Where to find Morel mushrooms in the Okanagan?

11090163A

Where to find Morel mushrooms in the Okanagan?

Post by 11090163A »

I went looking the other day around the fintry area near the fires but couldn't find any does anyone know where there's a good spot? I'm not interested in selling I just enjoy them its a prairie tradition in my family

Thanks
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Where to find Morel mushrooms in the Okanagan?

Post by gardengirl »

11090163A wrote:I went looking the other day around the fintry area near the fires but couldn't find any does anyone know where there's a good spot? I'm not interested in selling I just enjoy them its a prairie tradition in my family

Thanks

Are those the ones that are cone shaped and look like a sea sponge?
If so, they tend to show up where there has been a forest fire.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

OKanagan Mountain Park used to have lots.......particularly in the first years after the fire.
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

Also they can sometimes be found in old growth orchards. Years ago we picked loads of them in Winfield (I think the year before there HAD been some forest fires but not in the Winfield area specifically - I think heard that the spores can travel a long distance ???).
We found that we'd always find more right after a fresh rain - tomorrow might be a good day for them to pop up.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL - Morel hunters do not share the location of their hunting areas. Don't ask them, it's considered quite rude.

See: http://www.ehow.com/how_2250597_morel-mushrooms.html

:dyinglaughing:
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Pssst. There was a fire in Glenrosa last summer...
Actually, it's surprising that you didn't find any in Fintry. Maybe it's just too early.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

What do Morel mushrooms sell for now, about 30 or 40 dollars a pound was the price the last time I bought them on a trip down south. Man, I had them in a sauce on Pheasant and it blew my mind. I would love to find some fresh ones. Right now the hunting for asparagus is fantastic. Cream of asparagus soup, just cant get enough.
We Have Been Conditioned To See Only What They Want Us To See.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

My Dad would have been with NAB on this one, do not under any circumstances reveal your wild mushroom haunt. Or kill the person you just told, just to be safe.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

I think its too early. Seems to me they are later in the summer .Hubby and a friend got a haul from the OK muntain fire area ,but that was in the summer
unknown

Post by unknown »

Still too cool and has been too dry. Another few weeks I'd expect. A friend directed me to a spot after the Ok mountain fire and we could have filled barrels, but only brought a few grocery bags. The ground was black with them, and it was a long hard drive up a very nasty road so we never went back. We did get enough for several good feeds. Layed them on a sheet of plywood in the garage with a small fan blowing across them to dry and then kept them in plastic jars with tight lids.

It's not just anywhere but the type of terrain too.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

I talked to a few French Canadians last summer who were making $180 a day picking cherries which I thought was good money until they told me they can make over $1000 a day picking Morel mushrooms! They said it's a big business, GPS, float planes, hunting at night with lights but added it's been really poor picking for the past four years in BC. So I doubt anyone is going to reveal their spot!
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

11090163A wrote:I went looking the other day around the fintry area near the fires but couldn't find any does anyone know where there's a good spot? I'm not interested in selling I just enjoy them its a prairie tradition in my family

Thanks

Probably too dry. As soon as overnight temps stay above freezing they will show up if there is moisture.
Last edited by Cateyes on Apr 28th, 2010, 11:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Find something to give a damn about!
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

NAB wrote:DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL - Morel hunters do not share the location of their hunting areas. Don't ask them, it's considered quite rude.

See: http://www.ehow.com/how_2250597_morel-mushrooms.html

:dyinglaughing:

Oh PULLLLEaazzzze! :spinball:
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

kompili wrote:What do Morel mushrooms sell for now, about 30 or 40 dollars a pound was the price the last time I bought them on a trip down south. Man, I had them in a sauce on Pheasant and it blew my mind. I would love to find some fresh ones. Right now the hunting for asparagus is fantastic. Cream of asparagus soup, just cant get enough.

If you buy them yea. Pickers only get $5-7 a lb from wholesalers. Some years you can get more depending on supply/demand. With all the fires last year I suspect there will be no shortage of supply.
Last edited by Cateyes on Apr 28th, 2010, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

bobbie2 wrote:Still too cool and has been too dry. Another few weeks I'd expect. A friend directed me to a spot after the Ok mountain fire and we could have filled barrels, but only brought a few grocery bags. The ground was black with them, and it was a long hard drive up a very nasty road so we never went back. We did get enough for several good feeds. Layed them on a sheet of plywood in the garage with a small fan blowing across them to dry and then kept them in plastic jars with tight lids.

It's not just anywhere but the type of terrain too.

I must have picked over a hundred pounds up there that year. Next year there was nothing! I was eating dried Morels for years.

Apparently the fire sterilizes the ground which encourages the spores to grow. The actual spores are everywhere.

Return to “Central Okanagan”