Well look what......... Kelowna paid for a bear

Tandr
Board Meister

Re: Well look what......... Kelowna paid for a bear

Post by Tandr »

grammafreddy wrote:I still think it should have been named "Simpson Park". If Stanley Simpson hadn't given the land to the city, we wouldn't have it - we'd have expensive condos and hotels there instead. :D

http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/page482.aspx

nice pictures. I was there when you were taking those pictures Gramma Freddy. Were it not for the fact there were many tourists taking pictures, your cover would be blown!

saw the cute kid in the motorcar too
Bejvas
Lord of the Board

Post by Bejvas »

kompili wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:I still think it should have been named "Simpson Park". If Stanley Simpson hadn't given the land to the city, we wouldn't have it - we'd have expensive condos and hotels there instead. :D

http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/page482.aspx

You see, this makes a lot of sense, Simpson Park, named after the person that really made this park happen. Politicians naming parks and what not after politicians should be against the law of treating the people that elect them like imbeciles.

Then the following statue would have been more appropriate and fun!

"Just because you're angry, it doesn't mean you have the right to be cruel."
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Bejvas wrote:

That's just dumb. Was it necessary?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
mtnman1
Guru

Post by mtnman1 »

grammafreddy wrote:
Bejvas wrote:

That's just dumb. Was it necessary?

Considering to whom the reply was directed at.....yes.
Lack of objection is implied consent.
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

The fight against upholding Simpson's gift to the people of Kelowna cost the tax payer's $75,000 plus the cost of City employee time to coordinate this disgusting fight.

It's a real kick in the face of the Simpson family to name the park after a member of the gang who tried to take the Simpson gift away from the people who Simpson thought so much of that he shared his wealth and gave them a beautiful piece of property. Shame on city management... it's disrespectful to Kelowna citizens and almost like an act of vegance against Sharron Simpson!

Thanks to Sharron Simpson the people have this park... who knows who would be greasing the skids and what would be going on that beautiful property otherwise.

Covenant fight cost city $75,000
J.P. SQUIRE 2009-01-15

The city‘s legal battle against the Simpson covenant cost taxpayers more than $75,000.

In a news release Wednesday, city officials revealed the legal fees between 2004 and 2008 include $36,800 in court costs and $10,240 to appeal a B.C. Supreme Court decision. The appeal was abandoned in October.

The balance, about $18,000, was spent on obtaining ongoing legal advice from city solicitor Barry Williamson or having him attend some of the dozens of meetings over five years between Sharron Simpson, lawyer Tom Smithwick, city staff and city council members.

The city paid an additional $10,275 in costs to the Save the Heritage Simpson Covenant Society after losing a B.C. Supreme Court lawsuit filed by the society to retain the covenant.

According to the news release, “council decided to release the costs as there will be no appeal and the court-awarded costs have been paid to the society.”

However, when The Daily Courier sought the release of the legal costs in late October, the newspaper was told to file a Freedom of Information request with city clerk Stephen Fleming.

The Nov. 3 request was denied by the city on Dec. 15 on the basis that legal costs are a matter of solicitor-client privilege. The Daily Courier then wrote directly to council members asking for the release while considering an appeal to the provincial Information and Privacy Commissioner.

“There was a lot of public interest in knowing (the legal costs). It had to come as a council decision. Council analyzed it and nobody had an issue with it being released,” said Mayor Sharon Shepherd.

“It is unfortunate whenever things have to go to court to try and be resolved.”

Council has accepted the reasons for judgment and is now focusing on the construction of Stuart Park between Queensway and Kelowna Yacht Club, she said.

“The City Hall block will be planned through a comprehensive public consultation process recognizing the charitable trust conditions (covenant).”

The rezoning of Stuart Park in 2007 and the creation of a future Civic Centre zone will help to ensure the goal of preserving public ownership and access to the City Hall site and to Okanagan Lake from City Park to Knox Mountain Park is achieved, she said.

“I‘m just glad it‘s over,” said Smithwick, a former alderman who donated his time to the society.

“I, too, am glad it‘s over,” said Simpson. “But I wish it was a figure that better represented the true costs of this. And that would have been to include the staff time that had been spent over the five-year period in discussing it.”

“The time costs over the five years have been considerable,” added Smithwick.

Stanley Simpson sold two parcels of land between the lake and Ellis Street containing his Kelowna Sawmill to the city in 1946 on the condition that the 12-acre properties not be sold, used for commercial or industrial purposes and be retained for public benefit.

The $55,000 price was essentially cleanup costs after the sawmill burned down, argued Sharron Simpson, his granddaughter.

However, the city got a legal opinion that the covenant was never properly registered and was not enforceable.

The city quietly got a Yukon company, the legal successor to Kelowna Sawmill, to discharge the covenant while discussions were underway with Sharron Simpson.

That last line really burns... I wonder who led that sneaky effort? :127:
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Bestside wrote:
The city quietly got a Yukon company, the legal successor to Kelowna Sawmill, to discharge the covenant while discussions were underway with Sharron Simpson.

That last line really burns... I wonder who led that sneaky effort? :127:

Who? I'd like to know the answer to that.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Otter
Board Meister

Post by Otter »

exFarmerS wrote:
Otter wrote:Perhaps the city should consider allowing the citizens of Kelowna (you know, the people actually footing the bill) to pick the art to be put in parks, etc. They could put out tenders to ALL artists, not just people "from away" and then post the proposals on the city website and announce it open for a vote.

