Wild Asparagus

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Graham Adder
Guru

Re: Wild Asparagus

Post by Graham Adder »

Very slow coming up, but really thick hearty spears.
I just can't brag enough about how delicious it is fresh and 'wild'.
If you like asparagus...imagine asparagus X10.

I went for a walk to see if I could find some other patches, and did indeed find some, but am sad to report to those who haven't secured a source, that you're pretty much too late. Those that weren't cropped from the 'get-go' have already started their ferns and once that happens, they never come back properly if you try to stunt them into shooting more spears.

If you're lucky enough to be shown or to find some ferns now, you'll know where to go next spring.

The cold nights and cool days are keeping the growth slow, but it's also producing deep purples and blood reds in the spears. Thumb-thick but still a good consistency for raw chews. I'm diggin' it.

:nyah:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Last year my Dad planted asparagus roots on his terraced hillside garden, we got a feed of them for sure. I'm letting the rest go to seed, but want to transplant the roots to my downtown location.

Q: has anyone successfully transplanted established roots?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Have already had 3 feeds of local asparagrass, got them from the Winfeild Veggie Mart. No work ,lots of taste.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Local and Wild do not compare. The work involved for me is only in bending over to pick it. I walk/roam the area several times a day regardless.

These past few days have done the spears some good. This will be the fourth good lot. I've been bringing in about a pound and a half each time, so definitely enough to keep two supplies.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Does anyone care to share with me somewhere I can find wild asparagus in the Vernon-ish area?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

I was told there is some down by the Vernon airport...but I'm not sure exactly where and have not gone looking for it....I planted some in my garden
native medicine man

Post by native medicine man »

i pick 20 to 50 pounds aw day everywhere up an down thompson river i know of like soo many places too pick every day all day all season an still more selling too all reastraunts mayors an ex mayors an ppl that jus dont know where to get it an i give to all elders that ask... everywhere u can think last year i made $2740 in jus three weeks an still slayed all season an made hundreds everyday an picked the biggest one i have ever seen anywhere including the net searches.. perfect 19 inches an 2 an 3 quarters of an inch i know of sum aw the biggest patches u pickers would cry its soo good u ppl dont even know everyone i know or go pickn n i know alot of ppl i know an i still pick twice three times as much an im up at 5 everyday out there even when its windy raining i gear up an its all over for the average picker.. i am thompson native like the land eye walk an the water i drink ...i have bin pickn scince i was six out there learning all the traditional spots from elders an older elders that have past all around on rezserves thats bin past generations an putn all the knowledge in one hat i got aw medicine man that is 133 years an lives off the land still an i gather everything off the land up high an down low ...ppl should know im the new breed an do everything an get everything i dont do drugs an dont drink an in reall good shape jus too let yu all know there are ppl out there that dont get heard of or seen..
Traci

Post by Traci »

I prefer the false Solomon Seal. I am patiently waiting for them to pop up. I'm just finishing the last few bags I picked last year.

It amazes me how much great food is around. I love curled dock also. Nettles are not ready quite yet with the late snow fall.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”