Lorikeet

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
Jlabute
Guru

Lorikeet

Post by Jlabute »

Hi Everyone.
Just curious if anyone has had a Lorikeet as a pet and how it would differ from say a larger medium sized parrot. I have a chance to buy one from a breeder.
Thanks
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
mexi cali
Guru

Re: Lorikeet

Post by mexi cali »

My recollection is that they are smaller varieties but similar in looks to larger parrots. I had a Monk Parrot that was considered a lorikeet and he was great.

I miss having birds but be warned, they are messy and can be very noisy but they are beautiful, smart and affectionate if treated properly.
Last edited by mexi cali on Apr 12th, 2018, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

mexi cali wrote:
I miss having birds but be warned, they are messy and can be very noisy but they are beautiful, smart and affectionate if treated properly.

So just like having a wife/girlfriend! [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Awww, a Quaker (aka Monk). They are good talkers from what I hear. I had a goffin cockatoo and I understand spending hours every day, without missing a beat, for decades. A lorikeet is smaller than a cockatoo and has very different and specific nutritional needs, eating mostly nectar rather than seeds. Lorikeets are messier too since they need daily baths, and squirt poop I heard (liquids in, liquids out). I’d like to get a handle on how difficult they are to care for compared to larger parrots.
Birds are so loving. When my cockatoo died, I was devastated. They are literally like girlfriends, and faithful ;-)
So why just miss it when you can care for one? Is something stopping you?

4101C072-5BB7-4007-9FAE-9EA6CF0D9A45.jpeg
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

My wife.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

At one time, I had a dozen birds of varying varieties. The Monk, a lovebird, mating cockatiels, budgies, a moluccan cockatoo and an umbrella cockatoo, doves and finches and canaries. And this was all at the same time.

A menagerie as it were.

All very unique and all enjoyable.

Hinestly, living in a condo isn't conducive to birds who can be noisy and all of them are messy. But I loved them all.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Quite an amazing flock you had. Were you breeding them? I’m sure you miss them. There are fewer breeders today I heard from a Victoria breeder. Pet stores rarely carry larger birds any longer and I suppose birds are not as popular as they once were, or people are wising up to the amount of effort involved. You had cockatoos so you know all about noise. Any other bird is practically silent in comparison, lol. I only know of two in Canada breeding lorikeets.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I have a baby on the way. A yellow bibbed lorikeet.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

AWWWWWW, throwing a bird baby shower?

So happy for you. Lucky birdie, will be showered with love. Post pix of her? :biggrin:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Ok, here we go, a baby picture, lol.
I'll know soon if he is a she, or she is a he :-)

ybl001.png
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

ooohhh you get to get to baby photos right away. Will so cute when the colours on the feathers develop. Will be a spoiled rotten birdie by you I'll bet. :D
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Another month or so to go before feathers are prominent. If you look up Yellow Bibbed Lorikeet, you will see what she will look like :-) Fully grown is about 33cm.

ybl.png
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

All I can say is WOW ! Ain't Nature grand?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Next baby picture. I went to Victoria this weekend and visit the little baby. He or she is beginning to get some feathers. All she does is eat and sleep at this time. She’s getting squeaky and will soon be talking. The breeder also had an almost featherless African Gray close to 60yo, a whack of Lorikeets, and other birds. Had a good vacation.

8D1D0015-1C4B-4EDE-BC02-A239C29AF7A9.jpeg
Last edited by Jlabute on May 28th, 2018, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

awwww, thought you were a bit quiet.

You're looking forward to you baby! Wow, nice colours, you will be so happy to teach it how to talk.

First words will be?

Return to “The Pet Lounge”