BC Hybrid Drivers License and privacy

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

BC Hybrid Drivers License and privacy

Post by wanderer »

Hi I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions on BC's Hybrid Drivers License that will start to be tested soon?
http://ca.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idCAN2142990420080121?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0&sp=true

I'm wondering what access this will give the Americans to even more of Canadian citizen's private information. Will the BC government hire another American company to handle the database the way they did with MSP?

There is a concern in USA that the "Real ID' as they call it down there will threaten American privacy and civil liberties on a national scale. (http://www.news.com/2010-1028_3-6228491.html?tag=cnetfd.mt) Why is BC being so quick to jump on the bandwagon and make our driver's licenses "enhanced" when some US States won't even agree to it?

Will there be an opt out dirivers licence if we don't want the "enhanced" version? I heard they were embedded with a chip so the holder could always be located. :200:

Not that I'm ever going to do anything bad but jeez ... I don't exactly trust Big Brother USA !!

What's your opinion?
Last edited by wanderer on Feb 2nd, 2008, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Re: BC Hybrid Drivers License and privacy

Post by eyepop »

wonderer wrote:..what access this will give the Americans to even more of Canadian citizen's private information? Will the BC government hire another American company to handle the database the way they did with MSP? .. Why is BC being so quick to jump on the bandwagon?

answer
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

I'm just a Wondering Wanderer

Not the excentric, cranky, cat lady, biddy I said I was last time I posted ! :147:

Yes I think the BC Government is going in the same direction as with MSP but was wondering how many other people are even aware this is part of the "enhanced" drivers lisence. I should have made a Poll :(
___

Post by ___ »

I am already working on a shield for my wallet to block the signals from Gordon Campbell's tracking devices on every corner....gonna need a lot of tin foil!!!!

:142:
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

I guess a microwave oven will not work. Ok the low tech way then. "The best approach? Hammer time. Hitting the chip with a blunt, hard object should disable it. A nonworking RFID doesn’t invalidate the passport, so you can still use it."

Or if that is to low tech build a RFID Zapper:

http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/glo ... e_rfi.html
___

Post by ___ »

:smt038 cool, I saved that link....but tin foil will also keep the aliens from reading my thoughts, and is a stunning accessory...

...but, seriously this will be a hackers dream...another avenue for identity theft, and another for Big Brother to track you from cradle to grave....
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

Nice thing is you can get camera flashes for dirt cheap used. As long at it works it will do. It's 40K volts though so care is needed.
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

Ok ... I can use a hammer ... so much for the RFID which really hasn't proven to work well in their testing of it anyway. :2545:

It's more what private information will get coughed up that concerns me. Does anyone in the public know what data will be accessed with these stupid hybrid licenses? It's got to be more than just your drivers record if they hope it will take the place of a passport.

It's seems a forgone conclusion that the people currently in power in the BC government don't give us any more information than what they think our itty bitty minds can take. Have you ever noticed when they answer questions they usually "talk down" as if they are speaking to someone with less capacity to think ... maybe if they talk slow enough, with enough platitudes, they hope we'll get bored and stop listening.
:139:

<LOL> I like the link to the Global Guerrillas ... kewl
Scynite
Board Meister

Post by Scynite »

wanderer wrote:Hi I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions on BC's Hybrid Drivers License that will start to be tested soon?
http://ca.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idCAN2142990420080121?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0&sp=true

I'm wondering what access this will give the Americans to even more of Canadian citizen's private information. Will the BC government hire another American company to handle the database the way they did with MSP?

There is a concern in USA that the "Real ID' as they call it down there will threaten American privacy and civil liberties on a national scale. (http://www.news.com/2010-1028_3-6228491.html?tag=cnetfd.mt) Why is BC being so quick to jump on the bandwagon and make our driver's licenses "enhanced" when some US States won't even agree to it?

Will there be an opt out dirivers licence if we don't want the "enhanced" version? I heard they were embedded with a chip so the holder could always be located. :200:

Not that I'm ever going to do anything bad but jeez ... I don't exactly trust Big Brother USA !!

What's your opinion?

