Noah's Ark

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
tryscotty
Fledgling

Re: Noah's Ark

Post by tryscotty »

Here's a link that talks about the mountain ranges. I can't verify this site and I don't have time to read the whole thing. I have seen documentaries about this and there does seem to much online about mountain ranges moving and growing ect.

http://www.unmaskingevolution.com/18-flood.htm
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

tryscotty wrote:Here's a link that talks about the mountain ranges. I can't verify this site and I don't have time to read the whole thing. I have seen documentaries about this and there does seem to much online about mountain ranges moving and growing ect.

http://www.unmaskingevolution.com/18-flood.htm

It's a pity you didn't "verify" the site before posting a link to it. To the casual observer they would necessarily think that you are challenged when it comes to discerning fact from fiction. Nevertheless, I did take the time to read through it and the only snippets I could find to support your assertion are the following:

(23) Studies show that much of the world's folded beds of sediment have no compression fractures, indicating that they were contorted while they were still wet and soft. For this to occur on a global scale, and on sediment thousands of metres thick, it would have required a catastrophic global flood.

(30) The uplift of the major mountain ranges are relatively young, based on evolutionary chronology. If the long-age evolutionary time scale is ignored, these processes would have occurred in the very recent past - ie as a result of the flood cataclysm.

So, soggy rocks, eh?
tryscotty
Fledgling

Post by tryscotty »

That's the part. Theres really much to be found about that though. I did a search for geological evidence of global flood. You want links. Have at it. I really only had one original point. See op. Goodnight all. Maybe someone will start a new thread.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

From the OP:
tryscotty wrote:Please don't use the flood account as an excuse to not trust the Bible.

Was that the message you were trying to convey, tryscotty?
tryscotty
Fledgling

Post by tryscotty »

It was more of, a lack of belief in God. Questions about mountains , bugs , mammoths and so forth are not the issue. If God did cause a global flood everything would have also been under his control too. anyways I've said that I think three times so far. How about something new.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

Well I'd certainly concede that if there was a god and he in fact had the power to create the universe, world and all its creatures .... then yes, the flood would be child's play for him. It's such a pity that there is not one single itty-bitty shred of evidence, or even a valid reason to subscribe to such a theory.
5VP
Übergod

Post by 5VP »

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/eu ... 97781.html

In my opinion and considering the perceptions of the ancient mind and the possibility of advanced (extraterrestrials?) civilizations existing here at that time...

The "Ark" is a metaphor for a scientific repository, or even a laboratory, for knowledge and perhaps as many DNA samples as could be gathered before whatever cataclysm befell these ancient peoples.

It may very well have never been an actual floating boat but a reinforced building structure dug into Mt. Ararat and which may still be buried there.

Though built by Noah, according to some well known engineering specifications, it seems likely to me that Noah was chosen to build this simply because of his availability and expertise in boat/shipbuilding.

He was likely the only contractor available who could have a reasonable chance of building this ark in the limited time requirements available.

There are also some intriguing possibilities for an ark of sorts in the Bosnian "Pyramid" Valley and it could be possible that there are other similar arks spread around the planet as the flood story/myth seems to have evolved in many other cultures...

2 cents out...
Infinite rider on the big dogma...
Tumult
Board Meister

Post by Tumult »

Born_again wrote:Now, in a landmark discovery, chemist John Sutherland has created the conditions in which the building blocks of RNA, one of the key molecules of life and the probable precursor to DNA, assemble themselves naturally.

Emphasis mine.

That is in reference to the ingredient for RNA assembling not RNA itself. Prior to this breakthrough they had failed to get the ingredients to form under conditions that were plausible for the early earth. If they couldn't even get the ingredients to form that would be a considerable setback for the theory. From what I have read they still haven't been able to get all the ingredients for RNA to form although if they do reach that point they supposedly have figured out how RNA could assemble from the base ingredients. I have also read about scientists getting (some form of) RNA to compete for "resources" but that's with already formed RNA. All in all they are quite a ways along but as far as I know have not actually had RNA assemble under conditions plausible for the early earth.
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Born_again wrote: It's such a pity that there is not one single itty-bitty shred of evidence, or even a valid reason to subscribe to such a theory.

I would argue there are several valid reasons one could subscribe to such a theory.
1) The widespread stories with a common theme around the world.
2) Other references in written literature like the Epic of Gilgamesh.
3) The Chinese characters have been around at least 700 years longer than the oldest book in the Bible, and what does the character for boat consist of? Vessel + eight + mouth [ie a vessel with 8 people on it]

As far as physical evidence goes, much like the Theory of Pangaea, there is evidence - just not as much you'd expect, but it is likely we humans just don't understand how quickly nature changes. A study was done on what NYC would look like in a 100 years if we all vanished, and most of us were more than a bit surprised how unrecognizable the place would be in a mere 100 years.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

Evidence of ancient localised floods -- YES
Evidence of boats in ancient times -- YES
Evidence of global flood that rose to 9km above sea level -- NO
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

I always liked the story of the Sleeping Giant.

In Thunder Bay if you look across the lake you will see this :

http://www.tourist-attractions-guide.co ... r-bay.html

The story goes - the local Natives knew of a Silver and Copper Mine on the tip of Sibley peninsula. They were told to keep it a secret. When the white man came, some natives told the secret, angered the gods, and the Giant Nanabijou went to sleep on the mine to protect it and guard it.

1. There really is a rich silver deposit on the tip of Sibley Peninsula.
2. The Natives really did tell their secret to the white man
3. It looks like a Giant really did lay down in the bay.

Does that mean we should be digging up rocks and trying to find Nanabijou DNA on the peninsula?

Old stories are based on some truth - but come on already!
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Bagotricks wrote:I always liked the story of the Sleeping Giant.

In Thunder Bay if you look across the lake you will see this :

http://www.tourist-attractions-guide.co ... r-bay.html

The story goes - the local Natives knew of a Silver and Copper Mine on the tip of Sibley peninsula. They were told to keep it a secret. When the white man came, some natives told the secret, angered the gods, and the Giant Nanabijou went to sleep on the mine to protect it and guard it.

1. There really is a rich silver deposit on the tip of Sibley Peninsula.
2. The Natives really did tell their secret to the white man
3. It looks like a Giant really did lay down in the bay.

Does that mean we should be digging up rocks and trying to find Nanabijou DNA on the peninsula?

Old stories are based on some truth - but come on already!

Some more on those Ancient Copper mines in Lake Superior....over 5000 ancient copper mines on Isle Royale on Lake Superior alone were mined over 3000 years ago.

http://www.helium.com/items/1654802-his ... pper-mines

http://www.science-frontiers.com/sf090/sf090a01.htm

http://www.michigansotherside.com/Artic ... Page2.html

http://www.jewellhistories.com/ancient_mines.htm
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
5VP
Übergod

Post by 5VP »

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-a ... -tepe.html

This site is located only a few hundred kilometers from Mt Ararat...
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

This site is posted by either Average Joe or Peaceseeker in another category.

Interesting stuff to be sure.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
5VP
Übergod

Post by 5VP »

I found it relevant to this thread because of the amount of animals depicted on the stonework...

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”