I would like a weigh-in about dog food

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.

Re: I would like a weigh-in about dog food

Postby oneh2obabe » Mar 18th, 2019, 6:52 pm

3 manufacturing plants in the USA - ships premium and store brands to over 19 countries.

American Nutrition is a custom manufacturer of consumables with the formulation expertise, marketplace intelligence and turnkey production capabilities to serve leading retailers and pet food brand owners looking for best-in-class products, facilities and support.

As a pioneer in high-quality pet food and a family-owned company, American Nutrition has long believed in “doing it better.” This straightforward philosophy has been at the heart of everything we’ve done since Jack Behnken founded American Nutrition in 1972. Today, we continue to focus on innovative, nutritious and delicious products that surpass even the strictest AAFCO and FDA requirements, offering clients everything from advanced nutritional science and exceptional production to branding and distribution.

https://www.animanufacturing.com/exports/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 7458 posts

Postby dogspoiler » May 12th, 2019, 7:36 pm

My 7.5 M/O puppy weighs 102 lbs right now, he eats Boselys grain free large breed puppy chow. It seems to be working, but it is costing around $50 a week.
I cast my pearls before swine
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2812 posts

Postby Fancy » May 12th, 2019, 7:44 pm

In March he weighed 82 pounds - going raw might be an option. What kind of dog do you have? I love love love all dogs.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7571 posts

Postby dogspoiler » May 12th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Brazilian, English, Italian, French Mastiff cross. Some of the breeds have several different names.
The vet thinks he should stabilize at 150 but could go to 180.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Postby Fancy » May 16th, 2019, 12:36 pm

You'll need a good towel - one that really absorbs lol (for those face washings).
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7571 posts

Postby Jlabute » May 25th, 2019, 2:24 pm

Then you get things like this in the news. Perhaps some raw food risks are over-exaggerated?

https://globalnews.ca/news/3961882/dont-feed-your-pet-raw-meat-foods-its-dangerous-for-both-pets-and-humans-experts-warn/
Justin Trudeau? NO! Trust in Judo!
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1670 posts

Postby dogspoiler » Jun 23rd, 2019, 6:41 pm

My little puppy is now 120 lbs at 9 months.

Queen K likes this post.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Postby GordonH » Jul 8th, 2019, 1:44 pm

Bumped

https://www.castanet.net/news/Business/ ... dog-deaths
https://globalnews.ca/news/5460287/dog- ... sease-fda/

I wonder if this could be blown out of portion & causing pet owners more problems then it really should be.

Pet owners should dig deeper into this before stopping their current food.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8821 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby mexi cali » Jul 8th, 2019, 2:37 pm

Like so many dog owners, I used to buy whatever at the grocery store in bags. I figured that if it said dog food on the bag, how bad could it be?

Fast forward and my buddy (shiatzu/poodle, had him from birth) is getting on and his health doesn't feel right so I look at his diet. Our vet prescribed royal Canin for him and I naturally figured this was OK but his symptoms worsened and then I did my research into the dog food industry.

Horrified is the best way to describe it. The fillers and the byproducts all amounted to *bleep*. In virtually all of them although some at least tried to get closer to an actual palatable, nutritious product.

So why would a vet prescribe a food that was so low down on the list of "quality" dog foods? Because they pay him too. Simple. He promotes their product and he gets paid.

So by now, my little guy is around 11 and he is OK but not great. Cataracts starting to form and fur a little dull. Loose poops yada yada yada.

I decide to start making his food from all natural human food. Chicken, beef, pork, potato, some rice (eventually cut that out) bright peppers, tomatos and even cucumber (no real nutritional value but he liked them).

Did the meat and pototatos (sweet) in big batches. Mixed in rice and portioned off and frozen. Once heated to serve, I would add cut up veggies (above) and serve.

It took a couple months but his fur softened and glistened again. His energy level went way up and his cataracts reversed to where he could see much more clearly.

His confidence was back and he would play with other dogs.

