You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Post by bob vernon »

Many of those old gas station sites had underground tanks that leaked. The soil has a lot of gas still underground and it takes many years for it to leave. Some of the sites have holes drilled into the ground with pipes installed to let the gas vent out. I wouldn't want to build a house or business on one of these sites with that smell coming out of the ground for years.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Love there's a list of gas stations from 1981

http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.ph ... &start=750
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

Kinda figured it was a gas station by pizza hut. That's what my dad was saying they were lots for holding gas. How many years have those lots been their for my dad can't quite remember.
Rockford1234

Post by Rockford1234 »

Vern Dyes pool hall. Marie''s sweetshop in Kal Hotel, late night Mushroom Burgers at Burger Baron, girls on rollerskating serving at A&W, the go carts and pinball arcade at Dutch''s campground.
Rockford1234

Post by Rockford1234 »

That Polson Place was actually a Functioning Mall with shops to challenge the traffic at the Village Green mall? That the Bay was downtown on the corner where the CIBC is now and that run down scuzzy building on mainstreet past that south was actually the very successful Woolworths store?!!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

https://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/ver ... us-places/

When Vernon was not on the list of Canada's most dangerous Cities places. Hmm..
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Rockford1234 wrote:That Polson Place was actually a Functioning Mall with shops to challenge the traffic at the Village Green mall? That the Bay was downtown on the corner where the CIBC is now and that run down scuzzy building on mainstreet past that south was actually the very successful Woolworths store?!!

Polson Place was a happening place at one time. They did some really fun promotions that kept people entertained and coming back. I remember when CJIB radio did a jello jump at the mall … the area by the theatre was packed with people and then all those people ended up in the mall. There was a restaurant in PP called The Copper Mug I think, there were days you couldn't get a seat for lunch. Good food, good service and good price. Wasn't there also a Robinson Store in the mall? Manager of the mall was a very nice woman by the name of Connie .. can't remember her last name. She always had a smile for you. Good memories … long gone never to be repeated.
BCGrrrrl

Post by BCGrrrrl »

I remember the eatery in Polson Mall as "The Copper Kettle". I'm getting on in years so could easily be wrong, lol.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

BCGrrrrl wrote:I remember the eatery in Polson Mall as "The Copper Kettle". I'm getting on in years so could easily be wrong, lol.

You are correct … The Copper Kettle and the owner, cook, money taker, dish washer man of many talents went by the name of Gary if my memory serves me right.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

There used to be a Vet Clinic just off Pleasant Valley Road at the intersection of 20th Street I think. Does anyone remember his name? Or the name of the clinic. He helped me with my cat once and was absolutely amazing. Probably long gone now.
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

J could be wrong but it seems to me that in my much younger days I thought there was a vet there named Mckuryk?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Think his first name might have been Vic???
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

southy wrote:There used to be a Vet Clinic just off Pleasant Valley Road at the intersection of 20th Street I think. Does anyone remember his name? Or the name of the clinic. He helped me with my cat once and was absolutely amazing. Probably long gone now.

name was Parkhill and he was not a good vet and died like 37 years ago
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

Thanks DT,
That rings a bell. Don't know where my memory was going with my post?
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

danmartin wrote:J could be wrong but it seems to me that in my much younger days I thought there was a vet there named Mckuryk?

McKoryks lived just across PV Road from Parkhills. The house that has the wedge of lawn that ends at intersection of 39th Avenue and PV Road. I think the Dad was Mike and he was a Mechanic at Galbraith's.

Return to “North Okanagan”