Cashless society... you in?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Cashless society... you in?

Post by Queen K »

I've pondered this for quite awhile.

Would a society be better off with or without cash? what if every yard sale had a card reader? What if Chuch Sales had card readers? What if I couldn't buy my neighbour's peaches without the Govt Cash Agency or whatever it is called in the future, knowing about the purchase?

Cash: use it or lose it?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Re: Cashless society....you in?

Post by FunkyBunch »

I almost never use/carry cash. And when I do have it, I'm always afraid of losing it. It's far more of hassle than it's worth.
I'd support a cashless society, might make illegal activity harder to do also. Could be a double bonus.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

I'm in!

So everyone, please mail me all of your unwanted cash so I can dispose of it properly. Not like those greedy bankers that wouldn't know the 1st thing about how to make your money disappear, leave it to a professional.... me!
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

I remember the days before debit cards. Then there was the push for everyone to have a debit card because it was safer then carrying cash. Hmmm well those who would steal your cash now have their own card readers go figure.
Now heres were the evangelicals with their idea of next step will be: :dyinglaughing:

Step 1) Cash

Step 2) Debit Card

Step 3) Next step (imbedded clip under your skin). :dyinglaughing:

I use both cash/debit. Now this may/may not have been off topic.
Last edited by wthwyt on Sep 25th, 2009, 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

FunkyBunch wrote:I almost never use/carry cash. And when I do have it, I'm always afraid of losing it. It's far more of hassle than it's worth.

I almost never have cash on me. The only real drawback is when the Girl Guides come by our door with their cookies, or some puppy faced kid asking for money so he can go to sports camp (or some other such thing). Then I feel like a real schmuck (don’t even use cheques).

FunkyBunch wrote: I'd support a cashless society, might make illegal activity harder to do also.

I remember watching a science show where they were showing off the use of electronic “wallets”. They were flat and just big enough to accept a bank card and had a key pad on them. If you were carrying one and I owed you twenty bucks I could just put my bank card in your wallet and transfer the funds. I guess even hookers and drug dealers could use them (although there would be an electronic record).
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

The electronic record would be the kicker for that activity I think.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Cashless society... it is coming sooner rather than later. Visa predicts 2012 (is that what the Mayans were talking about? - lol). But then again, everyone else has been predicting it for years, so why not the Mayans too?
-the bible predicted it.
-the NWO conspiracy theorists predicted it.
-the bankers predicted it.
-the biotech and nanotech companies predicted it.
-the globalists predicted it.
-the sign guy predicted it.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

Glacier wrote:2012 (is that what the Mayans were talking about? - lol).

Little off topic, but that statement has always bothered me by people who take it at face value (not implying you, you just reminded me). How many years ago were the Mayans wiped out? You don't think one of them just said:
"Geez, we've got a calendar made for the next 1000 years, do think we could take a break?"
or even:
"Dammit, we're getting killed and all I want to do is finish my *bleep* 10,000 year calendar!"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I remember an article talking about how the Mexican Government is offering incentives for Mom and Pop stores to sign up for Debit machines. I thought, "yes, the final frontier, Mexican small family businesses all signed up for Debit machines and then the cashless society in all of North America can begin."

I would like to see cash last. There is something tangible about holding what you earn. Possibly more valuable for children. The connection between what you earn and spend is in your hand.

Tomorrow I'm going to a big Church bazaar and I love handing over dollars for treasures found. Is that all to be lost in the future? Can't buy a pie at a church sale without the government knowing? You can be auditted at any moment? Someone could do so without your knowledge?

I believe the underground economy is what allows us to breathe. It offers hope somehow.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Would the barter system revive more if a cashless society takes place?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
ImRight
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by ImRight »

Cash is King!

I remember when my high school socail studies teacher told me that this was going to happen. I scoffed and laughed. Well guess what, I'm one of those people that don't carry cash (ok i do when I have it). Who would ave thunk it? I was also one that got the call from the bank that my card was "compromissed". Just like CA (captian awesome) my account was empty. LOL
If life gives you lemons - Make lemonade.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

It will be the new cash,
and it they don't like what you say think or do, they just turn it off.
Attachments
3_21_225_v_chip.jpg
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

A conspiracy in every corner. Who knows, steelrules, maybe they won't give you one to begin with.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

How would I make my thick cash sweater to keep me warm this winter without cash?
What would I roll in when I'm bored? Lol
Keep the cash.
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Seriously, what if feel the urge to dump all your money on the bed and roll around?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “Social Concerns”