Gee, that's exactly what happens. Too bad you missed it.

I did miss it. When was the competition announced? What media was used to distribute the contest information? Who judged the entries? How many entries were there? When and where was the announcement of the winning entry announced?

Obviously, you must have heard about it from somewhere that I was not paying attention to because the first I knew of the stature was when it was erected in the park.

Inquiring minds want to know! :sunshine:
Otter
Board Meister

Post by Otter »

Atmos wrote:Your complaints are invalid. Do you want to explore the reasons why or are you just complaining here because it's the only place left where people will listen to you?

babbitman wrote:Looks like a great place for birds to nest in the spring....

You are boring. Very boring.

And, you sir, madam, or troll, are being a twerp. Why are you calling ME boring when all I did was present an idea and ask a question?

Geez, some people's pets. :127:
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I think Atmos referred to me being boring, and your postings as invalid. Either way, we were both painted with a brush of similar pigment. Some peoples pets should be neutered and kept on a leash.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Bestside wrote:The fight against upholding Simpson's gift to the people of Kelowna cost the tax payer's $75,000 plus the cost of City employee time to coordinate this disgusting fight.

It's a real kick in the face of the Simpson family to name the park after a member of the gang who tried to take the Simpson gift away from the people who Simpson thought so much of that he shared his wealth and gave them a beautiful piece of property. Shame on city management... it's disrespectful to Kelowna citizens and almost like an act of vegance against Sharron Simpson!

Thanks to Sharron Simpson the people have this park... who knows who would be greasing the skids and what would be going on that beautiful property otherwise.

Jim Stuart was a former mayor of Kelowna and NOT on city council when the City took the covenent issue to court. So, to call him park of the "gang" is inaccurate. Also, what is now Stuart Park was never part of the land that would have been altered by the covenent. There was never any intention of displacing that park for a highrise development. The citizens of Kelowna have been aware that land was slated for Stuart Park from the time the old courthouse was torn down on that property.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Timi
Fledgling

Post by Timi »

One of my favourite things about the park, is the dog drinking fountain....and I don't even have a dog.

I like the bear...although I think it was quite pricey...but I always forget art is expensive. A painting for a wall usually costs between $250-$1500, or more, so a 10 foot metal bear is ofcourse going be a lot more. I like the way you see the outline of it in the sky as you are walking or driving by the park.
stay real.
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

Piecemaker wrote:
Bestside wrote:The fight against upholding Simpson's gift to the people of Kelowna cost the tax payer's $75,000 plus the cost of City employee time to coordinate this disgusting fight.

Jim Stuart was a former mayor of Kelowna and NOT on city council when the City took the covenent issue to court. So, to call him park of the "gang" is inaccurate. Also, what is now Stuart Park was never part of the land that would have been altered by the covenent. There was never any intention of displacing that park for a highrise development. The citizens of Kelowna have been aware that land was slated for Stuart Park from the time the old courthouse was torn down on that property.

Not so... they had many other plans for the Simpson gifted lands... including closing Kerry Park, closing Queensway from Water to the lake, a high rise on the foot of Doyle fronting onto the area where the yacht club sits, much like the hotel they had in the defunct CD21 plan, and a landscaped "bandstand" right across from where city hall sits. Plans for paving stones on Water St. in front of where city hall sits, in a half circle pattern facing the "bandstand". Plans to be able to close Water to traffic when entertainment was on... With closing Kerry park that is where the entertainment would go. Tearing down the old arena... relocating the police bldg. and relocating City hall... Relocating the court house due to it's structural problems, relocating the "theatre".

I really liked those plans... far better that than a skateboard park that should have been in city park in amongst the pines for a winter wonderland ice-skating setting.

But ...that was before I knew about the Simpson covenent and it's history.
All those other plans were what the covenent court case was about.

They got on track after the judgement:
Council has accepted the reasons for judgment and is now focusing on the construction of Stuart Park between Queensway and Kelowna Yacht Club, she said.

... and then finally designed the park as it sits today..
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Bestside wrote:
MAPearce wrote:At least the Civic award plaques were done locally.

That accountant who won one of the awards could not buy advertising like that!

I think the free corporate advertising for a year with the civic awards was far over the top.

Don't know anything about that,but at least I got a few days wages out of making those plaques and the stainless steel plates they're bolted to.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

MAPearce wrote:
Bestside wrote:

I think the free corporate advertising for a year with the civic awards was far over the top.

Don't know anything about that,but at least I got a few days wages out of making those plaques and the stainless steel plates they're bolted to.

Sorry, I was not clear in my post...
I was referring to the plaques.. 2nd picture in this link...
http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=27045&start=185

Nice job! Could you have created this bear given the computer digitized image?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Bestside wrote:
MAPearce wrote:
Bestside wrote:

Sorry, I was not clear in my post...
I was referring to the plaques.. 2nd picture in this link...
http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=27045&start=185

Nice job! Could you have created this bear given the computer digitized image?

Sure ! But all that plaque stuff was computerized (lay out) I'd have preffered something less computer or digital and something more done by "hand and eye".

To me,there just isn't much "art" in computer and "digitized" stuff.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “Central Okanagan”