On leash dog areas

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.

On leash dog areas

Postby maple leaf » Dec 1st, 2018, 1:40 pm

I rescued a 9-year-old dog from the SPCA with limited knowledge about its history except to be told he doesn't like large dogs and wants to attack and fight with them. No reason provided or I know off for him being like this. So I am not able to take him to off-leash dog parks where larger dogs may also be and thereby restricted to where I can go for walks and have been walking in areas that allow dogs but must be on a leash which is fine with me and I can control his environment and avoid being near larger dogs and do. My problem is with other dog owners who use on leash areas but ignore the must be leashed part. I have had people say as their dog who I have purposely avoided runs up to mine and is leashed it's ok he is friendly. That might be all good and well but running up to mine is to mine a threat and sparks a defensive reaction and will fight the other friendly dog. So far the situation has not gotten out of hand but someday somebodies dog is going to be hurt and it won't be me footing the vet bills. So I am asking people to not let their friendly dog run free in an ON leash dog area. I take pictures.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
― Albert Einstein

3 people like this post.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 496 posts

Re: On leash dog areas

Postby vegas1500 » Dec 1st, 2018, 5:01 pm

agree 100%........I have 2 dogs and they are leashed all the time. I dont let them got to any other dogs without asking the owner first.

And good on you for rescuing an older dog! :130:

2 people like this post.
vegas1500
Übergod

Liked in: 2015 posts

Postby ifwisheswerehorses » Dec 1st, 2018, 5:12 pm

To be 100% sure muzzle your dog when on walks. It sucks since you are doing what your supposed to and others are not but that's really the only way to assure yourself that no other dog/person get's hurt. And call Dog Control if you have the time, about 30min to wait and make sure to take pictures/video.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
ifwisheswerehorses
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 463 posts

Postby vegas1500 » Dec 2nd, 2018, 12:43 pm

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:To be 100% sure muzzle your dog when on walks. It sucks since you are doing what your supposed to and others are not but that's really the only way to assure yourself that no other dog/person get's hurt. And call Dog Control if you have the time, about 30min to wait and make sure to take pictures/video.

I am sure....my dogs would never bite but I still leash them. If they get atttacked the last thing I want on them Is a muzzle so they can’t defend themselves.

3 people like this post.
vegas1500
Übergod

Liked in: 2015 posts

Postby maple leaf » Dec 2nd, 2018, 1:15 pm

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:To be 100% sure muzzle your dog when on walks. It sucks since you are doing what your supposed to and others are not but that's really the only way to assure yourself that no other dog/person get's hurt. And call Dog Control if you have the time, about 30min to wait and make sure to take pictures/video.

That isn't going to happen. My dog's reaction is defensive. People need to leash their dogs in a leashed area and go to an off-leash dog park for letting it run free. The point people need to realize is their dog may be the friendliest one on the planet but that doesn't mean every other dog is. Don't put your dog at risk and leash it.
― Albert Einstein

Raina likes this post.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby LTD » Dec 2nd, 2018, 2:03 pm

if your dog bites defensive or not it should be muzzled it will still bite a leashed dog as well, I have come across far to many aggressive little purse dogs that have little dog syndrome but of course their idiot owners choose to blame the bigger dog

Raina likes this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3562 posts

Postby maple leaf » Dec 2nd, 2018, 5:39 pm

LTD wrote:if your dog bites defensive or not it should be muzzled it will still bite a leashed dog as well, I have come across far to many aggressive little purse dogs that have little dog syndrome but of course their idiot owners choose to blame the bigger dog

I keep my dog on a leash under my control and don't let him get near big dogs that he is fearful of. The only time it will be the other dog owners fault is if their dog is off leash in an on a leashed area not under their owner's control and unwantedly approaches my dog.
― Albert Einstein

2 people like this post.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Bunnyhop » Dec 2nd, 2018, 6:04 pm

maple leaf wrote:
LTD wrote:if your dog bites defensive or not it should be muzzled it will still bite a leashed dog as well, I have come across far to many aggressive little purse dogs that have little dog syndrome but of course their idiot owners choose to blame the bigger dog

I keep my dog on a leash under my control and don't let him get near big dogs that he is fearful of. The only time it will be the other dog owners fault is if their dog is off leash in an on a leashed area not under their owner's control and unwantedly approaches my dog.

I agree, don’t muzzle your dog. If its fearful then it likely would only air snap at a dog getting too close and not really be interested in a fight.

You can try carrying a small can of compressed air to blast at an oncoming dog. Condition your own dog to the sound of it first so it doesnt scare your dog. Most friendly dogs will startle and stop approaching.

maple leaf likes this post.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 546 posts

Postby maple leaf » Dec 2nd, 2018, 7:41 pm

Bunnyhop wrote:

You can try carrying a small can of compressed air to blast at an oncoming dog. Condition your own dog to the sound of it first so it doesnt scare your dog. Most friendly dogs will startle and stop approaching.

Good suggestion.
― Albert Einstein

Postby maple leaf » Dec 15th, 2018, 10:27 am

People need to get this that just because their dog is friendly doesn't mean every other dog is friendly and all dogs friendly or not need to be controlled on a leash. Thursday this week I was walking down the street with my dog on his leash as I passed in front of a house whose front door is about 20ft from the street, a woman opened her front door to come out with her dog, not on a leash. Her dog bolted out the sidewalk to my dog in seconds. Because of the fears of attack my dog immediately reacted to a big dog running up to him as a threat and a dog fight started. It took both the woman and me struggling to get them apart. Luckily neither dog was hurt this time. ALL DOGS NEED TO BE ON LEASHES when out of your fenced yard or in an off-leash designated area.
― Albert Einstein

Postby LTD » Dec 15th, 2018, 10:56 am

all dogs that react like that should be muzzled if your dog ever bit mine I would punt it like a football
LTD
Lord of the Board

Postby maple leaf » Dec 15th, 2018, 11:11 am

LTD wrote:all dogs that react like that should be muzzled if your dog ever bit mine I would punt it like a football

And you would be the one being sued for cruelty to animals and have a dog at large.
― Albert Einstein

Sige likes this post.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby ferri » Dec 15th, 2018, 11:24 am

:topic:
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson

Raina likes this post.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Liked in: 10108 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Dec 15th, 2018, 9:05 pm

"On Leash" MEANS 'A dog on a leash the the owner holds in his/her hand. I did meet so many owners who did not have their dogs on a leash but were purported to be under 'voice control' - until their dog rushed at me and my dog who was dog unfriendly. There were some difficult encounters - and I had no reason to muzzle my dog. He was on leash as the law required and if another dog (off leash) came running up, of course my dog would react.

Irresponsible dog owners made taking my dog for a relaxing walk turned it into a stressful experience. I ended up carrying a squirt bottle of dilute ammonia that I squirted a yard in from of them and caused charging dogs to stop.
Overpopulation threatens all life on earth.

maple leaf likes this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6680 posts

Postby LTD » Dec 16th, 2018, 10:52 am

maple leaf wrote:
LTD wrote:all dogs that react like that should be muzzled if your dog ever bit mine I would punt it like a football

And you would be the one being sued for cruelty to animals and have a dog at large.

your dog has a problem and will react the same way if I walk by on the sidewalk with my dog on a leash therefore it should be muzzled in public, its not the first time I have seen this issue with little dogs blaming others wont solve the problem
LTD
Lord of the Board

Next

Return to The Pet Lounge