Frustrated with store meat

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Organic Meat

Frustrated with store meat

Post by Organic Meat »

I am new here and would like to say that I am very wary of the meat products in our grocery stores and large chain supermarkets. Having a few friends who have worked at meat processing plants around Langley, I am very saddened to here about the cramped conditions, clubbing of runt poultry and killing methodologies used to obtain our pork and beef. I have a healthier alternative that has been cheaper and hormone free. I go bear hunting in May and deer hunting in September. I am always able to fill my freezer with several hundred pounds of quality free range meat each year. Getting my family's meat in this manner does not require the imprisonment of an animal for long periods of time in cramped quarters or the introducition of questionable chemicals. Responsible black bear or deer hunting results in an ethical harvesting action that takes less than 1 minute. An added benefit is the respect that the animal is shown by preserving the hide and/or skull. I have donated a bear skull to a high school for help with their biology program. I keep the antlers of my deer as well. I don't believe in wasting. I am very happy to share this way of carrying on our Canadian tradition of healthy self sustainability in BC. Be sure to get all your papers first and become familiar with what you are doing before you venture out into the back country.
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Re: Frustrated with store meat

Post by justmyopinion »

Organic Meat wrote:I am new here and would like to say that I am very wary of the meat products in our grocery stores and large chain supermarkets. Having a few friends who have worked at meat processing plants around Langley, I am very saddened to here about the cramped conditions, clubbing of runt poultry and killing methodologies used to obtain our pork and beef. I have a healthier alternative that has been cheaper and hormone free. I go bear hunting in May and deer hunting in September. I am always able to fill my freezer with several hundred pounds of quality free range meat each year. Getting my family's meat in this manner does not require the imprisonment of an animal for long periods of time in cramped quarters or the introducition of questionable chemicals. Responsible black bear or deer hunting results in an ethical harvesting action that takes less than 1 minute. An added benefit is the respect that the animal is shown by preserving the hide and/or skull. I have donated a bear skull to a high school for help with their biology program. I keep the antlers of my deer as well. I don't believe in wasting. I am very happy to share this way of carrying on our Canadian tradition of healthy self sustainability in BC. Be sure to get all your papers first and become familiar with what you are doing before you venture out into the back country.

Good on ya! This is the true meaning of hunting and I am happy to read that none of the animal is wasted. I am often leary of store bought meat products too and it scares me the crap they probably put in it....I can not hunt, I would cry everytime I pulled the trigger, but I sure wish I could get beef etc that was not from a store....
Advocate
Guru

Post by Advocate »

I dunno. If it were up to me to kill it, I wouldn't eat meat.
I get my meat from the grocery store, where the animals are already dead, cleaned and packaged for my freezer.
I think I'm like most people that way.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

I guess if you like the taste of bear and deer meat.
I guess if you love killing our wildlife.
I guess if you feel a sense of accomplishment.
I guess if you feel your form of "the kill" is better.
I guess if you enjoy gutting and cutting your own meat.

Would you become a Bear and Deer hunter!

Personally, I'd rather just enjoy seeing them in nature.
Beagle001

Post by Beagle001 »

UltraViolet wrote:I guess if you like the taste of bear and deer meat.

I would say this is me !
There really are alot of reasons to eat organic meat besides the obvious
health aspects !
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

UltraViolet wrote:I guess if you like the taste of bear and deer meat.

Would you become a Bear and Deer hunter!

Personally, I'd rather just enjoy seeing them in nature.

So what you are saying is that you like to see deer starving and dying a slow, painful death. You like to see death by starvation happen to 70% of the deer population every time we have a bad winter. You like to see them crawling across the snow with distended rib cages and open sores. You like to see them weakened and suffering from disease as high populations and the resulting crowding on winter ranges causes. That's what you get with unhunted deer populations, every time.

Personally, I'd rather see vibrant, healthy animals. I'd rather see them flourish and be disease free. I hate seeing a starving animal. I hate seeing carnage on our highways as over-populated, starving deer look for nourishment along roadsides. I'd rather have meat in my freezer that isn't injected with chemicals.

