Vaccinations

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.

Re: Vaccinations

Postby CameraShy » Jun 6th, 2011, 3:39 pm

Very true! I guess all I meant was that I have worked for one vet that was so tight he only had one staff member on at a time, doing both reception and technician duties...and when you have to leave a cat/dog that is under anaesthetic because the phone is ringing and the doctor is in a room with a client, that bellows "STAY AWAY"!! I stayed purely for the animals sake, until I broke down and could not handle the immoral stress from it all. Unfortunately it's a big to do to report these guys. If they are busy and you can clearly see lots of staff, yes, I totally agree, that is a great sight to see!

With the vaccines, I have been to many workshops where they actually show you the statistics and studies done, as to how long these vaccines actually last for. That means, they have to have control groups, study groups, etc...and monitor them in a lowest possible variant rate for at least 3yrs to make these claims. I for one believe it, just because I've been there. All I meant was if they are willing to admit that the vaccines last at least 3yrs, even though it would be in their best intrest money wise, to still make only the one year vaccines, then it must be true. I do believe they last even longer, similar to humans. Flu vaccines are of course, a different story altogether.

I just think it's a good idea for people to be able to put down their viewpoints on these forums, at least then if there is a really good or really bad vet out there, we can share it with each other. Especially if you have just moved here, and don't know anyone to ask their opinion. The vet i worked for recently was a real manipulator, he would tell you everything you wanted to hear, but would not back it up with actions, so you didn't know you were being hosed, until you were already hosed!
CameraShy

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Imagination » Jun 8th, 2011, 3:20 am

For anyone who is interested in what some vets are recommending when it comes to vaccinations and titers, I just found this http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... ually.aspx

And here's another one from the same site that is worth reading if you think that just because a mfg says a vaccine has been fully tested, it is (and this particular one is only being pulled off the market now after 4 years of being out there) http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... teeth.aspx

If that doesn't entice you to take a look, here's a quote from that last link:

Over-vaccination can lead to over-stimulation of the immune system, which can lead to a whole host of health problems. A balanced immune system, not one that is either non-responsive or over-reactive, is what your pet needs for optimum health.

There is concern among many veterinary professionals that vaccination is a risk factor for serious autoimmune diseases such as the potentially fatal canine disorder known as autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA).

In addition, delayed vaccine reactions have been shown to cause thyroid disease, allergies, arthritis, tumors and seizures in both cats and dogs. There is also evidence of a connection between feline immunizations and incidents of vaccine-induced sarcomas (a type of cancerous tumor).

Raina likes this post.
Imagination
Board Meister

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby kelofornia » Jun 14th, 2011, 5:37 pm

I was told a number of years ago by a seasoned vet (late 50's early 60's) that yearly boosters were little more than a "cash grab" by most vets, and although it is important to immunize animals before they reach 1 year; boosters are only required every 3-5 years and that determination can be made from what he referred to as a simple blood test done at the yearly exam. He very strongly urged the yearly exam for the sake of well-being of the animal and up-to-date record.

Raina likes this post.
kelofornia
Übergod

Liked in: 15 posts

Postby Queen K » May 24th, 2018, 5:21 pm

BUMP

We just got two cats vaccinated this afternoon.

The third cat? He was on to us. Ran and hid til our time ran out and we had to leave. He declined the party Vet Invitation as it were.

How do these 'lil stinkers "know" anyways?

Well we can't put them all in at the Pet Resort until he gets his shots. And that's another good reason to get kitties their shots, is what if you need to put them somewhere safe in case of emergency or you want to go on a trip. Not everyone will come out and look after them for you. In our case, my mom did and gladly, but she is getting of ill health as of late. So Pet Resort it is.

Now to get him into that damned pet carrier. :swear:
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong. Cash: Your last form of privacy. Use it or lose it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 14712 posts

Postby Queen K » May 25th, 2018, 10:55 am

Okay, so much for weirdness psychic cat.

Last night we had, "MY Routine has been disrupted so I'm hiding."

Patches vanished for an entire night til five minutes ago. We got her back from the Vet and she decided to hide. Not respond to calling, treat bags rattling or anything.

CATS!

:-X :-X
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong. Cash: Your last form of privacy. Use it or lose it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby oldtrucker » May 25th, 2018, 2:19 pm

When I try to envision Queen Ks house...I see cats. Cats hanging from the chandeliers, in cupboards, curled up in soup pots in the kitchen drawers... just everywhere. [icon_lol2.gif] How many cats do you have?
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1136 posts

Postby Queen K » May 25th, 2018, 2:30 pm

Not true!

I always have a limit of three cats. THREE! That's it. But Mozart is trying to adopt us so that'd be Kitty #4. He's a stray, I think. Unless he's like Bpeep, jus' mooching off us for all the free kibble he can get.

Actually for a year and a half we only had one.
Now we are up to three. Unless you count Mozart.

I have strict rules about counters and tables. NO! Chandeliers too. NO! But beds, sofas, cat perches etc, well, okay.

The third cat, Ember, still hasn't gone to the vet. I plan to try that next.

Off to buy Iams.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Fancy » May 25th, 2018, 2:53 pm

Can't imagine Queen K ever being as cat crazy as one house I visited - 25 at least and they were EVERYWHERE. I was scared I was going to step on one. And I can't imagine trying to vaccinate all those kitties (they all looked the same - Himalayans).
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7557 posts

Previous

Return to The Pet Lounge