Another shooting rocks the world

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Another shooting rocks the world

Post by Glacier »

What is up with all the people going on shooting rampages around the world the last couple of years?

The one in Germany today was particularly sad.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... TopStories
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Another Shoooting Rocks the world

Post by Captain Awesome »

I wonder what they blame for these in Germany.
Here it's usually heavy metal music, video games or Internet.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
NoOne
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Another Shoooting Rocks the world

Post by NoOne »

SAMSON, Ala. - A gunman who killed 10 people and himself in the worst mass shooting in Alabama history had trained as a police officer, recently quit his job at a sausage plant and kept a list of employers "who done him wrong," authorities said Wednesday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29623587

wanted to make a statement.

bumped from the headlines by someone in germany.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Another shoooting rocks the world

Post by Glacier »

Did these kinds of shootings occur 50 years ago or is this something new? My mom (who grew up in the 50s) claims they didn't have these kinds of shootings back then nearly as frequently as now.

It looks to me that the number of school shootings have been going down since 1996. The yellow line is the trend line.

schoolshooting.PNG

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777958.html
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Perhaps the yellow trend line is declining because some schools have increased security measures.

As it is, wholesale death due to gun men should make us all run out and re-rent Bowling for Columbine, regardless of what people think of Micheal Moore. I think he is brilliant.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

keesa wrote:Perhaps the yellow trend line is declining because some schools have increased security measures.

As it is, wholesale death due to gun men should make us all run out and re-rent Bowling for Columbine, regardless of what people think of Micheal Moore. I think he is brilliant.

Indeed. My favourite folk singer captured the tragedy of Columbine thus:

"To the Teeth" ~ Ani Difranco

and school kids keep trying to teach us
what guns are all about
confuse liberty with weaponry
and watch your kids act it out
and every year now like christmas
some boy gets the milk fed suburban blues
reaches for the available arsenal
and saunters off to make the news

and if i hear one more time
about a fool's right to his tools of rage
i'm gonna take all my friends
and i'm going to move to canada
and we're going to die of old age
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Glacier wrote:Did these kinds of shootings occur 50 years ago or is this something new? My mom (who grew up in the 50s) claims they didn't have these kinds of shootings back then nearly as frequently as now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Looking at the numbers, one can conclude that US students are usually better prepared. Or just better shots.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

writerdave wrote:
Glacier wrote:Did these kinds of shootings occur 50 years ago or is this something new? My mom (who grew up in the 50s) claims they didn't have these kinds of shootings back then nearly as frequently as now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting

Is this better for you?...
schoolshooting_us.PNG
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It looks like my mom was right after all (a real shocker). Lol. She grew up in the 40s and 50s and has always maintained that they never had school shootings when she was a kid. I would give her the "ya, right!" But now it looks like she was right.

Shhh. Please don't tell her that.
- Douglas Murray
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Well as another mum who grew up in a time when this kind of stuff was unheard of, I'm happy to hear a son admit his mother is right!!!!! :nyah:
Seriously though, even though we had our fair share of bullies and students who suffered from depression, it would never have occured to any of us to go and shoot up the school as a way of getting revenge. I think part of the blame for today's reactions has to lie with the realistic video games that many of these loners sit and play for hours and hours. I know many don't want to hear that (my husband and son included) but I am absolutely convinced they play a role. Maybe for the more sensible user, who doesn't already have mental health issues, they really are harmless, but for the troubled student who is a loner who often sits and plays such games for hours on end, I believe these games really do have an influence.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

keesa wrote:Perhaps the yellow trend line is declining because some schools have increased security measures.

I can't stand Michael Moore. All of his documentaries exist to argue a topic (so the opposing viewpoints are neglected), and Moore does so very subjectively by editing interviews and news items to support his argument.

If you take a slightly deeper look into his documentaries than he shows you, it would surprise you just how little legitimate substance actually exists. It's just the modern version of those old Soviet Union propaganda films.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Wait a minute... you mean I can't get a free gun for opening up a chequing account in the States?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

writerdave wrote:Wait a minute... you mean I can't get a free gun for opening up a chequing account in the States?

Perhaps the offer's deadline expired?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Another shooting rocks the world

Post by Glacier »

It is interesting that there are actually more school shootings per capita in Canada compared to the USA.

Decade Canadian Shootings American Shootings
1970s ............ .2 ............................ 5
1980s............. 1 ........................... 2
1990s............ 1 ........................... 13
2000s.............. 3 .......................... 25
- Douglas Murray

Return to “World”