I take responsibility for the food I eat, rather than hiring someone at a slaughterhouse to do it for me. My meat doesn't run the risk of being "over accepted fecal content" guidelines (YUCK!) like your store-bought meat does. I like it when my doctor tells me my cholesterol levels are so low that he thought the test was wrong until he remembered that I eat wild game. The exercise that I get when hunting also helps to keep me healthy and fit. My low cholesterol, physical fitness, and contribution to animal conservation save you loads of money as a taxpayer.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
rogerklym

Post by rogerklym »

mmmm....meat!

If you are a responsible hunter, have at it...If you can find and afford organic meat, go for it. As for me I need to stick to my "fecal contaminated" store bought meat. I am still alive, and still healthy, and gosh darn it...it tastes good!
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I'm all for harvesting wild game. Unfortunately, I am not a good 'eye' for hunting. I learned several years ago that I am best off not going into the woods with a loaded weapon.
I come from a family of hunters, trappers and fishermen so have always had my 'acquired taste' in place.
I'm no longer surrounded by family (...for good reason!), so no longer have my 'membership privileges'. I do have a few friends in the area that hunt and fish, so they occasionally 'fix me up' with some good cuts, fillets and the occasional bird.
I have managed to seek and find sources for all of my meats now, so that my beef, pork and chicken all come from organic sources. I also get my eggs fresh and organically raised as well.
I still appreciate wild meat and know the benefits of it over beef or pork. I know how much better it tastes as well as how much better it does the human body, but I settle for my organic raised finds because I don't have solid, consistent sources for 'the good stuff'.
Any hunters out there with 'too much' of last year's wraps left in the freezer, feel free to call on me to help you take care of some of that for ya. ;)
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I grew up with a White Tailed Buck hanging to drain from the backyard clothes dryer post.

We had lots of sausage, steaks etc. every year. Almost every year. One year mom told my brother to take out the garbage and lo and behold, he also hauled all the stuff in cardboard boxes out. All of that year's kill.

Damn it.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

Graham Adder wrote:I'm all for harvesting wild game. Unfortunately, I am not a good 'eye' for hunting. I learned several years ago that I am best off not going into the woods with a loaded weapon.
I come from a family of hunters, trappers and fishermen so have always had my 'acquired taste' in place.
I'm no longer surrounded by family (...for good reason!), so no longer have my 'membership privileges'. I do have a few friends in the area that hunt and fish, so they occasionally 'fix me up' with some good cuts, fillets and the occasional bird.
I have managed to seek and find sources for all of my meats now, so that my beef, pork and chicken all come from organic sources. I also get my eggs fresh and organically raised as well.
I still appreciate wild meat and know the benefits of it over beef or pork. I know how much better it tastes as well as how much better it does the human body, but I settle for my organic raised finds because I don't have solid, consistent sources for 'the good stuff'.
Any hunters out there with 'too much' of last year's wraps left in the freezer, feel free to call on me to help you take care of some of that for ya. ;)

I'd sure be interested in getting my hands on some organically grown beef and pork too!! Anyone know of somewhere in Vernon?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

It's a good thing most people like store bought meat or there wouldn't be a thing in the woods left to hunt.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Do you honestly think a deer gives a *bleep* if you "respect it by not wasting?" It's dead and probably pretty *bleep* off!! It's gonna come back and haunt you at some point! I eat chicken and beef because those two animals are kinda wimps.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

BoB76 wrote: I eat chicken and beef because those two animals are kinda wimps.

They say you are what you eat! :dyinglaughing:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Bsuds wrote:
BoB76 wrote: I eat chicken and beef because those two animals are kinda wimps.

They say you are what you eat! :dyinglaughing:

You must eat cat?
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Pookybear
Übergod

Post by Pookybear »

justmyopinion wrote:
Graham Adder wrote:I'm all for harvesting wild game. Unfortunately, I am not a good 'eye' for hunting. I learned several years ago that I am best off not going into the woods with a loaded weapon.

I'd sure be interested in getting my hands on some organically grown beef and pork too!! Anyone know of somewhere in Vernon?

I haven't tried any of these yet but here's some links.
http://www.blackcreekranch.com
http://www.bigbearranch.com
http://www.celistaspringsranch.com
http://www.valefarms.com

Return to “Social Concerns”