Monday, December 22nd-0.6°C

Highway 33 construction accident...big surprise

Kelowna and Joe Rich topics.

Moderators: oneh2obabe, Jo, ferri, Triple 6

Re: Highway 33 construction accident...big surprise

Postby Dayleen » Oct 15th, 2010, 8:02 am

Notice the new dividing paint line in the area that had none...looks like someone took a spray can and connected the lines in some shoddy attempt to make is "safer" In the span of 5 minutes we witnessed 3 cars get confused heading east and stop in their lane and turn around, go back and then turn around again trying to figure it out,,,was the weirdest thing i've seen. I wished more than anything i had my video camera ready. Would have been fantastic to post that one on youtube. As it is we have other video of flaggers sitting in their car having a break for an hour and a half while graders and trucks are crossing back and forth while drivers try to cross the road with ZERO assistance from anyone...thought for sure i'd catch an accident right then and there..glad there wasn't though.
Dayleen
Board Meister

Liked in: 0 post

Postby member » Oct 15th, 2010, 8:48 am

Dayleen wrote:Notice the new dividing paint line in the area that had none...looks like someone took a spray can and connected the lines in some shoddy attempt to make is "safer" In the span of 5 minutes we witnessed 3 cars get confused heading east and stop in their lane and turn around, go back and then turn around again trying to figure it out,,,was the weirdest thing i've seen. I wished more than anything i had my video camera ready. Would have been fantastic to post that one on youtube. As it is we have other video of flaggers sitting in their car having a break for an hour and a half while graders and trucks are crossing back and forth while drivers try to cross the road with ZERO assistance from anyone...thought for sure i'd catch an accident right then and there..glad there wasn't though.

I believe they did use a spray can, I was in the stopped line of traffice when they did it and watched the girl spray an attempted straight line. Everyday there is a new pot-hole forming on that horrible road. What a mess.

Liked in: 1 post

Postby daria » Oct 15th, 2010, 12:57 pm

member wrote:I believe they did use a spray can, I was in the stopped line of traffice when they did it and watched the girl spray an attempted straight line. Everyday there is a new pot-hole forming on that horrible road. What a mess.

It's maddening! Also, where in the heck is the retaining wall that should have been built along the edge of the highway that they built up with crushed rocks?! That whole section of highway is going to have semis driving slowly up the hill in the right hand lane, and they haven't bothered to reinforce it!! It's a disaster waiting to happen.
Axial tilt is the reason for the season. Happy Solstice!
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
The Stupid... It Burns!
daria
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 640 posts

Postby Dayleen » Oct 15th, 2010, 2:23 pm

member wrote:
Dayleen wrote:Notice the new dividing paint line in the area that had none...looks like someone took a spray can and connected the lines in some shoddy attempt to make is "safer" In the span of 5 minutes we witnessed 3 cars get confused heading east and stop in their lane and turn around, go back and then turn around again trying to figure it out,,,was the weirdest thing i've seen. I wished more than anything i had my video camera ready. Would have been fantastic to post that one on youtube. As it is we have other video of flaggers sitting in their car having a break for an hour and a half while graders and trucks are crossing back and forth while drivers try to cross the road with ZERO assistance from anyone...thought for sure i'd catch an accident right then and there..glad there wasn't though.

I believe they did use a spray can, I was in the stopped line of traffice when they did it and watched the girl spray an attempted straight line. Everyday there is a new pot-hole forming on that horrible road. What a mess.

