Pretty straightforward imo.

A comprehensive claim from out of province insurance
Should not be covered by ICBC.
No more that a rock chipping a windshield should be paid for
From a visiting tourist.

The policy covered those insured with that option by ICBC

I wouldn’t expect that if i visited alberta and my car was wrecked by
Hail or someones kayak falling out of a truck that it would be covered by
The Province or Alberta or one of the insurance companies operating within.

If I saw the plate that the unstowed kayaks fell from then you pursue their insurance,
Make a police report snd contact your own insurance company. Your insurance company will go after theirs.
Or in the case where the “at-fault” party, wither driver or municipality has no insurance coverage,
A civil suit would be the next step. If this Alberta driver had a no fault policy then he would be covered.

It is awful that this happened to this driver. I can’t imagine the frustration of injury and life changing
Problems going forward. i would feel frustrated as well and hope he goes after his own insurance with some success.
Time and unforeseen occurrences happen to us all.

I for one am happy we have ICBC. Aside from higher rates,
When we need it, its there and less of a challenge than private insurance
For claims and costs. In my experience anyway and I'm sure there are ICBC horror stories out there
Especially for injury claims.

Doesn’t sound like the Alberta Policy came and saves the day though.
And Motorcycle insurance is cheap cheap in AB. No reason to max out coverage. I did when
I lived and drove there for the cost and risk of riding a motorcycle. Assume you are i visible and will need the insurance.

If the motorcyclist was a BC plate, then we have a story.
Even Steven
Guru

Re: Insurance No Mans Land

Post by Even Steven »

Why his Alberta insurance not covering him?

They should be the one paying him, they should be fighting ICBC.
Keepingit4real

Post by Keepingit4real »

Even Steven wrote: Nov 5th, 2022, 11:46 am Why his Alberta insurance not covering him?

Exactly!

Why waste time with local media.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Even Steven wrote: Nov 5th, 2022, 11:46 am Why his Alberta insurance not covering him?

Where was the truck insured that they Kayaks came from?
That's the insurance that should be paying and also the driver should be liable and sued for negligence!
Hafa adai
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Keepingit4real wrote: Nov 5th, 2022, 11:38 am
For claims and costs. In my experience anyway and I'm sure there are ICBC horror stories out there
I was way happier with the private insurance when I had that.
They even paid my deductable with ICBC for a hit and run.

ICBC is a disgusting joke!
Hafa adai
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Bsuds wrote: Nov 5th, 2022, 6:33 pm Where was the truck insured that they Kayaks came from?
That's the insurance that should be paying and also the driver should be liable and sued for negligence!
Yes, his Alberta insurance company should be going after ICBC. Sounds like they did not.

He can still sue ICBC and whoever, but it sounds like he was expecting the process to be easy.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

BC residents/drivers wanted lower insurance premiums, sometimes getting what one wants has a negative side to it.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
Keepingit4real

Post by Keepingit4real »

Bsuds wrote: Nov 5th, 2022, 6:33 pm

The Truck did not hit him is why the kayak did.
If a bicycle hit your car a home owners insurance would not cover it.
Comprehensive claim. Look at the rules and insurance of towing a trailer.
If the trailer is attached to a towing vehicle and hits you, coverage is under the towing vehicle.
If the trailer becomes detached and then hits you, it then it the trailers policy that comes into effect.
If they kayak had an insurance policy then he can go after that.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Keepingit4real wrote: Nov 6th, 2022, 7:38 am
Bsuds wrote: Nov 5th, 2022, 6:33 pm

The Truck did not hit him is why the kayak did.
If a bicycle hit your car a home owners insurance would not cover it.
Comprehensive claim. Look at the rules and insurance of towing a trailer.
If the trailer is attached to a towing vehicle and hits you, coverage is under the towing vehicle.
If the trailer becomes detached and then hits you, it then it the trailers policy that comes into effect.
If they kayak had an insurance policy then he can go after that.
Then you go after the driver for negligence!
Hafa adai
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Keepingit4real wrote: Nov 5th, 2022, 11:38 am https://www.castanet.net/news/Salmon-Ar ... ult-system

Pretty straightforward imo.

