Lorikeet

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Lorikeet

Post by Jlabute »

Yes ma'am, 'er Queeniekins ;-) I was gone for a short bit, had a short vacation on the island. Went to see Butchart Gardens, Miniature World, and other sights and sounds. T'was fun. So since I was there, I went to go visit my new baby. lol.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You lucky bum, I love Vancouver Island! I rather suspect you went to see the new baby birdie and threw in all the tourist attractions as an aside. We expect photos of birdie growing up now! :130:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Here she is. Delivered this past Tuesday :-)

Ruby - If she's a girl
Ruby - If she's a girl
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

OH she's beautiful! I'll bet you have lots of fun keeping her/him happy in the new home.

What will be the first word she learns?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Goffins are definitely noisey. Like a jumbo jet taking off. They like more attention than you can give. If I had known just a few weeks ago I would had been interested in the Senegal. Worst case, parrot island would take an unwanted bird. I adopted a goffin from them. The bigger birds have a lot of personality, and are very smart.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Queen K wrote:OH she's beautiful! I'll bet you have lots of fun keeping her/him happy in the new home.

What will be the first word she learns?

Who knows what she will pick up on ;-) maybe something like "Get me a beer". Maybe something like "I Love You ______" - put in name of 'ex'. lol. If I am lucky she will say something in her lifetime. I can tell from the range of tones she can make that there is the ability to imitate about anything.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Here is Ruby (original name) and suggested name (Ruban) seeing she is actually a boy. 'Ruban' is now 5 months old, hatched April 11. Here he is standing on top of his nectar container.

ruban-1.jpg
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Ruban is so handsome.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

And he knows it too. Just admire that orange beak will you? Looks like it was waxed and polished.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Lorikeets are a special breed. They have a long tongue with a brush on the end for eating nectars. Even more special, while hanging upside down in their cage, they can squirt poop almost 4 feet away... a side effect of a wet nectar diet. Ruban growls like a dog as we wrestle. He’s a lot of fun.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Hmmmm....the long squirt might come in useful for hurrying unwanted visitors on their way.

Will you rent him out for short visits? [icon_lol2.gif] Surely do appreciate such a colorful and engaging pet.

Added. Can you keep us up to date on his newest antics?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Ruban is now talking! Quite clearly he is able to say “come here”, and “I got you”. I think he does the phone and a few other household noises. He’s getting louder, and likes plastic containers as toys. He walks into a 1 liter tapered plastic container and talks endlessly as the sounds echo from within. He has a deep laugh too, like Mua ha ha ha. Sounds creepy from the container. Hatched April 11 so quite a quick learner.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

About time you reported on Ruban. I feared to inquire in case the story turned bleak.

Glad he's talking. Can you do a video, just for us?

Unknown
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I will try to do a video. Cameras and phones usually distract him but I’ll see what I can do. lol. Anytime I try a closeup phone selfie he jumps on the phone and doesn’t leave it alone.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

He is destined to be a film critic. :biggrin:

Unknown

Return to “The Pet Lounge”