Trupanion Pet Insurance

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.

Re: Trupanion Pet Insurance

Postby Lore » Jan 12th, 2019, 9:27 am

Jlabute wrote:^^ That is so sad. Everyone has a different limit depending on what the problem is. The majority of pets have issues at some time in their life and people should be educated that such expenses will happen. My bird was at tri-lake intensive care for a week with no improvement, getting worse from a condition that is normally fatal, 0.1% chance of a good outcome. Suffering in a strange place. Getting daily calls that her condition is getting worse, I brought her home, cuddled her, and she passed away within a day. $3000 for 6 days.

Is there coverage for birds/exotics in Canada? I didn't think twice of spending that money even though I can't afford it.

https://www.pcinsurance.ca/m/english/pet-insurance/pet/?open=coverage

I just sent these guys an e-mail to see if they cover exotics.

I would of thought that any pet ins co would cover exotics because its a pet.
Did you have other ins co's tell you they would not cover your bird?
Let me know when you get an answer from them please.
Lore
Übergod

Liked in: 319 posts

Postby Jlabute » Jan 14th, 2019, 9:51 am

Just FYI on pet insurance for birds, lizards, guinea pigs or what-ever you may have that doesn't meow or bark. (actually my bird says Meeoooow now)

"Thank you for e-mail. We appreciate your interest in PC Pet Insurance!

As of October 12, 2017, PC Financial stepped away from the pet health insurance industry. Please be advised that at this time there is no pet insurance companies available in Canada for exotic pets. Pet insurance is only available for Cats and Dogs. We apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused!"
Justin Trudeau? NO! Trust in Judo!
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1642 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jan 15th, 2019, 12:12 pm

There's a business opportunity for someone.
I could wake up early tomorrow and go running, or I could win the lottery...the odds are about the same.

Lore likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 12421 posts

Postby Lore » Jan 15th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Just got an email from petsecure who I deal with and
they only ins cats and dogs also.
I wonder if its because there are not to
many vets that care for exotics.
Lore
Übergod

Liked in: 319 posts

Postby Jlabute » Jan 15th, 2019, 1:41 pm

In the USA, few places offer insurance for exotics. Not sure if you pay more for birds. The insurers like to know whether or not your pet is a dog or cat so likely there are differences in their requirements and costs. Not sure why a bird would be so much more expensive or un-insurable, other than so few vets have expertise with them. Perhaps it is too hard to determine if there are pre-existing medical conditions or maybe exotics require a wider variety of equipment... who knows. I had a vet look at my bird once and I must admit many are near useless when it comes to exotics even if they say they work with exotics.
Justin Trudeau? NO! Trust in Judo!
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1642 posts

Previous

Return to The Pet Lounge