A comprehensive claim from out of province insurance
Not a comprehensive claim.
Should not be covered by ICBC.
No more that a rock chipping a windshield should be paid for
From a visiting tourist.
This wasn't an article on the road flipped up by a tire, this was improperly secured cargo
The policy covered those insured with that option by ICBC

I wouldn’t expect that if i visited alberta and my car was wrecked by
Hail or someones kayak falling out of a truck that it would be covered by
The Province or Alberta or one of the insurance companies operating within.
Hail is a comprehensive claim, a kayak falling from a truck is not, it's a tort claim (negligence)
If I saw the plate that the unstowed kayaks fell from then you pursue their insurance,
Make a police report snd contact your own insurance company. Your insurance company will go after theirs.
Or in the case where the “at-fault” party, wither driver or municipality has no insurance coverage,
If you didn't get the plate number you'd still have a claim against "unidentified motorist protection"
A civil suit would be the next step. If this Alberta driver had a no fault policy then he would be covered.

It is awful that this happened to this driver. I can’t imagine the frustration of injury and life changing
Problems going forward. i would feel frustrated as well and hope he goes after his own insurance with some success.
Time and unforeseen occurrences happen to us all.

Doesn’t sound like the Alberta Policy came and saves the day though.
And Motorcycle insurance is cheap cheap in AB. No reason to max out coverage. I did when
I lived and drove there for the cost and risk of riding a motorcycle. Assume you are i visible and will need the insurance.

If the motorcyclist was a BC plate, then we have a story.
Something is fishy with this story:
  • "Bird was "in transition" between living in Alberta and relocating to British Columbia when he was struck by an unsecured kayak that flew out of the back of a passing truck.
    The Malakwa resident said he had only been in B.C. a few weeks and his motorcycle was still insured in Alberta when he went for a ride to enjoy a nice summer day."
So if the motorcycle rider had only been in BC for "a few weeks" he is in full compliance with BC traffic laws and thus his Alberta insurance would be fully in effect:
  • Registration of foreign motor vehicles and trailers
    • 21 (1)The owner of a motor vehicle or trailer

(a)that is duly registered outside British Columbia,

(b)for which the licensing requirements of the jurisdiction in which it is registered are fulfilled, and

(c)that has displayed on it the registration number plates of that jurisdiction for the current year, or is a trailer that is designed exclusively to carry one axle of a motor vehicle for the purpose of towing that motor vehicle behind another motor vehicle and is from a jurisdiction that does not issue registration number plates for that type of trailer,
      is exempt from the requirements to register and license the motor vehicle or trailer under this Act, if

(d)the owner or operator of the motor vehicle or trailer is in British Columbia for, and uses the motor vehicle or trailer for, touring purposes only, for a period of 6 months, or

(e)the owner or operator of the motor vehicle or trailer is in British Columbia for, and uses the motor vehicle or trailer for, other than touring purposes, for a period of 30 days

from the date he or she began to operate the motor vehicle or trailer on a highway in British Columbia.
a) the BC vehicle in the story (if correct) is liable. BC residents are bared from liability claims against other BC insured vehicles. Do you really think that every out of province vehicle (non-BC) vehicle has no coverage while in BC if hit by a liable BC vehicle ? Of course BC auto insurance covers them.

b) the primary coverage is the M/C riders own insurance, he had only been in BC "a few weeks" thus he should be covered. In insurance there is no grey area. You are covered or you are not covered. The story says "His Alberta insurer has provided "a few dollars," but Bird says it doesn't cover much.". So does he have Alberta coverage or not ???? If he is in breach for moving to BC and he's lying about only being here "a few weeks" then his Alberta coverage is void, so the Alberta insurance isn't going to "not cover much", they are not going to cover one cent.

