Lorikeet

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.

Re: Lorikeet

Postby Jlabute » May 28th, 2018, 9:52 am

Yes ma'am, 'er Queeniekins ;-) I was gone for a short bit, had a short vacation on the island. Went to see Butchart Gardens, Miniature World, and other sights and sounds. T'was fun. So since I was there, I went to go visit my new baby. lol.
Justin Trudeau? NO! Trust in Judo!
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1430 posts

Postby Queen K » May 28th, 2018, 10:19 am

You lucky bum, I love Vancouver Island! I rather suspect you went to see the new baby birdie and threw in all the tourist attractions as an aside. We expect photos of birdie growing up now! :130:
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.

Jlabute likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 14155 posts

Postby Jlabute » Jul 13th, 2018, 10:38 am

Here she is. Delivered this past Tuesday :-)

ruby_2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

3 people like this post.
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Queen K » Jul 13th, 2018, 11:05 am

OH she's beautiful! I'll bet you have lots of fun keeping her/him happy in the new home.

What will be the first word she learns?
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 14155 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jul 13th, 2018, 3:19 pm

A friend has a Goffins cockatoo(?). It's so loud that you can hear it scream three blocks away even though it's inside. It's filthy ,and so noisy - I hate it. She has a Senegal that she wants rid of. Any takers?
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
oldtrucker
Übergod

Liked in: 907 posts

Postby Jlabute » Jul 13th, 2018, 7:17 pm

Goffins are definitely noisey. Like a jumbo jet taking off. They like more attention than you can give. If I had known just a few weeks ago I would had been interested in the Senegal. Worst case, parrot island would take an unwanted bird. I adopted a goffin from them. The bigger birds have a lot of personality, and are very smart.
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby oldtrucker » Jul 18th, 2018, 1:58 pm

Jlabute wrote:Goffins are definitely noisey. Like a jumbo jet taking off. They like more attention than you can give. If I had known just a few weeks ago I would had been interested in the Senegal. Worst case, parrot island would take an unwanted bird. I adopted a goffin from them. The bigger birds have a lot of personality, and are very smart.

Yup. This cockatoo she has...you can acually see it planning, figuring things out -very smart, probably at a human 2-3 year old level. It's figured out every latch and lock put before it...it tries to use objects as tools as well.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.

Jlabute likes this post.
oldtrucker
Übergod

Postby Jlabute » Jul 19th, 2018, 11:08 am

Queen K wrote:OH she's beautiful! I'll bet you have lots of fun keeping her/him happy in the new home.

What will be the first word she learns?

Who knows what she will pick up on ;-) maybe something like "Get me a beer". Maybe something like "I Love You ______" - put in name of 'ex'. lol. If I am lucky she will say something in her lifetime. I can tell from the range of tones she can make that there is the ability to imitate about anything.
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Jlabute » Sep 19th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Here is Ruby (original name) and suggested name (Ruban) seeing she is actually a boy. 'Ruban' is now 5 months old, hatched April 11. Here he is standing on top of his nectar container.

ruban-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2 people like this post.
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby just popping in » Sep 19th, 2018, 7:06 pm

Ruban is so handsome.

Jlabute likes this post.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 497 posts

Postby Catsumi » Sep 19th, 2018, 7:32 pm

And he knows it too. Just admire that orange beak will you? Looks like it was waxed and polished.
Make the Cdn wet dream come true. Vote MAD MAX

Like a plague, JT must go!

Jlabute likes this post.
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3717 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Sep 19th, 2018, 8:31 pm

just popping in wrote:Ruban is so handsome.

Right up to the part when it starts puking on you because it decided it loves you.

Jlabute likes this post.
oldtrucker
Übergod

Postby Jlabute » Sep 19th, 2018, 11:19 pm

Lorikeets are a special breed. They have a long tongue with a brush on the end for eating nectars. Even more special, while hanging upside down in their cage, they can squirt poop almost 4 feet away... a side effect of a wet nectar diet. Ruban growls like a dog as we wrestle. He’s a lot of fun.

2 people like this post.
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Catsumi » Sep 20th, 2018, 11:23 am

Hmmmm....the long squirt might come in useful for hurrying unwanted visitors on their way.

Will you rent him out for short visits? [icon_lol2.gif] Surely do appreciate such a colorful and engaging pet.

Added. Can you keep us up to date on his newest antics?
Make the Cdn wet dream come true. Vote MAD MAX

Like a plague, JT must go!

Jlabute likes this post.
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3717 posts

Postby Jlabute » Jan 2nd, 2019, 9:35 am

Ruban is now talking! Quite clearly he is able to say “come here”, and “I got you”. I think he does the phone and a few other household noises. He’s getting louder, and likes plastic containers as toys. He walks into a 1 liter tapered plastic container and talks endlessly as the sounds echo from within. He has a deep laugh too, like Mua ha ha ha. Sounds creepy from the container. Hatched April 11 so quite a quick learner.

2 people like this post.
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

PreviousNext

Return to The Pet Lounge