Ya, aren't the pot holes awesome! Brand new road and their patching it. We actually were blamed for water bubbling out of the ground where the new lane is by Garner road. We have a water gardening business..so...it must be our water. City came out and said nope, not ours..it's ground water....really? Could it have anything to do with the ditch that flowed like a creek year around that they filled IN with NO drainage...now that section is crumbling away...big shock :skyisfalling:
Dayleen
Board Meister

Postby member » Oct 15th, 2010, 3:02 pm

Dayleen wrote:
member wrote:

Ya, aren't the pot holes awesome! Brand new road and their patching it. We actually were blamed for water bubbling out of the ground where the new lane is by Garner road. We have a water gardening business..so...it must be our water. City came out and said nope, not ours..it's ground water....really? Could it have anything to do with the ditch that flowed like a creek year around that they filled IN with NO drainage...now that section is crumbling away...big shock :skyisfalling:

It's unreal how much of the new road is crumbling away. My fear is that the new drainage they are doing isn't going to be done properly and come spring when we have rain etc. who knows what that will do underground and on the new part they built up. That's just me and my worries though.

Liked in: 1 post

Postby The_Cheap_Seats80 » Oct 15th, 2010, 9:52 pm

Drove up to black mountain today for the first time in the last few months and I did not have any issues with the setup of the road. If you drive the appropiate speed and pay attention I can see no reason why this is a big deal.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”
The_Cheap_Seats80
Fledgling

Postby shfi1982 » Oct 16th, 2010, 5:40 am

The_Cheap_Seats80 wrote:Drove up to black mountain today for the first time in the last few months and I did not have any issues with the setup of the road. If you drive the appropiate speed and pay attention I can see no reason why this is a big deal.

Well, arent you freaking wooooonderful. Congratulations on having ONE successful run up the hwy in the last few months.

I drive it EVERY day, SEVERAL times a day. As do the other 5 other drivers in my family. In your ONE successful run, you did NOT have to deal with the driving pattern or pylon setup being ENTIRELY changed on your SECOND run or THIRD run or FOURTH run, being you obviously do NOT live up here. You have NOT had to deal with following the numerous different mazes that have been set up and changed over and over since this construction has started. You have not had to deal with the pylons being in one place when you go down to have them be in an unsafe place when you come back home. You do not have to deal with kids in the area moving pylons into the middle of the road, in UNLIT areas. You do NOT have to deal with the constant changing of the "temporary"lines.

The area that has been discussed alot is by the pond. Where the road line going DOWN the hwy, leads you exactly HALFWAY into the oncoming lane! Where it is going up the hwy the line points towards the opposite lane as well! The way that the pylons are set up tend to help lead people into oncoming traffic! That is the freaking problem!!! Especially at night because you cant see anything other than the reflections from a gazillon friggen pylons and lines drawn all over the damn place.

An accident has already happened at this exact spot. Luckly not a fatal one. I have watched numerous people have to swerve numerous times because of the misleading set up of the construction, and I have had to swerve myself numerous times, as has everyone in my family at some point or another. It is not due to speed being too high or not paying attention, it's due to not being able to see what way you are actually supposed to go, especially at night. It is DANGEROUS. PERIOD. And on top of all that, add in the sudden formations of pot holes and sinking large sections of road.

Just because you made a successful run and had no problems, doesnt mean a damn thing. The rest of us have been dealing with it since it started, and obviously have seen and experienced it more than you have.
shfi1982

Postby issueman » Oct 16th, 2010, 6:37 am

Safety? Be well aware that there are bad sections still in this construction.

Drove through last night about 8 p.m. Cones knocked down at detours.

Pond section and culvert/walkway section, still very dangerous.

Cones removed on Walker's Hill but no center lines??

Many areas still need concrete barriers.

We will all be glad when this is finished, even if it is two weeks behind schedule!
issueman
Übergod

Postby The_Cheap_Seats80 » Oct 16th, 2010, 7:16 am

shfi1982 wrote:
The_Cheap_Seats80 wrote:Drove up to black mountain today for the first time in the last few months and I did not have any issues with the setup of the road. If you drive the appropiate speed and pay attention I can see no reason why this is a big deal.

Well, arent you freaking wooooonderful. Congratulations on having ONE successful run up the hwy in the last few months.

