CLASS 1 Driver Training Schools

Business and professional recommendations.
OvalTrackRacing

CLASS 1 Driver Training Schools

Post by OvalTrackRacing »

Can anyone recomend a Class 1 Driver Training School in Kelowna from an actual personal experince with them.

Class 1 Expenses/ Base courses that will set you up with a tractor/trailer to pass the ICBC Class 1 test's.

White-Line - $2000 20 Hours
Taylor Pro - $3000 30 Hours
Extreme Pro - $3000 30 Hours
CoreyG

Re: CLASS 1 Driver Training Schools

Post by CoreyG »

Not exactly personal expirence...but one of my best friends went through Taylor last spring and said it was really good. Hes no bullshiter!

I also used to work at a wood shop that w as right behind Extreme...and it seemed like there was a lot of guys failing?? whos knows why tho?
Garrison

Post by Garrison »

First thing I can say is, 30 hours is not enough time to learn to drive a semi truck. You might be able to pass a driving test around the level Kelowna roads, but go into the mountain hills and it's a whole different story. Then of course there is backing into tight spots with different size trailers, tractors.
And the 20 hours White line offers is just to get you in, you will have to pay for alot more hours.I did my airbrakes there and decided to go to the Okanagan College to finish the training for various reasons.
I took it years ago with OUC, not sure if they are still offering it. The trainer was patient, which is necessary.
Just make sure you have a chat with your trainer first before you commit, answer all your written down questions, and bank on spending more than the numbers you quoted.
the_zipper
Board Meister

Post by the_zipper »

White Line
mott.hoople
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mott.hoople »

Go down to the Coast if you want a Pro course. If EI is funding this - fly out to Ontario and take the program from an accredited school that follows the www.ptdi.org program. There is nothing better.
These high thread count sheets feel amazing on my naked skin. Oh Oh... Here comes the Zellers manager. I wonder what she wants?
big-d2C
Fledgling

Post by big-d2C »

i went through extreme and they were very good and friendly to deal with i went through their course about 2 years ago
Jalf

Post by Jalf »

I can't say much for the schools out here as I took my course in Vancouver, though the police should be more aware of the laws for these trucks as well.
My biggest greivence is with the speed these guys are going and using the left lane like they have every right too, all commercial vehicles are required to keep right on a two lane rd or highway, it is taught too you at the schooling level and why is it not being enforced by our police! if you drive the kelowna and or lake country rd's you know what I am talking about
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

This is, by far, the best place that you could get your training. not just a licence, but actual, real world training. so that you come out with the knowledge needed to start along this career path.

http://www.drivemti.com/

It is not cheap, or short (3 months I think) located out of Castlegar. They have some of the most challenging road networks at their disposal in this region, plus a job placement program, for graduates.

I recommend them because IMO the local programs are only licencing mills not true training schools.

Good Luck.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
slapnutz

Post by slapnutz »

dirtybiker wrote:This is, by far, the best place that you could get your training. not just a licence, but actual, real world training. so that you come out with the knowledge needed to start along this career path.

http://www.drivemti.com/

It is not cheap, or short (3 months I think) located out of Castlegar. They have some of the most challenging road networks at their disposal in this region, plus a job placement program, for graduates.

I recommend them because IMO the local programs are only licencing mills not true training schools.

Good Luck.

Not cheap is an understatement... the 3 month course is $14,000 + all the ICBC fees + accomodation. There is a 4-week (unpaid) supervised work experience component, but many of the trucking companies aren't participating based on the current economy. As of Dec 2009 Trimac, Bison, & Challenger, to name just a few, weren't participating in the SWE component.

Service Canada isn't providing anymore funding for the schools - this is based solely on the fact theres so many unemployed experienced truckers. They now require letter guaranteeing employment before they would even consider providing funding - and then it would be capped at a maximum of $4,000.

Good luck on entering the profession during these troubled economic times.
I dunno
Fledgling

Post by I dunno »

I thought there was a company in town called MJ Bloomfield Trucking who were partners with OUC. Are they still around?
mott.hoople
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mott.hoople »

slapnutz wrote:Not cheap is an understatement... the 3 month course is $14,000 + all the ICBC fees + accomodation. There is a 4-week (unpaid) supervised work experience component, but many of the trucking companies aren't participating based on the current economy. As of Dec 2009 Trimac, Bison, & Challenger, to name just a few, weren't participating in the SWE component.

Service Canada isn't providing anymore funding for the schools - this is based solely on the fact theres so many unemployed experienced truckers. They now require letter guaranteeing employment before they would even consider providing funding - and then it would be capped at a maximum of $4,000.

Good luck on entering the profession during these troubled economic times.

Unemployment is high right now in this industry - and MTI does run a good program - cost prohibitive these days. It is a tough industry - but has its rewrds.

I still stand byt the PTDI program.....
These high thread count sheets feel amazing on my naked skin. Oh Oh... Here comes the Zellers manager. I wonder what she wants?
selling123

Post by selling123 »

I just went with White Line Driving School, due to the fact it was less expensive then the larger companies. I did a 20 hr course ( 5 days at 4 hrs a day including the icbc test) passed with flying colours!!!!!! Training was great and they covered everything that I needed to know. Older equipment but it very well maintained.

Cost was $2200 and is around a $1000 less then the larger companies!!!
Highly recommend Sara, Terry and Whiteline if you want to get class 1 training.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

selling123 wrote:I just went with White Line Driving School, due to the fact it was less expensive then the larger companies. I did a 20 hr course ( 5 days at 4 hrs a day including the icbc test) passed with flying colours!!!!!! Training was great and they covered everything that I needed to know. Older equipment but it very well maintained.

Cost was $2200 and is around a $1000 less then the larger companies!!!
Highly recommend Sara, Terry and Whiteline if you want to get class 1 training.

Are you one of the owners/employees giving a great review as free advertising.
Eires

Post by Eires »

And how many times did you practice chaining up in that exhaustive and intensive 20 hour program? After 60 hours of actual wheel time in Kamloops I passed with 0 demerits, but still felt is wasn't sufficient.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Eires wrote:And how many times did you practice chaining up in that exhaustive and intensive 20 hour program? After 60 hours of actual wheel time in Kamloops I passed with 0 demerits, but still felt is wasn't sufficient.

The number of horrific wrecks involving big rigs would appear to support your feeling.

Considering nary a day goes by that I don't find myself behind some driver training big rig, I can't help but feel this has become nothing more than another cash grab since I doubt there's that much demand for drivers.

Personally I'd rather see fewer and those that do drive be of the talented variety, viewing what they do as a profession. A profession that requires a bit more know how than driving around the valley bottom on dry roads successfully.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"

Return to “Referrals”