54616
53019

"Let's push them back and take back our town"

Re: "Let's push them back and take back our town"

Postby alanjh595 » Apr 7th, 2018, 6:43 pm

Round them ALL up together, and then sort them out. The ones that are druggies will show tell-tale signs in about 12 hours of waiting for processing. No need for blood tests.
One group can be cared for by simple housing, a hot meal, and support, the other group will need extra assistance and medical attention. Easy peasy.
User avatar
alanjh595
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3144
Likes: 1256 posts
Liked in: 1999 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: "Let's push them back and take back our town"

Postby sab30 » Apr 8th, 2018, 11:18 am

Facts are:

1. Consensus is that these poeple need help, they are not getting it or going to get it themselves as posters have noted.

2. The current strategy is not and will not work. The problem has continued to get worse while attempting the strategy of safe injection, harm reduction etc etc. Common sense is that you cant solve the problem of drug use and poor decisions by promoting they do just that. Some individuals have been resuscitated 4 and 5 times in Vernon. Face it sooner or later they are going to kill themselves or die on the street.

3. Somehow, someway they need to be removed from society and the peer groups they are in, provided safe warm housing with proper nutrition. Build a centre away from downtown cores, have 24 hour consellors and drug addition personal on site. Provided for them everything they dont have and build an enviornment for rehabilitation. Community is happy and these people have every resourse available on site without dying from exposure living on the street.

The cost?? Well arent we paying for for it anyways. The opiod crisis is putting a massive dent of our medical systems and emergency services.

We must go a different direction for everyone involved.

2 people like this post.
sab30
 
Posts: 5
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 7 posts
Joined: Jan 9th, 2008, 4:02 pm

Re: "Let's push them back and take back our town"

Postby liisgo » Apr 8th, 2018, 6:18 pm

sab30 wrote:Facts are:

1. Consensus is that these poeple need help, they are not getting it or going to get it themselves as posters have noted.

2. The current strategy is not and will not work. The problem has continued to get worse while attempting the strategy of safe injection, harm reduction etc etc. Common sense is that you cant solve the problem of drug use and poor decisions by promoting they do just that. Some individuals have been resuscitated 4 and 5 times in Vernon. Face it sooner or later they are going to kill themselves or die on the street.

3. Somehow, someway they need to be removed from society and the peer groups they are in, provided safe warm housing with proper nutrition. Build a centre away from downtown cores, have 24 hour consellors and drug addition personal on site. Provided for them everything they dont have and build an enviornment for rehabilitation. Community is happy and these people have every resourse available on site without dying from exposure living on the street.

The cost?? Well arent we paying for for it anyways. The opiod crisis is putting a massive dent of our medical systems and emergency services.

We must go a different direction for everyone involved.


Agreed, This is exactly what every one needs to realize, that the system now is not working. We cannot help them if we continue to submerse them into these drug cities we have supported and created.
Build a place of function, heath, resources, counselling away from it all.

Our system is suffering far too much from it. Emergency services personnel are beat up, hospitals are packed with it. Wait times for reg. health emergencies are delayed, unsupported. Related crime is growing. Public safety is a real concern now as well.
liisgo
Fledgling
 
Posts: 160
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Jan 19th, 2016, 6:25 pm

Re: "Let's push them back and take back our town"

Postby bob vernon » Apr 12th, 2018, 9:05 am

Sounds like the opening round of the race for the mayor's chair. As predicted before, Scott has seized the wheel of the business bus and will use it to run over the street people. What he might lack in humanity he more than makes up with political ambition. I almost expect to see some Chamber members wearing hats with "Make Vernon Great Again" on the front.

Former mayor Wayne Lippert has already announced that he's running but he seems like a guy on the sidelines right now without an issue to run on. You won't be able to outflank Scott's right wing, Wayne. Akbal might want to be a reasonable leader, but expect Scott's people to brand him as soft on crime. Letters to the editor expressing their outrage are already being written.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/22 ... ing-divide
bob vernon
Übergod
 
Posts: 1997
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 1067 posts
Joined: Oct 27th, 2008, 10:37 am

Re: "Let's push them back and take back our town"

Postby Gixxer » Apr 15th, 2018, 9:50 am

Start by getting rid of the methadone clinic.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4310
Likes: 867 posts
Liked in: 1413 posts
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: "Let's push them back and take back our town"

Postby JayByrd » Apr 15th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Gixxer wrote:Start by getting rid of the methadone clinic.


Yeah. Get those folks back on real heroin, like any self-respecting druggie would be.
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
'cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues.
User avatar
JayByrd
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3079
Likes: 583 posts
Liked in: 1178 posts
Joined: Aug 14th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Re: "Let's push them back and take back our town"

Postby Bsuds » Apr 15th, 2018, 4:41 pm

Gixxer wrote:Start by getting rid of the methadone clinic.


That's a really dumb suggestion!
My Wife just stopped and said "you weren't even listening were you?"

I thought to myself, that's a weird way to start a conversation.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 42017
Likes: 8064 posts
Liked in: 10245 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: "Let's push them back and take back our town"

Postby Gixxer » Apr 15th, 2018, 5:16 pm

Bsuds wrote:
That's a really dumb suggestion!


Really care to explian why thats a dumb suggestion?
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4310
Likes: 867 posts
Liked in: 1413 posts
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: "Let's push them back and take back our town"

Postby bob vernon » Apr 16th, 2018, 10:02 am

Sure, let's get those addicts off the stuff that regularly satisfies their craving. Get them back onto street heroin and into the hands of the big dealers. And that will raise the price of their fixes so that there will be even more break and enters and purse snatchings.
bob vernon
Übergod
 
Posts: 1997
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 1067 posts
Joined: Oct 27th, 2008, 10:37 am

Re: "Let's push them back and take back our town"

Postby Gixxer » Apr 16th, 2018, 11:22 am

I got news for you. Most of them are still heroin or some other street drug like crack or crystal meth.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4310
Likes: 867 posts
Liked in: 1413 posts
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: "Let's push them back and take back our town"

Postby JayByrd » Apr 16th, 2018, 11:39 am

Gixxer wrote:I got news for you. Most of them are still heroin or some other street drug like crack or crystal meth.


That's not news.

And what of the the ones who *are* using methadone as a foothold on sobriety? The ones that are maybe able to hold down a job and keep their family in one piece because of it? You've got a better plan for them too?

The pharmacy I use, supplies methadone. I see people come in, take their swig and be on their way. Some of them look strikingly like normal folks.
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
'cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues.
User avatar
JayByrd
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3079
Likes: 583 posts
Liked in: 1178 posts
Joined: Aug 14th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Re: "Let's push them back and take back our town"

Postby Gixxer » Apr 16th, 2018, 1:34 pm

JayByrd wrote:
That's not news.

And what of the the ones who *are* using methadone as a foothold on sobriety? The ones that are maybe able to hold down a job and keep their family in one piece because of it? You've got a better plan for them too?

The pharmacy I use, supplies methadone. I see people come in, take their swig and be on their way. Some of them look strikingly like normal folks.


Few and far between
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4310
Likes: 867 posts
Liked in: 1413 posts
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Previous

Return to North Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest