Gardening 2018

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Gardening 2018

Post by Queen K »

Every time I've been there has been a "free seed" table. to make it fair, they like it if you drop off excess seeds, so that's what I'm doing next, going to dig through seeds and see what I've got to donate.

I'll have lots of lettuce seeds, so Lady t and anyone else, be sure to bring an envelop or two if you want some.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Still a foot of snow. Got a lawn tractor yesterday. Gonna set it up for tilling and plowing. I have no grass to mow.

Ive got tons of seeds. Not gonna grow much this year. Potatoes . Peas strawberries grapes raspberries jalepenos try some spinach which i never seem to be able to grow here. My old place it grew wonderful.

Wish the sunshine tax would start paying off with some sun
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Queen K wrote:Every time I've been there has been a "free seed" table. to make it fair, they like it if you drop off excess seeds, so that's what I'm doing next, going to dig through seeds and see what I've got to donate.

I'll have lots of lettuce seeds, so Lady t and anyone else, be sure to bring an envelope or two if you want some.

Great reminder - thanks QK!
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Jflem1983 wrote:Still a foot of snow. Got a lawn tractor yesterday. Gonna set it up for tilling and plowing. I have no grass to mow.

Ive got tons of seeds. Not gonna grow much this year. Potatoes . Peas strawberries grapes raspberries jalepenos try some spinach which i never seem to be able to grow here. My old place it grew wonderful.

The thing about the Seedy Saturday is that there are always new varities to find and try out. It matters not what you have, it is what you don't have.

And spinach likes it cool, are you trying it in full sun? :D
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Jflem1983 wrote:Still a foot of snow. Got a lawn tractor yesterday. Gonna set it up for tilling and plowing. I have no grass to mow.

A rule of thumb.....the broader the leaf the less heat and high intensity sunlight is better. For example, don't plant large leaf plants next to a South exposure structure, (like a house or garage). They will do much better in a moist, North facing location. Tomatoes would do well in the South. Root crops prefer open spaces without reflective surfaces....(carrots/potatoes). Peas like East and West facing locations....(not too much heat and semi-shade). Gordes (Cukes, pumkins, squash, like high Nitrogen soil, (lot's of compost) and lots of sunlight.
Think like a plant and plant where you think.
Bring back the LIKE button.
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pbear »

I’ll be there! Anything that will make it feel like the snow really will disappear soon.
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Queen K wrote:You're braver than I am.

I do have all manners of bulbs coming up and 25 Snowdrops have been blooming for a long time now. I lifted leaves out of the gardens and found large earthworms underneath.

This year my goal is early peas. When is too early for peas? I hear they like the cold, well, is it too cold now? :135:

QK, I would put those pea seeds in now as they like the cool and damp. As soon as it gets slightly too hot they take on a bitter taste. If younhave radish and lettuce, spinach, dill, green onions, now is the time. Normally I would have had those seeds in by Feb 20... Always had great success.

Wish I could help you. Lost my rented garden space and am now on the hunt for another. Damn, dammit!
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We're just getting the snow off the raised beds and I'm cleaning them off.

They tend to stay frozen underneath a bit. I am looking forward to seeing what I can snag tomorrow, wish you could be here.

And lost your garden space? :135: Surely there is another somewhere? :135:
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Thanks. Will have to hunt around and put the word out here (vernon, center of the universe)

Yes, i planted into icy ground. Works like a charm and don't need to water for a long time. No need to presoak pea seeds either.

:biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Where I want them, I'm raking off the wet leaves right now. Lots of layers, I've removed the compost bins off the top layer too.

I'm going to be planting soon. Sooner than usual in fact, so excited to be doing this! :130:
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Great, so happy for you. Plant pea seeds one inch deep so that they develop a good root structure early on.

Be sure to photo to show me when they are growing like mad.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You're coming over here for tea and crumpets with Saskatoon berry jam. :biggrin:

So, photos? LOL.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Yes, Saskatoon jam you made was to die for. Only have had time to make a batch of hottish (not too much so) chilli sauce that you and Mr QK liked. Also a jar for our blonde Man.

Walk today, so nice out.

:biggrin:

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Seedy Saturday on Sunday is incredible this year!

So much, so many different choices, a guy selling all kinds of books, blue berry bushes outside.

I scored an Arion berry bush.

Seeds to die for! So many new varities. We went around the tables twice. There is a table of free seeds, I donated lots too.

Two draws for composters.

Go it's only 1 pm, it shuts down at 3 pm. :130:
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Queen K wrote:Seedy Saturday on Sunday is incredible this year!

So much, so many different choices, a guy selling all kinds of books, blueberry bushes outside.

I scored an Arion berry bush.

Seeds to die for! So many new varieties. We went around the tables twice. There is a table of free seeds, I donated lots too.

Two draws for composters.

Go it's only 1 pm, it shuts down at 3 pm. :130:

It really was! Two draws, I only saw the one! :200:

I took the number for the blueberry bush people, as I don't know what survived through the winter.

You'll have to tell me what the Arion Berry is like - I saw it but was hesitant to buy.

I did get my hoop house set up though - yays!

Mar 11 2018 012.JPG
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”