I would like a weigh-in about dog food

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.

Re: I would like a weigh-in about dog food

Postby MalaPropina » Sep 12th, 2018, 1:16 am

GordonH wrote:Bumped
Be good to your pets check out food you feed to them.

Absolutely. just like the food you buy for yourself, always read labels and know where its coming from. I look for food made and single sourced in Canada when possible. There are even a few brands made right here in BC. I research before buying a brand of food and learn about the company, past recalls etc. Quality food can save you money in the long run as many food brands are high in gran and fat leading to unhealthy and obese pets that develop health issues. Spend the extra money and take the extra time early on to save money and suffering later on.

GordonH likes this post.
MalaPropina
Fledgling

Liked in: 348 posts

Postby Sige » Sep 12th, 2018, 9:41 am

We've done extensive research on dog food and have found that the expensive "name brand" is not the best for your dog. Do your research folks!
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Sige
Übergod

Liked in: 757 posts

Postby GordonH » Sep 12th, 2018, 10:25 am

Sige wrote:We've done extensive research on dog food and have found that the expensive "name brand" is not the best for your dog. Do your research folks!

That also goes for any made by the following companies:
Mars
Purina
Hill's
etc... etc
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8922 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby DanielleCF » Jan 8th, 2019, 3:05 pm

Amarow121 wrote:We switched to Acana 2 years ago and we really like it. Our dogs and cat enjoy it and never leave a crumbly behind! I like that it smells good, and I like that it's made in Alberta.

Prior to that I'd just buy whatever was on sale at the grocery store. Dog didn't seem to mind so I figured it was okay. Decided to switch to Acana after someone recommended it to us.

Keep in mind Acana is high in protein which caused 1 of my dogs to continually get bladder infections.
DanielleCF

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Jlabute » Jan 8th, 2019, 3:24 pm

I don’t do royal canine any longer because as you found out, too many fillers. I give my bischon shitsu dry and wet food. I started to avoid chicken since some dogs seem to have an allergic reaction to it. Been using performtrin ultra for the dry food. Recently been buying from Bosleys in the mission mall. They can give you good advice.
Justin Trudeau? NO! Trust in Judo!
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1701 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 8th, 2019, 5:22 pm

Jlabute wrote:I don’t do royal canine any longer because as you found out, too many fillers. I give my bischon shitsu dry and wet food. I started to avoid chicken since some dogs seem to have an allergic reaction to it. Been using performtrin ultra for the dry food. Recently been buying from Bosleys in the mission mall. They can give you good advice.

It would be interesting to know if Pet Valu (owns Bosleys) as well Petsmart actually have manufacturing facilities to make their store products (dog & cat food), or do they outsource from pet food maker.
If so who, hopefully not one of those major grocery brand makers.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby Fancy » Jan 8th, 2019, 8:54 pm

Does no one consider a raw diet for their dog?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

2 people like this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7596 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 8th, 2019, 8:58 pm

Fancy wrote:Does no one consider a raw diet for their dog?

If I had a dog I would be very interested in this option. :up:

My childhood dog lived good long life (22 years) on a farm raised version of this.
Added: Vet came to farm regularly, dog never needed to be seen by him.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby TreeGuy » Jan 8th, 2019, 10:14 pm

Our 7 year old Labradoodle has been on it since a pup.

We currently feed her Pets Go Raw turkey full meal. Ground turkey, fruits and vegetables and bone ground in. Comes in a frozen puck. Costs about $80/month.

Her teeth are bright white. My parents kibble fed dog of the same age has already needed dental work.

She doesn’t get nasty dog breath. Her poops don’t stink as bad as kibble fed and they crumble and break down easily.

Just had her at the vet for a check up and to have a cyst removed. The vet seemed impressed with her overall health.

GordonH likes this post.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3647 posts

Postby tarabryan77 » Mar 11th, 2019, 2:13 am

Good job on doing some research. The pet food industry is a sad state of affairs...These companies only have to list their ingredients..not the ingredients they outsourced. Yes it's true. There are 27 carcinogens illegal for human consumption that are commonly found in dog food. Please look into switching tho the raw diet...All dogs come from wolves... When's the last time you heard of a wild eating bread, or corn or....Do some research on the subject. You'll thank me, your dog will Love you, and be WAY healthier, with fewer vet visits

2 people like this post.
tarabryan77

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby maple leaf » Mar 11th, 2019, 2:05 pm

When I adopted my guy from the SPCA he came with a bag of science diet. He had diarrhoea until I tossed it and gave him Blue and has been happy healthy since.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
― Albert Einstein

Liked in: 497 posts

Postby GordonH » Mar 11th, 2019, 2:24 pm

maple leaf wrote:When I adopted my guy from the SPCA he came with a bag of science diet. He had diarrhoea until I tossed it and gave him Blue and has been happy healthy since.

I've looked into who actually owns some of dog food sold, I was very surprised on number of brands.
Few of examples:
After Dick Van Patten passed away the family sold Natural Balance to Smuckers, couple years ago Blue was boughtout by General Mills.
Nestlé Purina they own numerous ones, including Castor & Pollux as well Merrick.

Oh yes the owners of Hills Science Diet thats Colgate-Palmolive
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby dogspoiler » Mar 18th, 2019, 4:56 pm

My pup is 5.5 months old. I feed him Performatrin Ultra from Bosleys. Today he weighed 82 lbs.
I cast my pearls before swine
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2857 posts

Postby GordonH » Mar 18th, 2019, 5:18 pm

dogspoiler wrote:My pup is 5.5 months old. I feed him Performatrin Ultra from Bosleys. Today he weighed 82 lbs.

Pet Valu, Petsmart & Petco (Petco only in US). They all have their own brands of dog & cat food.
Hard part is trying to find out if they actually manufacture or outsource it, if the latter then by who.
Of course they are not about to admit to anything.

If anyone reading this can point me in direction of pet food manufacturing plant owned by anyone I mentioned. It would be greatly appreciated.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby Bsuds » Mar 18th, 2019, 6:42 pm

dogspoiler wrote:My pup is 5.5 months old. I feed him Performatrin Ultra from Bosleys. Today he weighed 82 lbs.

That's not a dog that's a Pony. :D
I don't know how many cookies it takes to be happy, but so far it's not 2 dozen!

dogspoiler likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 12785 posts

PreviousNext

Return to The Pet Lounge