in 1956 when it was 941% of normal. The normal is only 58mm of SWE (snow water equivalent) at this location.
  • By FAR the deepest snow depths ever measured in BC on March 1st were in 1999. The highest of all was ORCHID LAKE north of Vancouver in the Seymour drainage with a snow depth of 750cm and a SWE of 2960mm. That's 202% of the normal.
  • Snow depth is not the entire story because a big snow storm that hasn't settled yet might give you more depth, but less SWE. One place on the south coast had more SWE in 1999, PALISADE LAKE had 3150 mm SWE, which is 285% of normal.
  • The most above normal March 1st snow depth ever recorded in the Okanagan Valley was ISINTOK LAKE (elevation 1651m) in 1972 at 271% of normal (358mm of SWE).
  • The most below normal snowpack ever recorded in the Okanagan was MOUNT KOBAU (elevation 1817m) in 1977 at 24% of normal.
  • The highest snow pack ever recorded in the Okanagan was at SILVER STAR MOUNTAIN (1834m) in 1974 at 912 mm of SWE. The snow was 2.57m deep!
  • After 60 years of records they closed down the Silver Star station last year and replaced it with an automated station in a different location that gives a different result, so you can't compare them.
  • Big White (elevation 1672m) is not in the Okanagan technically, but you might be wondering about its biggest snowpack ever. That was also in 1974 with a total of 676 mm of SWE (168% of normal).
  • You might be wondering if there are any places in BC above 4000feet/1200m elevation that ever have no snow on the ground on March 1st. Yes there is. PAVILION near Lillooet is at 1209m, and only averages 58mm of SWE, and had zero mm on the ground in 1981, 1983, and 1988.
Last edited by Glacier on Mar 9th, 2018, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Flood Watch 2018”