Photo Radar "!101"

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Photo Radar "!101"

Post by Ken7 »

I think it is a great idea to place radar and or camera at location of high incident intersections.

You can't afford having in City accidents like we have continue. We in BC have in my opinion no concern about being caught racing through a amber which turns red before crossing the crosswalk. No wonder out insurance can not keep up with all the high cost of injury claims,

Glad to see it happening, hope Kelowna gets a van full and puts them up ASAP we need it.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Photo Radar "!101"

Post by Catsumi »

I for one would love to see photo radar returned. My little country back lane road is akin to the Indy Speedway. Posted is 50 k but most fly by doing at least 90-100 k.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
sixxonesixx
Fledgling

Post by sixxonesixx »

I'd like to see mandatory license testing for 65 and over. When I get there, I'd like to get checked out regardless of my denial. If not for my own safety, but for public safety. Was almost hit 3 times in a row by the same guy. Had to drive up into the turn lane the last time or he would have pushed my into the intersection.
Could we start with that?
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

All I can say is that photo radar was such an unpopular cash grab when the BC NDP did it before, that the Liberals added dumping it as a campaign plank when they drubbed the BC NDP 77-2.... rinse, recycle, and repeat?
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

The complaints about it being a money grab are absolutely insane. It is not a money grab because you do not get a ticket unless you're speeding, in other words breaking the law. In which case you deserve everything you get and probably a lot more these days. No one has to worry unless they are breaking the law and endangering everyone else around them. Hopefully we get them all over BC. We need a lot more enforcement on our roads today as anyone who drives knows. Also glad to hear they are enforcing distracted driving right now and nailing a bunch of the idiots (or whatever description is acceptable) on their phones.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

https://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2017/can-camerasafety.pdf

"Based on the available data, there is no evidence to suggest that there is a significant correlation between presence of mobile photo radar and traffic collisions."

Worth a read. Big time cash grab!
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Please explain how it can be a cash grab if they are catching people breaking the law.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Smurf wrote:The complaints about it being a money grab are absolutely insane. It is not a money grab because you do not get a ticket unless you're speeding, in other words breaking the law. In which case you deserve everything you get and probably a lot more these days. No one has to worry unless they are breaking the law and endangering everyone else around them. Hopefully we get them all over BC. We need a lot more enforcement on our roads today as anyone who drives knows. Also glad to hear they are enforcing distracted driving right now and nailing a bunch of the idiots (or whatever description is acceptable) on their phones.

Exactly.
Running a red light & according tv news excessive speeders through intersection are the targets, plus cameras will be running more often.
Don't worry each intersection being upgraded will have signage warning drivers. Knowing the small percentage of drivers that actually pay any attention to traffic signs, they should be able to ticketed a large amount idiot drivers.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Smurf wrote:Please explain how it can be a cash grab if they are catching people breaking the law.

IF you read that article, there was no improvement in safety measured, but they grabbed $700,000 per year in fines in Sherwood Park.

I personally am not concerned, because I don't speed. But the data shows that that the only effect in Sherwood Park was to collect $$$.

Just pointing out that while photo radar might seem like a good idea, it appears the only real effectiveness is gather revenue for the government. That's what the data indicates.

Put in the context of the coming and more draconian ticket impacts on ICBC rates/discounts, and the cash grab is pretty obvious.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

They are still breaking the law so it is NOT a tax grab. In the long run even if it does not help the intersections, which I still believe it will, they are breaking the law and deserve any fines they get. If they are stupid enough to want to deliberately break the law and be fined that is their problem not the governments and not a tax grab. They are being a danger and deserve to be punished. You gave absolutely no proof that people being fined for breaking the law is a tax grab. Please try again.

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I don't feel good about saying this but I think there's a place for photo radar. I was opposed to it when we had it before but as I see drivers zipping through red lights and as I see drivers travelling at unsafe speeds I'm more willing to accept something that I'm not fond of. People, some people anyway, need to smarten up and it would seem as if we need to up the enforcement.

Those of us who aren't driving too fast or driving through red lights have nothing to worry about and if the enhanced red light cameras help make our roads a bit safer then that's good for everyone. If it just means more cash in the coffers coming from those who break the law then that's not such a bad thing either.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Smurf wrote:They are still breaking the law so it is NOT a tax grab. In the long run even if it does not help the intersections, which I still believe it will, they are breaking the law and deserve any fines they get. If they are stupid enough to want to deliberately break the law and be fined that is their problem not the governments and not a tax grab. They are being a danger and deserve to be punished. You gave absolutely no proof that people being fined for breaking the law is a tax grab. Please try again.

Yep I agree, they break a traffic law they get a ticket. Hopefully it gets people thinking and driving a little smarter.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

sixxonesixx wrote:I'd like to see mandatory license testing for 65 and over. When I get there, I'd like to get checked out regardless of my denial. If not for my own safety, but for public safety. Was almost hit 3 times in a row by the same guy. Had to drive up into the turn lane the last time or he would have pushed my into the intersection.
Could we start with that?

I have to disagree with you, age is not the factor. We have 30 year olds who should not be driving. Age and sex is no different, when you see people texting and hogging the left lane...they are more of a danger then the 85 year old doing the speed limit on Glenmore.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

hobbyguy wrote:
IF you read that article, there was no improvement in safety measured, but they grabbed $700,000 per year in fines in Sherwood Park.

I personally am not concerned, because I don't speed. But the data shows that that the only effect in Sherwood Park was to collect $$$.

Just pointing out that while photo radar might seem like a good idea, it appears the only real effectiveness is gather revenue for the government. That's what the data indicates.

Put in the context of the coming and more draconian ticket impacts on ICBC rates/discounts, and the cash grab is pretty obvious.

Generating money is good, then you can afford more patrol members. The second thing that must be done is the registered owner must be held accountable. He / She should get points against drivers. Once you hit 10 point, statutory drivers suspension for 90 days. That will catch someones attention.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Photo radar has zero to do with safety and everything to do with revenue.

If the revenue went into something constructive such as road maintenance, lower car insurance, etc. I'd be more open to it - but seeing that most extra revenue doesn't trickle down to us mere citizens - I'm strongly against it :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “B.C.”