Petition for stopping disturbing mask murals on buildings in Vernon

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Petition for stopping disturbing mask murals on buildings in Vernon

Post by bob vernon »

dontrump wrote: Jun 12th, 2022, 10:40 am
bob vernon wrote: Jun 11th, 2022, 8:27 am Look, the town is ugly and the people are ugly so the murals should be ugly, too.
I will just assume you made this post in jest and were not serious
Just go out to Walmart and take a look at the folks in there.
Iamme
Fledgling

Post by Iamme »

I’m happy to see public consultation on this. This way the public has their say. For or against it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

bob vernon wrote: Jun 14th, 2022, 1:26 pm
dontrump wrote: Jun 12th, 2022, 10:40 am

I will just assume you made this post in jest and were not serious
Just go out to Walmart and take a look at the folks in there.
perhaps leave us all in peace and find a town thats better suits ? I have been here for 60 years and have always loved Vernon nothing is perfect for sure but vernon is not how u describe it at all
captkirkcanada
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by captkirkcanada »

i found it interesting when kids saw the drawings in a gallery they were not scared by them at all .
i like the nite life baby, she says
if you had a bowl cut as a kid chances are you support terrorists
Iamme
Fledgling

Post by Iamme »

captkirkcanada wrote: Jun 16th, 2022, 1:55 pm i found it interesting when kids saw the drawings in a gallery they were not scared by them at all .
The Art Gallery could partner with City of Vernon, IH, MH&SU etc. and create marketing and events opportunities to highlight local mental health issues. Working in MH&SU there are so many people who are so artistically talented and I have no problem supporting that. We even showcase local artwork. for me, personally, I would prefer uplifting murals for the 5 years they are supposed to be up for. That’s just mo. You vote however you wish. Like I stated, I’m just happy there is public input being considered. :130:
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

bob vernon wrote: Jun 3rd, 2022, 4:39 pm We need a lot more of these scary murals. Ones with disturbing themes and scenes that will cause people on drugs to flee and keep on running right out of town. Images so scary that drug addicts will become so agitated that they'll not want to remain within sight of the murals and the city will become a cleaner place. So bring on these images that will cause druggies to freak right out and want to flee to a bland city like Kelowna where only the citizenry is scary.
You're kidding right? You don't really believe that something as silly as that would scare drug addicts?right?your kidding?
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
captkirkcanada
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by captkirkcanada »

Iamme wrote: Jun 16th, 2022, 6:19 pm
captkirkcanada wrote: Jun 16th, 2022, 1:55 pm i found it interesting when kids saw the drawings in a gallery they were not scared by them at all .
The Art Gallery could partner with City of Vernon, IH, MH&SU etc. and create marketing and events opportunities to highlight local mental health issues. Working in MH&SU there are so many people who are so artistically talented and I have no problem supporting that. We even showcase local artwork. for me, personally, I would prefer uplifting murals for the 5 years they are supposed to be up for. That’s just mo. You vote however you wish. Like I stated, I’m just happy there is public input being considered. :130:
I dont live in vernon , im not voting , im for public consultation , i support art , i believe art is part of a healthy society , im for supporting mental health . Im for supporting anyone that needs it .
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

common_sense_guy wrote: Jun 17th, 2022, 7:43 am
bob vernon wrote: Jun 3rd, 2022, 4:39 pm We need a lot more of these scary murals. Ones with disturbing themes and scenes that will cause people on drugs to flee and keep on running right out of town. Images so scary that drug addicts will become so agitated that they'll not want to remain within sight of the murals and the city will become a cleaner place. So bring on these images that will cause druggies to freak right out and want to flee to a bland city like Kelowna where only the citizenry is scary.
You're kidding right? You don't really believe that something as silly as that would scare drug addicts?right?your kidding?
Yeah, I was kidding. Except about the Kelowna part.
bidwell2
Fledgling

Post by bidwell2 »

captkirkcanada wrote: Jun 18th, 2022, 10:41 am
Iamme wrote: Jun 16th, 2022, 6:19 pm

I dont live in vernon , im not voting , im for public consultation , i support art , i believe art is part of a healthy society , im for supporting mental health . Im for supporting anyone that needs it .
Actually this whole issue has absolutely nothing to do with mental health awareness. It's about the display of appropriate murals in Vernon. I wouldn't feel at all that I am not supporting mental health awareness when I vote against the murals.
CanuckFan
Fledgling

Post by CanuckFan »

I see on the news this morning, that the anti-mural petition greatly outnumbers the pro-mural petition.

I saw last week, a letter from a lady complaining that the so-called 'public consultation' means you have to actually GO to the art gallery to make your point of view known. Some 'consultation'. People should be allowed to view and give input online - not everyone can or wants to make the time to go to the art gallery. All that will end up being is a bunch of people in favour of these god-awful murals, going to the gallery and then the art gallery saying, "See, almost everyone wants them!"
captkirkcanada
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by captkirkcanada »

bidwell2 wrote: Jun 23rd, 2022, 3:49 pm
Actually this whole issue has absolutely nothing to do with mental health awareness. It's about the display of appropriate murals in Vernon. I wouldn't feel at all that I am not supporting mental health awareness when I vote against the murals.
i was talking about myself . never mentioned you :135:
CanuckFan
Fledgling

Post by CanuckFan »

Of course, the art gallery now says that the majority of people voted for the project.

No, just that the people against it didn't want to go in to the gallery to speak out against it.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

This is going to set off some people. Like waving a red flag in front of a raging bull. At least the weekend posts on here should be interesting. Vent away.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/37 ... nsultation
Silverstarqueen
Buddha of the Board

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I agree. As art, the murals are interesting, but ugly. They would be fine in an Art Gallery where no one has to look at it if they don't want to. On a street mural, we'd all have no choice, and I think the murals are not supporting or highlighting mental health, if that was their intention. The intention seems to be to make people accept ugly art because we are afraid to look like we don't support mental health. Should we then put up murals of gorey car crashes to encourage more considerate driving habits? the concept is ludicrous. Or is the intention to make everyone depressed by looking at ugly art on our streets?
I support mental health. I don't support forcing ugly art on everyone. Ugly art has it's place, in an Art Gallery.
Kroynon
Übergod

Post by Kroynon »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Jul 19th, 2022, 3:26 am

I agree. As art, the murals are interesting, but ugly. They would be fine in an Art Gallery where no one has to look at it if they don't want to. On a street mural, we'd all have no choice, and I think the murals are not supporting or highlighting mental health, if that was their intention. The intention seems to be to make people accept ugly art because we are afraid to look like we don't support mental health. Should we then put up murals of gorey car crashes to encourage more considerate driving habits? the concept is ludicrous. Or is the intention to make everyone depressed by looking at ugly art on our streets?
I support mental health. I don't support forcing ugly art on everyone. Ugly art has it's place, in an Art Gallery.
Also agreed. Keep this in an art gallery. Don't force on people and make them pay for it.
Insert random quote here to try and make yourself appear of superior intelligence.

Return to “North Okanagan”