I drive it EVERY day, SEVERAL times a day. As do the other 5 other drivers in my family. In your ONE successful run, you did NOT have to deal with the driving pattern or pylon setup being ENTIRELY changed on your SECOND run or THIRD run or FOURTH run, being you obviously do NOT live up here. You have NOT had to deal with following the numerous different mazes that have been set up and changed over and over since this construction has started. You have not had to deal with the pylons being in one place when you go down to have them be in an unsafe place when you come back home. You do not have to deal with kids in the area moving pylons into the middle of the road, in UNLIT areas. You do NOT have to deal with the constant changing of the "temporary"lines.

The area that has been discussed alot is by the pond. Where the road line going DOWN the hwy, leads you exactly HALFWAY into the oncoming lane! Where it is going up the hwy the line points towards the opposite lane as well! The way that the pylons are set up tend to help lead people into oncoming traffic! That is the freaking problem!!! Especially at night because you cant see anything other than the reflections from a gazillon friggen pylons and lines drawn all over the damn place.

An accident has already happened at this exact spot. Luckly not a fatal one. I have watched numerous people have to swerve numerous times because of the misleading set up of the construction, and I have had to swerve myself numerous times, as has everyone in my family at some point or another. It is not due to speed being too high or not paying attention, it's due to not being able to see what way you are actually supposed to go, especially at night. It is DANGEROUS. PERIOD. And on top of all that, add in the sudden formations of pot holes and sinking large sections of road.

Just because you made a successful run and had no problems, doesnt mean a damn thing. The rest of us have been dealing with it since it started, and obviously have seen and experienced it more than you have.

:waaaaaaa:
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”
The_Cheap_Seats80
Fledgling

Postby Dayleen » Oct 16th, 2010, 8:06 am

issueman wrote:Safety? Be well aware that there are bad sections still in this construction.

Drove through last night about 8 p.m. Cones knocked down at detours.

Pond section and culvert/walkway section, still very dangerous.

Cones removed on Walker's Hill but no center lines??

Many areas still need concrete barriers.

We will all be glad when this is finished, even if it is two weeks behind schedule!

2 week behind...really? I just got a letter from the MOTI about our driveway issue and they said completed November 30th...that's a month late. The way they have been working so slow...it won't get done this year at all. If it's not by March 31, 2011...they lose federal funding. Now the big push to get it done...you think you've seen shoddy work so far...just wait...when you've got the lowest bidder trying to move fast, all kinds of corners will be cut and then we can pay to fix all the deficiancies...heck...it's already falling apart and it's not done. Wait till frost heaves and spring rain....joy!
Dayleen
Board Meister

Postby dirtguy » Oct 16th, 2010, 12:17 pm

it is almost impossible to keep everyone happy on a job that size,lanes need to shifted daily or more to accomadate the work and i'm sure it is confusing to some.the speed limit through that section should have been knocked down to 30 km but i am willing to bet that mot would not allow that to happen.
dirtguy
Fledgling

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby gleeshie » Oct 16th, 2010, 4:08 pm

All taxpayers beware, its your tax dollars going down the tube once again. Do the job once properly or redo it twice because the contractor has a bad reputation.When will the city get it and stop wasting our MONEY. This company has done crappy work all over Kelowna. Please stop.
gleeshie

Postby 401tk » Oct 18th, 2010, 6:40 am

I have an idea! I think Kelly Hayes should bring his camera up to the section right before the pond and just film the spot where the yellow lines from each direction lead into oncoming traffic. Many times when driving through that section there are no cones even there anymore because people drive right through them because the lines are more visible than the cones. Everybody who drives that section everyday knows what is coming and has it figured out but it is the people who only drive it once in a while that almost drive into oncoming traffic. Especially when the cones are missing. It is only a matter of time before somebody crashes in that section. While Kelly is at it he can look at all the pot holes that have already formed and been repaired. I am pretty sure that another layer of asphalt still has to go down but another 2 inches isn't going to make the compaction problems just go away........
401tk

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby zak97 » Nov 10th, 2010, 5:16 pm

its the Black Mountain sobriety test
zak97
Board Meister

Previous

Return to Kelowna