Penticton couple missing for over two weeks in USA

Roadster
Time waster at work

Re: Penticton Couple Missing for over two weeks in USA

Post by Roadster »

scorpion1024 wrote:
Bellevuejim wrote:Everybody has a right to ask questions. Everybody has a right to question the facts presented. .

There are always all kinds of crazy conspiracy theories out there. Who knows what people do...some examples:

I think it's important to look at all facts logically.

Please explain to me what the benefit is to Mrs.Chretien to stage a fake 7 week survival in a mini-van.

To appear on the Oprah show?

:eyeballspin:

It is a good idea, mind you, if you dont mind going on a killer diet to get there,,,,,, :coffeecanuck:
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
1off

Post by 1off »

i am not religious ...but pray for albert.....getting stuck can take ,what seems like, years off your life in a matter of minutes....incredibly stressfull esp. when you can't get back or go ahead because of snow patches 3 feet deep in the shadows and non- existant in the south faceing areas ....i can't imagine how he felt as he walked away .......men get lost all the time and it turns into a pride thing.....i just hope his strength and will to save his wife and himself has carried him thru.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Looking back at it, I wish he hadn't left the vehicle but that is hind sight. Rita proved them right when they say don't leave it and yet we wonder when they say it. Now we know. 7 weeks had to be awfully long for her but she did it. I hope they do find him. Sounds like she is making full recovery which is nice to know.
We don't always put food in the vehicle for day trips but I think we will now if leaving town even for just a day. I do keep blankets and lots of other stuff like tools and even a pair of boots in all of the cars but I think there will be a bit more put in them now. Could happen anywhere. One thing we always do is take bottles of water for all trips.
Well wishes for the family and hoping for that second miracle.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Roadster wrote:Looking back at it, I wish he hadn't left the vehicle but that is hind sight. Rita proved them right when they say don't leave it and yet we wonder when they say it. Now we know. 7 weeks had to be awfully long for her but she did it. I hope they do find him. Sounds like she is making full recovery which is nice to know.
We don't always put food in the vehicle for day trips but I think we will now if leaving town even for just a day. I do keep blankets and lots of other stuff like tools and even a pair of boots in all of the cars but I think there will be a bit more put in them now. Could happen anywhere. One thing we always do is take bottles of water for all trips.
Well wishes for the family and hoping for that second miracle.

My suggestion would be to not drive up snowy roads in a foreign country without telling someone where you are going. That would take most of the risk out of it.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Roadster wrote:Looking back at it, I wish he hadn't left the vehicle but that is hind sight. Rita proved them right when they say don't leave it and yet we wonder when they say it. Now we know. 7 weeks had to be awfully long for her but she did it.

And if he had stayed put with the handful of trail mix and hard candies they had for provisions, would they both be dead now? It is becoming very likely that Al sacrificed himself for his wife's survival. May he rest in peace.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
NotLikeYou
Board Meister

Re: Penticton couple missing for over two weeks in USA

Post by NotLikeYou »

I knew there was a thread about these people some where!
Im sorry but i have to comment My opinion on these people.

They shouldnt have been found. end story.

nothing surprises me these days. Lets take a van not equiped for the off road, Off road on a road that looks terrible...and then lets some how get the van stuck 30 or more feet away from the road in the mud in another country. then let's split up and and try to get help!!! and lets not tell anyone where were going.

How the hell does someone get lost there anyways. Dam near see to the next town!!!!

I feel NOOOOOOOOO sympathy what so ever when I hear this story, infact I wish it wasnt in the media at all. this isnt a survival story at all.. this is a story thats so amazing becuase one dumb person actually made it out alive.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

NotLikeYou wrote:How the hell does someone get lost there anyways.

It has been mentioned in the media that they were misdirected by a GPS device.

NotLikeYou wrote:I feel NOOOOOOOOO sympathy what so ever when I hear this story, infact I wish it wasnt in the media at all. this isnt a survival story at all.. this is a story thats so amazing becuase one dumb person actually made it out alive.

Yes, the odds were long that anyone could survive such an ordeal.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

twobits wrote:
Roadster wrote:Looking back at it, I wish he hadn't left the vehicle but that is hind sight. Rita proved them right when they say don't leave it and yet we wonder when they say it. Now we know. 7 weeks had to be awfully long for her but she did it.

And if he had stayed put with the handful of trail mix and hard candies they had for provisions, would they both be dead now? It is becoming very likely that Al sacrificed himself for his wife's survival. May he rest in peace.

Or maybe putting their heads together they could have come up with something else they could have done maybe??? Getting that van moving somehow??? Maybe they could have hunted??? Who really knows.... Also who was to say it would be 7 weeks, turned out that way, yes. He might have sacrificed himself but I wouldn't be saying RIP just yet. He isn't found yet. She did prove the theory of staying near the vehicle is what my point is.

