Shaw --Telus email port 25 error

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Shaw --Telus email port 25 error

Post by DANSPEED »

Help please! :skyisfalling:

I'm trying to access my Telus email account remotely
using Outlook Express through Shaw and I keep
getting this error;

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'telus.net', Server:
'smtp.telus.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error:
10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Reading online it seems Shaw blocks port 25. Something
about viruses and spam. The net suggested other ports but
none worked.

Another suggestion was to change smtp.telus.net to mail.telus.net,
this didn't work either.

This error doesn't happen when I'm connected to Telus.

I can access the account remotely using Telus webmail but I'd rather use
Outlook Express and sync the account.

Any suggestions? I'm not a network or protocol whiz -- most of this port
stuff is greek to me!

Thanks.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Shaw --Telus email port 25 error

Post by ferri »

this may sound crazy, but have you tried SMTP 465 and POP3 995? that's what has to be used for GMail. you never know. it might accidently work. if it doesn't, i don't have any other suggestions. lol
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
dogbreath
Board Meister

Post by dogbreath »

You cant access mail from mail clients outside the Telus Network. They do this on purpose to prevent all sorts off bad things.

You can use webmail.telus.net/ or webmail.shaw.ca to access your mail while outside of the networks.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

dogbreath wrote:You cant access mail from mail clients outside the Telus Network. They do this on purpose to prevent all sorts off bad things.

You can use webmail.telus.net/ or webmail.shaw.ca to access your mail while outside of the networks.

Actually you are incorrect as I know it is in fact done but I believe it requires the cooperation of the ISP.

I have a friend who has a Telus email account from when he resided in the lower mainland area and now that all he could get in his location was Shaw it is set up so his mail still gets through.

He had the tech set it up though so I don't know how they accomplished it.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
dogbreath
Board Meister

Post by dogbreath »

LoneWolf wrote:
dogbreath wrote:You cant access mail from mail clients outside the Telus Network. They do this on purpose to prevent all sorts off bad things.

Actually you are incorrect as I know it is in fact done but I believe it requires the cooperation of the ISP.

I have a friend who has a Telus email account from when he resided in the lower mainland area and now that all he could get in his location was Shaw it is set up so his mail still gets through.

He had the tech set it up though so I don't know how they accomplished it.

You are correct!! :-) By default you cannot do it. Like you point out though if the ISP enables Secure Password Authentication (SPA) for a specific user it can be accomplished. Often they will use different POP and SMTP ports when doing this.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

Thanks I'll try the port suggestions but it sounds like it's not possible without
tech support. But I guess two Telus customers can sync one Telus webmail
account using Outlook Express right?

What I'd like to do is be able to send a Telus email to a Shaw account and know
that it was received, read and deleted. I thought that if I created a Telus webmail
account in Outlook Express and remotely with Shaw they would sync -- so both
ends see the same account.

Ok accessing the account on both ends by logging into Telus webmail works too. :124:
mrj222
Übergod

Post by mrj222 »

Enable SSL/TLS in your outlook options and you will be able to connect without issue (uses port 445). Port 25 is blocked so that viruses etc cant connect out to remote mail servers and spam.

If you need more help figuring out how to enable it let me know and I'll find you a howto.. going to bed now though.

Cheers.
We can't stop here, this is bat country!
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

Thanks, tried all suggestions and I still get the same error. :purefury:
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

The solution. Go open a gmail account. In the pop part tell it to go retrieve your mail Fill the form in. Whether you leave it on the server or not is up to you. Now you can get your mail any where at any time on the planet provided you can get online. It's the painless way to synchronize several accounts. Limited ISP accounts are on the way out. There is no reason to have all that stuff cluttering up your computer. Free spam filter. Probably the best one too. Basically it's unlimited size to. Right now they say it's 6.79 gigs in size per account. But I don't think anything will happen if you exceed that number. You can also have several accounts to to keep everything organized.

A buddy of mine had Telus Shaw and a few others spread all over the place. Logging into such accounts remotely is dangerous. It's not a smart thing to do like say at a library or at work. I got him to sign up for gmail then i set it up so all his mail ended up in that one account.

Changing settings not on your own computer to go read your mail is not to smart. Computers never forget.

I'm not saying that is what you are doing but it's just so much more useful then limited ISP offerings. I probably have several ISP e-mail accounts. I never use them, I've have never checked them, there a complete waste of time. If you change your ISP you loose all your contacts. It's the way they try to lock you in.

We're talking local mail verses global mail.. Yes you can always log into your local isp to check your mail that is true. But do that while visiting Turkey or South Africa... See the problem ? You can always get to gmail. When you log in it says remember me on this computer? If it's not your computer uncheck that part and make sure you LOG OUT before you close the browser.

Or fight with your ISP's offerings. It's pick your own pain.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

I have a gmail account but I never looked in settings .. cool! Thanks SpaceAddict. I'm
getting sync problems anyways with Outlook and Telus, messages missing, folder errors,
reset list .... Grrr! My IP is dynamic so Outlook works for me. If I can sync gmail IMAP
with Outlook and not have to manually login to gmail each time, that's great! :spinball:
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

Ok I tried gmail IMAP with Outlook and I'm back to square one ... port error! I can receive
gmail emails in Outlook but the port error occurs when I send an email. A few net suggestions
were to use port 993 for incoming and port 465 for outgoing and enable SSL for both -- same
error! :144:
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i just looked at my GMail settings. both SSL boxes are checked, also My server requires authentication. in Settings, Use same settings as incoming mail server.
doubt if that will help, but i tried.
― Albert Einstein
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

ferri wrote:i just looked at my GMail settings. both SSL boxes are checked, also My server requires authentication. in Settings, Use same settings as incoming mail server.
doubt if that will help, but i tried.

Hey I think that worked ferri! Enabled "My server requires authentication" and no more port
error -- sent and received with no problem! :discodance:

Are you using IMAP, port 465 for outgoing (smtp.gmail.com) and port 993 for incoming (imap.gmail.com)?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i have 465 outgoing and 995 incoming.
― Albert Einstein
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

995 or 993, what's the difference? It's all greek to me!

Any idea what the gmail [Gmail] folder is for? Everything works but I'm getting this error;

Header download for the '[Gmail]' folder did not complete. Could not select '[Gmail]' on the IMAP server. You might try refreshing your folder list to synchronize with the IMAP server.
'imap.gmail.com', Protocol: IMAP, Server Response: 'Unknown Mailbox: [Gmail] (Failure)', Port: 993, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCCD2

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”