Pronunciation of the name "Toews"

A potpourri of off-topics.
WhatThe

Pronunciation of the name "Toews"

Post by WhatThe »

I've only heard the name twice, Vic Toews the politician and Johnathan Toews from the Chicago blackhawks. I always hear it pronounced "Tays" or "Taves", mind you it's always on TV so I'm really not sure which or what I'm hearing.
So what's the deal? Am I just deaf, ethnic origin, what? This has bugged me for a while now. Just one of those things ya know?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Pronunciation of the name "Toews"

Post by oneh2obabe »

Jonathan Bryan Toews (pronounced /ˈteɪvz/ tayvz; born April 29, 1988) is a Canadian professional ice hockey centre who plays for and is captain of the Chicago Blackhawks of the National Hockey League (NHL).
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

LOL - yup, Taves it is. Good Mennonite name, perhaps Dutch.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Well whaddya know... Thanks.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

And what about Patrick Roy? Not one bit of similarity between the spelling and the pronunciation... what is up with that?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

That's what happens when you're born in Quebec ... confuse the rest of Canada. Patrick Jacques Roy (French pronunciation: [ʁwa]; born October 5, 1965) is a former Canadian ice hockey goaltender.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Try being saddled with a name like Daniel Fuchs.

CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

You may find this interesting WhatThe. http://www.houseofnames.com/toews-family-crest

~D

Return to “Grab Bag”