Black Dog Syndrome

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Black Dog Syndrome

Post by oneh2obabe »

Black Dog Syndrome is a phenomenon that is well known to shelter workers and rescue organizations across the nation. Black dogs are much more difficult to find homes for. They are the last dogs to find homes and often among the first to be euthanized.

Many people that are not involved in dog rescue have a hard time believing that black dogs are so much harder to place than dogs of other colors. Some people think that Black Dog Syndrome doesn't exist at all. Others think that the only reason there are more black dogs in shelters than dogs of other colors is because black is the genetically dominant color for many breeds and Labrador Retrievers are the most popular dog in the U.S. at the moment.

There is some validity to the claim that there are more black dogs in shelters because there are more black dogs in the world. However, this does not explain why it is much harder to find homes for the black dogs than for dogs of other coat colors. Shelters workers and rescue volunteers can quickly and easily tell countless stories of wonderful dogs who were impossible to find homes for because of no reason other than the color of their coat.

There are no hard facts to help explain Black Dog Syndrome, but their are many theories on why black dogs are the last ones to be adopted.

http://www.blackdogrescueproject.com/bl ... drome.html
http://www.blackpearldogs.com/
http://heartlandhumanemo.homestead.com/blackdogs_2.wmv
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APOOs208Oco
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Re: Black Dog Syndrome

Post by motorhomebabe »

My daughter just adopted a black dog from her local SPCA. She had seen it on 2 visits months apart , as they live a town or two from their local SPCA. They were told that the reason she had not been adopted was cause she was black. She is a beautiful dog .Lab German shepard cross. Shaped like a German shepard ,but black. That was the first time I ever heard of this, but if you think about superstions and black cats, not suprising.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

:smt023 to your daughter. Unfortunately a lot of people look at the colour of fur and decide the dog/cat isn't for them or can't be trusted because it's black. Difference between a chocolate, black or yellow lab? Nothing except the colour of fur - all are goofballs.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

One reason might be because when a black dog sheds the hair is more noticeable.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Makes it easier to see when cleaning.

Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

We have a black and white dog from the SPCA so we 1/2 helped. :P

Our last foster dog was black and he was homed successfully. Mind you he was the sweetest thing ever, so it wasn't going to be hard to find him a home.

The black dog syndrome also exists for cats. One of the cats we adopted (who was black) from the SPCA had been there for 180 days. Our current kitty was there for 402 days.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

When we were choosing our puppy we didn't want a black dog because it was so common. Sure enough the cutest little boy ever kept following us around and sitting on our feet so we took him home. I love my big, scary black dog.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
djbout
Fledgling

Post by djbout »

3 Black dogs in my family/extended family, none of them purchased from a breeder or pet shop. They all came to us in round about ways, so I like to think that we saved them from being put into the "system".
crysmom

Post by crysmom »

we had a large black lab, and he was the sweetest guy (he has passed away now) but people were afraid of him because he was big and black I think it accentuated his teeth
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Bsuds wrote:One reason might be because when a black dog sheds the hair is more noticeable.

Not so here, we have dark furniture and an almost all white dog, it's like a snowstorm in the house year round (we have a really good vacuum :dyinglaughing: )!
Most of our pets have been "second hand", can't say we've ever had a black one.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

We had a black dog. Border Collie/Lab cross.

Black cats also get the same rap. We are on our second black cat.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

I have had 4 black dogs in my life time, a Black lab when I was a kid, a black lab/dobermine, my little black boxer terrior and now my Black Russian terrior,,, all good dogs and yes they did shed but black hair doesnt always show up on clothes as much as my cat's white hair,,, and he is orange,,, mostly.
Have had other dogs of mixed colors with black in them. I heard black cats have a problem finding homes due to superstitions but never heard this about dogs.
Funny thing is when we were at the SPCA looking for a dog, none were black and I prefer them black if possible because their hair doesnt show up as bad. Only one had shades of black mixed in.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post

Return to “The Pet Lounge”