I tweaked it a bit by adding lutein powder (eyes) and fish oil (skin and fur) and started him on a daily probiotic which changed his whole elimination cycle and produced proper waste.

He lived until he was about 15 1/2 and there are two things that I am positive about 1) his quality of life was greatly enhanced and 2) Had I stuck with the conventional food that I started him on, he would have died much sooner.

I since have brought another little one home and she has the benefit of this same diet so I believe that she will live a longer, happier life because of improved health.

PS. We eventually changed our vet and when we took my little buddy to his new vet for the first time, The vet, not knowing how old he was took a guess and thought he was 8 or 9 and was amazed to find out he was 14.

We absolutely swear by it and I would highly recommend this to anyone who loves their pets. The cost difference is negligible and the time it takes to prepare a months worth at a time is maybe 2-3 hours, most of which is watching potatos (sweet) boil.

To Fancy who asked a great question about natural, raw food. I tried raw meat and veggies (still got those) with him and another dog and for whatever reason, it played havoc with their tummies. I agree that it should be the most effective way to go but for us, it didn't work out well.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

3 people like this post.
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 4154 posts

Postby GordonH » Jul 8th, 2019, 3:53 pm

mexi cali wrote:Like so many dog owners, I used to buy whatever at the grocery store in bags. I figured that if it said dog food on the bag, how bad could it be?

Fast forward and my buddy (shiatzu/poodle, had him from birth) is getting on and his health doesn't feel right so I look at his diet. Our vet prescribed royal Canin for him and I naturally figured this was OK but his symptoms worsened and then I did my research into the dog food industry.

Horrified is the best way to describe it. The fillers and the byproducts all amounted to *bleep*. In virtually all of them although some at least tried to get closer to an actual palatable, nutritious product.

So why would a vet prescribe a food that was so low down on the list of "quality" dog foods? Because they pay him too. Simple. He promotes their product and he gets paid.

So by now, my little guy is around 11 and he is OK but not great. Cataracts starting to form and fur a little dull. Loose poops yada yada yada.

I decide to start making his food from all natural human food. Chicken, beef, pork, potato, some rice (eventually cut that out) bright peppers, tomatos and even cucumber (no real nutritional value but he liked them).

Did the meat and pototatos (sweet) in big batches. Mixed in rice and portioned off and frozen. Once heated to serve, I would add cut up veggies (above) and serve.

It took a couple months but his fur softened and glistened again. His energy level went way up and his cataracts reversed to where he could see much more clearly.

His confidence was back and he would play with other dogs.

I tweaked it a bit by adding lutein powder (eyes) and fish oil (skin and fur) and started him on a daily probiotic which changed his whole elimination cycle and produced proper waste.

He lived until he was about 15 1/2 and there are two things that I am positive about 1) his quality of life was greatly enhanced and 2) Had I stuck with the conventional food that I started him on, he would have died much sooner.

I since have brought another little one home and she has the benefit of this same diet so I believe that she will live a longer, happier life because of improved health.

PS. We eventually changed our vet and when we took my little buddy to his new vet for the first time, The vet, not knowing how old he was took a guess and thought he was 8 or 9 and was amazed to find out he was 14.

We absolutely swear by it and I would highly recommend this to anyone who loves their pets. The cost difference is negligible and the time it takes to prepare a months worth at a time is maybe 2-3 hours, most of which is watching potatos (sweet) boil.

To Fancy who asked a great question about natural, raw food. I tried raw meat and veggies (still got those) with him and another dog and for whatever reason, it played havoc with their tummies. I agree that it should be the most effective way to go but for us, it didn't work out well.

Totally agree, our dogs on the farm lived to there late teens to early twenties. Absolutely no store dog food
When Vet came to look at the cattle he/she look at the dogs, never any actual health issues.
Yes, it means taking the time to make their food from scratch.
We did the similar with the cattle i.e hay bails, grains & silage
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence

ferri likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8821 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Previous

Return to The Pet Lounge