Pet Chat

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Pet Chat

Post by Lady tehMa »

seewood wrote: May 12th, 2023, 2:20 pm
Lady tehMa wrote: May 12th, 2023, 8:45 am Tick season - what do you guys do for tick control on a dog?
Simparica Trio.

Supposedly prevents fleas, ticks, heartworm, and hookworms. For a 70 pound dog, about $300.00 for the 6-7 months.

One pill a month.
I heard from one person who said it's better separately, apparently their dog suffered a massive reaction to the trio . . .
I haven't failed until I quit.
maggiedoon
Fledgling

Post by maggiedoon »

Lady tehMa wrote: May 12th, 2023, 8:45 am Tick season - what do you guys do for tick control on a dog?
Make sure you’re using a tick repellent on your dog, and yourself too. Theres dog safe ones made from lemon eucalyptus oils etc. Natures Fare and the like should have them.

Just spritz the dogs belly, legs and back. And your legs, maybe a few spritzes to front and back of your torso and neck.

We’ve never picked up a tick when we’ve used the spray but have picked up plenty when we’ve forgotten.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Lady tehMa wrote: May 12th, 2023, 2:40 pm I heard from one person who said it's better separately, apparently their dog suffered a massive reaction to the trio . . .
May well be, however Our two have been fine on the stuff the past 2-3 years. Oh, and no tick issues. Not one....touch wood.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Appreciate the advice, all
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I think I might try the petwash at the local Bosley's for Buddy, today. If all goes well and my day doesn't get hijacked (as is often the case).
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

When ever a phone is on speaker our cat goes strange. She starts meowing, walking around the phone and if possible she will try to bite me. Not hard enough to break the skin though.
There's times we have had to close her in a room so we can have a call without being annoyed.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
MalaPropina
Board Meister

Post by MalaPropina »

Babba_not_Gump wrote: Jun 6th, 2023, 4:01 pm When ever a phone is on speaker our cat goes strange. She starts meowing, walking around the phone and if possible she will try to bite me. Not hard enough to break the skin though.
There's times we have had to close her in a room so we can have a call without being annoyed.
A cat's sense of hearing can sense frequency levels 3 times of that of him and. Likely kitty is picking up high frequency sounds and it's irritating her. Their senses are far more sensitive than humans and dogs.

Perhaps take your calls outside if possible or give kitty her own room where she feels safe.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

The sounds that come through on radio when they are doing facetime interviews makes me crazy too. I have very sensitive hearing so I appreciate the cat’s irritation
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

MalaPropina wrote: Jun 6th, 2023, 5:01 pm
Babba_not_Gump wrote: Jun 6th, 2023, 4:01 pm When ever a phone is on speaker our cat goes strange. She starts meowing, walking around the phone and if possible she will try to bite me. Not hard enough to break the skin though.
A cat's sense of hearing can sense frequency levels 3 times of that of him and. Likely kitty is picking up high frequency sounds and it's irritating her. Their senses are far more sensitive than humans and dogs.

Perhaps take your calls outside if possible or give kitty her own room where she feels safe.
I guess it could be an irritation to her, but what would cause her to try biting me. Definitely not a hard bite, she doesn't appear to be trying to be vicious.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Maybe she’s reminding you that she CAN bite if irritated enough.

I used to tease my cat, playtime, but if I went over the line….ouch!
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
MalaPropina
Board Meister

Post by MalaPropina »

Babba_not_Gump wrote: Jun 7th, 2023, 12:33 pm I guess it could be an irritation to her, but what would cause her to try biting me. Definitely not a hard bite, she doesn't appear to be trying to be vicious.
Cats act out when they're agitated, uncomfortable or in pain.

One of mine gets nippy if he's feeling ignored. Another will hiss if she's uncomfortable or startled. And one gets swatty if she's over stimulated. They all act out differently to different situations.

Yours might be agitated by the high frequency sounds coming from the phone which is coming from you since you're the one the sound is coming from when you hold the phone.

Cats don't understand phones and such. They just know something is happening that they don't like. She
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Well, my inlaws have lasted almost 2 months after the death of their dog. Saturday they're going to an adoption event :130:

I hope they find a pup who will be a good fit. They have one in mind, from the Paws It Forward website. Hoping to meet him.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Lady tehMa wrote: Jun 23rd, 2023, 9:45 am Well, my inlaws have lasted almost 2 months after the death of their dog. Saturday they're going to an adoption event :130:

I hope they find a pup who will be a good fit. They have one in mind, from the Paws It Forward website. Hoping to meet him.
That's about how long I lasted. lol

We got Sunny from Taco Dog Rescue. Mexican street dog. If the meet and greet doesn't work out get them to have a look at their website. Their pricing is very reasonable too.

https://www.tacodog.ca/adoptable-dogs/
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Couple on their website - Little Bruno or Leo - that Sunny might like as a cohort in crime. You could call them salt 'n pepper ... just sayin'
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Bsuds wrote: Jun 23rd, 2023, 10:27 am

That's about how long I lasted. lol

We got Sunny from Taco Dog Rescue. Mexican street dog. If the meet and greet doesn't work out get them to have a look at their website. Their pricing is very reasonable too.

https://www.tacodog.ca/adoptable-dogs/
Thanks, Bsuds! I've sent the site to them. :130:

The dog they were looking at may be too big for them. Also a bit young. they are hoping for a mid-sized middle-aged dog. They don't particularly want a small dog, and can't handle anything over 65lbs. They live in Carmi, on a quarter-section (126 acres). They go for walks every day. Their lifestyle is pretty physical (wood heat, they find/split/stack their own firewood) and they miss the companionship of a dog along with that. They did have cocker spaniels at one point, it was either coyotes or a cougar that got them :( So, no more smaller dogs for them.

Return to “The Pet Lounge”