This story has an aroma. Typical of Castanet, listening to a gripe and printing it without checking facts.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

Just a note re travel insurance. We were talking to our financial guy the other day and asked about travel insurance as we are gone 5 weeks. He said check your benefit plan fine print so I did and we are good to go . What he did tell us is if you rely on your credit card insurance for a 2 week trip but you are going for maybe 20 days he said if you plan to top up your insurance with another carrier your 2 weeks coverage from your credit card will be invalid. The reason is the credit card company says if you top up with someone else our policy won't cover you. I wasnt clear with the lengthy explanation but I got the jist of it. You can do your own investigation as I am no expert in this field but it did make me go HMMMMMM!! Insurance companies will go to any low life excuse to not pay out your claim I detest insurance companies more than I hate green peppers and Justin T. They collect premiums for years then when you make a claim its a huge deductable and a battle to collect. Scum of the earth!! They always find something to renege on paying.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

We went with TUGO this year as we had heard from a couple of people who had claims that worked out well.
I_am_a_Canadian (with unacceptable views)

"I reject a society where every desire becomes a right. Where I have no responsibilities, I have only rights."
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Noisy Boater wrote: Nov 21st, 2022, 7:57 pm Just a note re travel insurance. We were talking to our financial guy the other day and asked about travel insurance as we are gone 5 weeks. He said check your benefit plan fine print so I did and we are good to go . What he did tell us is if you rely on your credit card insurance for a 2 week trip but you are going for maybe 20 days he said if you plan to top up your insurance with another carrier your 2 weeks coverage from your credit card will be invalid. The reason is the credit card company says if you top up with someone else our policy won't cover you. I wasnt clear with the lengthy explanation but I got the jist of it. You can do your own investigation as I am no expert in this field but it did make me go HMMMMMM!! Insurance companies will go to any low life excuse to not pay out your claim I detest insurance companies more than I hate green peppers and Justin T. They collect premiums for years then when you make a claim its a huge deductable and a battle to collect. Scum of the earth!! They always find something to renege on paying.
I completely disagree with you. I like green peppers [icon_lol2.gif]

Yes, even reading the fine print on some insurance policies, you need to define their wording.

Example they could say "Have you been treated for a heart condition in the last year ?" You haven't and answer "No". The fine print defines "treatment", (among other things), as "being tested". So if you had a full physical that included an electro cardiogram an insurance company could say you made a false statement on the application. That's one example of what CAN happen, not saying they all do. Also when they breach you they breach the coverage, a false statement regarding a treatment for your heart could void treatment for a broken leg on your trip.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

Noisy Boater wrote: Nov 21st, 2022, 7:57 pm Just a note re travel insurance. We were talking to our financial guy the other day and asked about travel insurance as we are gone 5 weeks. He said check your benefit plan fine print so I did and we are good to go . What he did tell us is if you rely on your credit card insurance for a 2 week trip but you are going for maybe 20 days he said if you plan to top up your insurance with another carrier your 2 weeks coverage from your credit card will be invalid. The reason is the credit card company says if you top up with someone else our policy won't cover you. I wasnt clear with the lengthy explanation but I got the jist of it. You can do your own investigation as I am no expert in this field but it did make me go HMMMMMM!! Insurance companies will go to any low life excuse to not pay out your claim I detest insurance companies more than I hate green peppers and Justin T. They collect premiums for years then when you make a claim its a huge deductable and a battle to collect. Scum of the earth!! They always find something to renege on paying.
OH......I agree.

One travel insurance plan that was offered to me for my 3 day trip to LV (very subliminally in the wording that, "If I was involved in an accident (walking, as in crossing the street on a crosswalk) and I had been drinking.....no coverage for my injuries.

Really?......Who doesn't go to Las Vegas and drink?
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “North Okanagan”