Help them,and they will remember you.

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.

Help them,and they will remember you.

Postby oldtrucker » May 2nd, 2018, 12:28 pm

In 2007, a baby crow ended up in my yard that was rejected or whatever happened by its mother. I named him "Crowey" ( super original ). When he was old enough, I let him fly away and I hoped for the best. I didn't know if he was alive or dead until a few days later, he returned and he continued to visit and/ or follow me off and on for a few years after. I could tell it was him from his voice as I busted his squawker once when I was feeding him as a baby. He had a unique squawk after that.

In 2011 a pair of ducks showed up on my doorstep, one with a busted foot and the other with a injured wing. I named them "Quacky and Quacker" (super original). I fed/helped them and let them hang out at my place and after they were healthy, they left.Now they return at the same time of year ,every year, and hang at my place for about 3 to 6 weeks. When they first show up in the spring, they are very vocal, chattering away and telling me about their 'duck day' or year.

In 2013, I ended up saving a bat that got into trouble. I think I named him 'Radar'. He wasn't with me for very long -less than a week, but it remembered, and it visited every night for a month until I left the area I was in at the time.

The pet turtle (name-Wrinkles) comes for a visit once in a while but doesn't say much. There is a slightly smaller one around called "Speed". I don't have a pic of him...he's to fast.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.

11 people like this post.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1104 posts

Re: Help them,and they will remember you.

Postby sobrohusfat » May 3rd, 2018, 6:39 pm

named him "Crowey" ( super original )
named them "Quacky and Quacker" (super original)

There's a random black kitty that comes around

let her spend a cold winter night indoors when she came around looking beat-up

still comes around and hangs-out here with our critters when she feels like it (& overnight sometimes in winter)

named her Black-Kitty (super original)

that was up until that unfortunate black kitty sleeping on black computer desk chair in dark room incident

calling her Black-Squishy now

she sure made a odd sound when i sat on her

black squishy.jpg

freaked me out

she's fine

still loves me

just wont go near that chair now tho
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MAY THE BRIDGES I BURN LIGHT THE WAY

3 people like this post.
sobrohusfat
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2191 posts

Postby vegas1500 » May 3rd, 2018, 7:57 pm

OP, much respect.....nothing greater than helping an injured animal.

2 people like this post.
vegas1500
Übergod

Liked in: 2015 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Mar 28th, 2019, 3:26 pm

When this guy showed up in mid winter he wasn't doing so well and he needed a place to stay. Chunk of meat once in a while got him through, and now I have a rat and mice killing machine living under my deck.

I call him Winston the Weasel.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.

10 people like this post.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Rider59 » Mar 28th, 2019, 3:32 pm

oldtrucker wrote:When this guy showed up in mid winter her wasn't doing so well and he needed a place to stay. Chunk of meat once in a while got him through, and now I have a rat and mice killing machine living under my deck.

I call him Winston the Weasel.

Anyone that abuses animals should be made into pet food.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 764 posts

Postby Bsuds » Mar 28th, 2019, 4:54 pm

Can I rent him to get some of ours?
I could wake up early tomorrow and go running, or I could win the lottery...the odds are about the same.

2 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 12390 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Mar 29th, 2019, 12:52 pm

Bsuds wrote:Can I rent him to get some of ours?

$1000 deposit and $100 day work?
He(her whatever) won't be around muck longer I don't think. I put some fish out for him last night but I don't think he likes it as it wasn't touched this morning. That tells me he's nailed most of the mice and rats because nothing came by and took the fish.
He is so small...I try to take a picture of him but he won't stand still for more than 3 seconds and when I do take a pic he ends up being a little dot...I have a lousy camera.

Bsuds likes this post.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Catsumi » Mar 31st, 2019, 7:54 am

Has Winston turned up? Maybe set out a piece of steak rather than fish?
J.T.--riddled with scandal, corruption, overspending. Thinks Japan is China.

Make the Cdn wet dream come true. Vote MAD MAX
Catsumi

Liked in: 4824 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Apr 1st, 2019, 1:03 am

Catsumi wrote:Has Winston turned up? Maybe set out a piece of steak rather than fish?

I haven't seen him in days, but I can hear him at night in my attic. Easy to tell between him and rats/mice...he doesn't chew and scratch like rats / mice. I can hear him hopping around hop,hop,hop...then still for 3 seconds.hop hop....hop. Still for another 3 seconds.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby oldtrucker » Apr 4th, 2019, 3:20 pm

I think Winston is gone. I saw a mouse run into where he comes in and out under the deck. Maybe he got nailed by one of the owls that hangs out here. I also found a small pile brown and white fur.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Catsumi » Apr 4th, 2019, 9:04 pm

This is sad news indeed. I hope you are wrong and Winston turns up again. If so, you must watch over him with a keener eye.

Catsumi

Postby oldtrucker » Apr 4th, 2019, 9:50 pm

Someone else who has had the experience.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/lif ... imber-wolf—4-years-later-the-wolf-still-remembered-him/ss-BBVjAQV?ocid=spartandhp
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby oldtrucker » Apr 18th, 2019, 8:21 pm

Sorry for the quality of the pic, but Winston is very hard to photograph.
Winston didn't leave! I wasn't sure as I have not seen any rats or him.
I heard some crashing outside, and when I went out here is this dead quail on my deck and Mr. Winston trying to drag it into his under deck lair.

2 people like this post.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby oldtrucker » Jun 5th, 2019, 3:27 pm

I never know what animal the universe will gift me to look after next.
This spring- a baby robin. Mom is dead I think. When they grow up(if it lives), it will come back and visit, hang out, digging worms in the garden right beside whoever raised it. It will remember.
Robbie the Robin.

3 people like this post.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Catsumi » Jun 5th, 2019, 5:44 pm

Are you feeding little Robbie? Chopped up, semi-pre-digested worms (no, not run over by a semi truck) are favored food. Don't cheat by swallowing the juiciest for yourself, OT. I check regularly and expect the weight loss diet to tell the tale when you're stepping on the bathroom scales.

Don't know if it's my imagination but seems to be fewer robins every year while seeing sharp increases in doves, crows, starlings and magpies.

Time to feed Robbie. Nudge, nudge.

Catsumi

Next

Return to The Pet Lounge