Pet Stores

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Pet Stores

Post by oneh2obabe »

mexi cali wrote:Seriously, who the :cuss: needs an Iguana n their home? I had a buddy years ago who had this massive cage in the middle of his living room with an Iguana in it. It pretty much just sat there all day not moving. Not much of a life.

Depends on whether you want an iguana. Had one for years and we built a custom 12' x 4' cage for it - wasn't in the living room, was in the what we called the spare room. Had a ramp with a door she could use whenever she wanted to roam the house. Only time the door was closed was a night.

In the spring/summer/fall she would spend 4-6 hours outside. Had an iguana harness that we attached to a 30' lead so she could wander but short enough she couldn't climb the trees. Built a 3-sided enclosure she could rest in at the side of the house with a food station and a small kiddie pool filled with 4-6" of water so she could cool off if she felt like using it.

Neighbours were used to seeing the kids walk the iguana when they decided she needed a change of scenery - amazing how many came out to pet her.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

The article says to either properly screen applicants, or to stop the sale all together. They should definitely be properly screening any person (let alone a minor) who is wanting to purchase any animal (cat, dog, fish or hamster).

Pet stores in town or the SPCA should also think about having database for pet purchases. If people are purchasing a large or unusual quantity of animals, there should be a red flag going up so it can be investigated. (Edit: This already might exist to be honest, I have no idea)
hail Satan y'all
Sparki55
Lord of the Board

Post by Sparki55 »

oneh2obabe wrote:Depends on whether you want an iguana. Had one for years and we built a custom 12' x 4' cage for it - wasn't in the living room, was in the what we called the spare room. Had a ramp with a door she could use whenever she wanted to roam the house. Only time the door was closed was a night.

In the spring/summer/fall she would spend 4-6 hours outside. Had an iguana harness that we attached to a 30' lead so she could wander but short enough she couldn't climb the trees. Built a 3-sided enclosure she could rest in at the side of the house with a food station and a small kiddie pool filled with 4-6" of water so she could cool off if she felt like using it.

Neighbours were used to seeing the kids walk the iguana when they decided she needed a change of scenery - amazing how many came out to pet her.

What ?!?!?! That is awesome I had no idea they could interact with humans that well!

Did she walk well? Visit you in the house? Or mostly kept to herself?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

She'd walk well when she felt like it. If not, she was like a dog ... stop and smell every blade of grass while you patiently waited for her to make up her mind to move. Neighbours knew by her attitude whether they could pet her ... if the tail was swishing back and forth it was "nope, not in the mood - don't touch".

She'd wander the house and would interact with family members. We got her when she was a month old and everybody in the family handled her every day so she'd get used to us. Sometimes she'd climb onto the back of the couch and look around or snooze while we watched TV or she'd stretch out in a corner of the living room until it was time to get back in the cage.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Sparki55 wrote:
oneh2obabe wrote:Depends on whether you want an iguana. Had one for years and we built a custom 12' x 4' cage for it - wasn't in the living room, was in the what we called the spare room. Had a ramp with a door she could use whenever she wanted to roam the house. Only time the door was closed was a night.

What ?!?!?! That is awesome I had no idea they could interact with humans that well!

Did she walk well? Visit you in the house? Or mostly kept to herself?

Great. Now you have a disciple.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

It isn't natural. It seems weird and I had 27 birds at one time.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

bumped up

I hope all the animals on-site are also okay.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... ransformer

No mention of any fire breaking out, just all the chaos can be stressful on animals.
"You've Gotta' Ask Yourself A Question. 'Do I Feel Lucky?' Well Do Ya...PUNK?" Harry Callahan
I don't care whether people like me or dislike me. I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Perhaps do away with electricity.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by normaM »

I thought they just had fish?
You can try and dirty my name, but I'll wear your hate like war paint
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

normaM wrote:I thought they just had fish?
Some Birds as well.
DILLIGAF
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by normaM »

maybe the birdds were trying to bust out :/
You can try and dirty my name, but I'll wear your hate like war paint
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

normaM wrote:I thought they just had fish?
They have birds as was mentioned. Also have different types of lizards, frogs,snakes. Then there are mice, hamsters, gerbils and rats. They also have cats and/or kittens that are adopted out from the pet store through a cat rescue group. I think that’s about it. Maybe your doggie needs a pet lol.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Lore wrote: Maybe your doggie needs a pet lol.
She has one now...named it normaM.
DILLIGAF
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

normaM wrote: I thought they just had fish?
They have birds, lizards, snakes, small rodents and cats (cats are from Alley Cats).
"You've Gotta' Ask Yourself A Question. 'Do I Feel Lucky?' Well Do Ya...PUNK?" Harry Callahan
I don't care whether people like me or dislike me. I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

Bumped Up

New pet food store is coming to Kelowna, it will be in the former location of Petsmart.

It’s Called “Homes Alive Pets”, here is their website. https://www.homesalive.ca/

Return to “The Pet Lounge”