You know my opinion, it's a step towards a cashless, debit-card ID system, so that we can all be tracked, located, and taxed easier on every transaction we make. All the membership cards to Costco, Sam's Club, Save-On, Safeway, Banks, Credit Cards, have all been the tools to groom every one to accepting this new form of doing business.

This card is a mid-step, probably designed to be more palatable for most Canadians, and isnt' a drastic step compared to the Real ID act, which is passed and is LAW, target date of DEC 2009, for this to start down there, full implementation by 2014.

The Real ID aims to unify all forms of ID, medical records, government building access, travel by public transit, and bank dealings.

The endgame of all of us would for us all to install chips, much like several families in the States have already volunteered to take part in.

SpaceAddict wrote:I guess a microwave oven will not work. Ok the low tech way then. "The best approach? Hammer time. Hitting the chip with a blunt, hard object should disable it. A nonworking RFID doesn’t invalidate the passport, so you can still use it."

Or if that is to low tech build a RFID Zapper:

http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/glo ... e_rfi.html

That won't help you. The first time you fail a scan using it, they will require you to replace it, by law, probably along with a hefty fee to deter further 'incidental' damage in the future.

wanderer wrote:Have you ever noticed when they answer questions they usually "talk down" as if they are speaking to someone with less capacity to think ... maybe if they talk slow enough, with enough platitudes, they hope we'll get bored and stop listening.l

Because in most cases of the general populace it is true.
Don't get so mad, it's just my opinion.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

It is ridiculous to believe Safeway and Costco cards are part of some mind control system to get people used to carrying cards so they will be more accepting of government initiatives in the future. Just nuts.

RFID is wonderful technology but it really depends on what it is used for. It would be very interesting to know what the BC government intends to encode on these new drivers' licenses.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

Well it would be everything you would need to have to get into a different country. Like your criminal record. Birthplace, nationality. what protest groups you belong too, religion. Your security threat calculation based on your Safeway, Costco purchases.
Last edited by SpaceAddict on Feb 2nd, 2008, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

SpaceAddict wrote:Well it would be everything you would need to have to get into a different country. Like your criminal record. Birthplace, nationality. what protest groups you belong too, religion.

Not too sure about that. My passport says nothing about my criminal record or religious affiliation.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

Oh it's there. It has a number that opens up that numbers file.
___

Post by ___ »

SpaceAddict wrote:Oh it's there. It has a number that opens up that numbers file.

hmmmm...I actually believe that...along with my passport I have a FAST card being checked out and fingerprinted by both US and CDA border services....it would not be a stretch for the passport to access personal files...we are going to have to build our own rfid readers for the drivers licenses 'cause Gordie will never tell us everything he puts on them....

:124:
Scynite
Board Meister

Post by Scynite »

writerdave wrote:It is ridiculous to believe Safeway and Costco cards are part of some mind control system to get people used to carrying cards so they will be more accepting of government initiatives in the future. Just nuts.

RFID is wonderful technology but it really depends on what it is used for. It would be very interesting to know what the BC government intends to encode on these new drivers' licenses.

I didnt' say it was mind-control, but social engineering yes. None of these membership cards even need to exist, they serve no purpose whatsoever other than training you to produce them when you either enter a premises (Costco), or when you want some fake savings on your brown rice.

IE. Extra Foods (no card) Brown Rice Bulk $0.18/ 100g.
Save-On Foods (card required) Brown Rice Bulk $0.25 / 100g.
SOM Savings $0.18 /100g Congrats! You save $0.07 / 100g !

Also, ask yourself. What is so important about a Costco card that you need to provide your driver's license, an annual picture, your business license (in some cases) to save 10% on your chicken breasts? Is it really necessary to have to provide this info? Why not just open it up to the general public? No. Costco was formulated to make people feel they're part of a special club, with 'secret' savings outsiders couldnt benefit from.
Well, don't worry. If you don't buy into these special ID cards coming soon, you'll be left out in the cold too.

Again, you don't have to agree with my 'theories', as long as you realize that the end result is the same.

You will need a card for pretty much everything. So why not just make it easier for you, Dave, and put it all on one card?
Don't get so mad, it's just my opinion.

Return to “Social Concerns”