And for NotLikeYou,,,, Lets pray no mishap happens to you so we could wish the same on you.Things happen and not all are the fault of the person. Could it be he has been on this road before and things have changed or they had a vehicle breakdown that was not expected??? Ya stuff happens and you cant go off blaming people you don't know for a situation you know nothing about.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I fI hope the very best for this incredible mother and send good vibes to finding her hubbs alive as well.
This is a story worthy of retelling...it really IS best to stay put if you're lost.
Had hubbs stayed put too, however...I think they'd both have run out of food many days ago and we'd have a two body recovery to read about rather than a tale of survival.

Kudos to Ma for keeping her wits about her.
Kudos to Pa for doing what he felt was best to help his wife.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

We all make mistakes, some bigger than others.

I travelled from the South OK to Las Vegas and back right around the time the Chretiens got stuck and I took the same basic route, without the side trip up the gravel road, that is.

My wife and I left March 1st and returned Friday March 11 (they got stuck on Saturday March 19th)

In my younger days I did a lot of back road driving for recreation. When I did so, I drove a Landcruiser, had two spare tires, two gas tanks, a winch a come-a-long, lots of food and equipment.

My wife are in the same age range as the Chretiens. We travelled in an all wheel drive Sante Fe. Prior to travelling, I checked the road reports, I checked the height of each mountain pass and picked my route.

Even though I have a GPS in my vehicle I still picked up maps and checked the route the GPS picked for us against the printed maps. I was concerned about snow, even though I fully intended on travelling on major highways, because from my internet research I learned that there is a lot of snow in this general area.

I wouldn't have decided to look for (one media source said a ghost town) anything down a gravel road at this time of year, not on a bet. If I did, it would be later in the year and in a suitable vehicle, with proper equipment.

I'm still sorry this happened but all the prayer in the world doesn't replace a little planning and some common sense.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Alex1967
Fledgling

Post by Alex1967 »

Great news about Rita, a truly remarkable story. One can only hope for Al.

The hows, why and wherefores of what happened are all very obvious and only rub salt in the wound.

This tragedy should serve as a lesson to all regarding GPS devices. I have heard many similar (without the tragic results) stories of drivers following a GPS. Nothing beats a map, compass, local knowledge and common sense. People seem to put too much faith into a GPS. These same people are the ones who likely would never have ventured so far afield with a GPS, yet put so much faith in this device.

I have used a GPS lots as a pilot, but never as a driver. For flying they really are the cats meow, in conjunction with charts and common sense. For driving to new places though, I stick to research on google maps prior to departure, a paper map, some local knowledge if I can find it and common sense.

Imagine this hypothetical example. You are driving from the Lower Mainland to Hope, you find yourself on the Coquihalla and the GPS shows a "direct" route to Princeton, which does exist. But would you really want to drive it? Yes, if you and your vehicle are prepared, weather and road condition permit. Otherwise no.

Human factors is a study in itself when flying. One learns a lot about the mind, thought processes and the tricks one's mind can play on you. These human factors can be applied to many facets of life, including driving. Maybe of we go a little further? Should be better around this corner? Bound to run into someone soon? I'm sure the road will get better? Isnt't this fun accompanied with a forced smile? As the driver you don't want to turn around or stop.

I can see how exactly how the Chretiens got themselves into this predicament, and can only hope their tragic story will be lesson that many learn from.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

:rate10:
NotLikeYou
Board Meister

Post by NotLikeYou »

That still does not justify what has happend. not even one bit. How long have people NOT had gps's for, Im sure with there age you think they would be used to not havin one. LOL like I said, nothing surprises me anymore and common sense is VERY hard to come by these days.
Ali Gator
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ali Gator »

For anyone that thinks that this was planned somehow...give your head a shake! And for anyone that thinks this disaster was deserved because of ignorance...well then you are the ignorant one. We all make mistakes. We all do the woulda, coulda, shoulda but unfortunately we cannot turn back time to undo our mistakes. I am so glad to hear that Rita is back in Penticton and recouping close by her family. Still hoping for another miracle for Al. I know it seems far-fetched but with out a body, there is still hope!
NotLikeYou
Board Meister

Post by NotLikeYou »

I stand by my posts.
I am 100% for population control. You would have to be nieeve to not notice how many stupid people survive now a days. I miss back in the day when you had to keep your head up and have common sense to make it through life....

These people managed to get lost with tecnology we have these days......Look at there age as well. they have been around befor gps's and stuff and im sure have heard what a MAP is etc. this wasnt a case of one bad decision lead to another , this is a case of idiots lacking common sense and some how escaped the grasp of darwins thoery.. witch i wish every day was a law, and not a theory.

Do you know how many bums and crack heads go missing out of kelowna every month....and NO one cares....or even hears about it....but when to religous NUTS with money go missing it's the towns biggest story, atleast becuase there wasnt anything NEWS worthy to report at the time.

Return to “Central Okanagan”