Difficulty meeting friends in Kelowna?

A potpourri of off-topics.
roseridge
Board Meister

Difficulty meeting friends in Kelowna?

Post by roseridge »

Kelowna is very much an each to his own type of place. I've been here 12 years, and it's still very hard to meet anybody.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Difficulty meeting friends in Kelowna??

Post by Queen K »

roseridge wrote:Kelowna is very much an each to his own type of place. I've been here 12 years, and it's still very hard to meet anybody.

The Castanet Get Together G2G in text engrish was just last night and heavily advertised in a thread titled 'Castanet G2G March 26 @ Whiski Jacks. Well, similar to that. I don't know how to put this, but of a few hundred faithful posters and several who just add a bit here and there, about 8 showed up who actually post faithfully and two friends and one was Mrs. Mott Hoople. IN FACT there was nothing stopping a lot more people from showing up. Like one person was joking, this in not an exclusionary cliche at the table, this was just those who wanted faces behind the handles.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

There was absolutely nothing awkward or uncomfortable in telling Bob67 to remember his g string, asking Writer Dave where his tinfoil hat was, or hearing how M_V was planning to raise worms, or if you were Mott Hoople, "race worms." Ferri behaved and Urbane left early and Fluffy showed up just before I had to leave.

Just come to the next g2g and see what the heck really happens.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
mott.hoople
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mott.hoople »

Try the BMW dealer. Free coffee in the service area. :coffeecanuck:
These high thread count sheets feel amazing on my naked skin. Oh Oh... Here comes the Zellers manager. I wonder what she wants?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

makefriends wrote:I should've added that I was thinking more along the lines of 30-something professionals, that have their stuff together but are just looking to meet some new folks to hang out with.

FYI, some of us are professionals in our off-line lives. Some are 30 something on Castanet.
And dare I add, some Castanet 30 something professionals have their "stuff" together.
I know exactly what you are talking about though. But if you aren't willing to network and possibly take as much rejection as you are willing to give, then how do you meet 30 something pros? It's like dating right, Mom always said, "the right man isn't going to show up at your door." Gotta go out.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

makefriends wrote:I should've added that I was thinking more along the lines of 30-something professionals, that have their stuff together but are just looking to meet some new folks to hang out with.

Kelowna is tough. It pretty much breaks down to this:
Play a sport.
Join a gym.
Go to church.

If none of those appeal to you, yup, it will be tough.
The Downtown Kelowna Association has business after hours events, I think, once a month.
That is a good opportunity to network.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
JimC
Board Meister

Post by JimC »

Just a thought and of course (my opinion) that comment and train of thought narrows down your chances. I have been to the G&G with people from here and many a bright mind and interesting people. They are all different ages and walks of life and good people...

if all you look for is the 30 something crowd... professionals... hang out at the meat markets the trendy bars..made for the so called professionals ..I will wave back from my network of all people that I have met... from ages 20 something to 60 something all good people but not sure how professional.

anyhow got off the course...became a little cynical... because of... my opinion being different than yours..
oh yea... I am a 50's something hard working ..non-professional.. but i know many who are

jim :sunshine:
back to lurking mode
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Welcome back Jim C
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
JimC
Board Meister

Post by JimC »

Then may I suggest meeting these folks here thru a meet and greet...

now in all honesty... they are all great people... just some are more professional than others...
when it comes to being direct with someone :127: and then others have themselves only to blame because of :coffeecanuck: or maybe :sillygrin:

naw.... they are all good... just whacked out... may be a reason why I like them.. wait..
I remember.... I was brain washed... :ohmygod: nope...that was not it... I was :dyinglaughing:
:ohmygod: abucted by them and then did wierd experiments.... on me
answers to the con-trails...and yes...they are aliens who live among us
now I get it :runforlife:
:eyeballspin:
back to lurking mode
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

There have been a few people who have started threads similar to this. I've lived here my entire life and I've noticed that, more often than not, people who are new to this town have the same trouble meeting people as you describe. Many of us acknowledge that Kelowna is a tricky place to develop an interesting social life (in other words, if bars are not your thing)

I would echo gardengirl's advice. Pursue your interests and the things you enjoy using resources like the Rec. Center, Arts Center, etc. and you will eventually meet like minded people. For example, a friend who had moved back here after being away 15 years or so wasn't meeting anyone until he joined the Running Room and now has a pretty busy social life which grew entirely from people he met there.

That being said, as a life long resident I have to admit that there is likely a good reason that this town has the reputation it has and that there must be some truth to it. I'm afraid it may come down to, as you say, "paying a membership to make friends."
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

...and don't be afraid to show up at a get together sometime. :)
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Difficulty meeting friends in Kelowna?

Post by Captain Awesome »

I was told G2G was on March 27. And when I showed up nobody was there.

And it's like third time it happens.

I wonder why.

:dyinglaughing:
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:lol: you silly. okay. next time we tell you the real date. probably.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

You just have to be open to the opportunities as they arise. I met ferri at Save-On foods. I distracted the security guard while she deeked out the "in" door with an armload of carrots and lettuce. I thought she was just another granola chompin' vegetablarian but as it turns out she was doing her bit to ease the Springfield bunny population by luring them all to her place.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

I make it a rule to ignore Albertans when they move here. People from the coast will get the time of day from me but that's where it ends.

I used to have a bumper sticker that said "welcome to Kelowna. Now F' off.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!

Return to “Grab Bag”