You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Post by zookeeper »

Picture of Capitol Theater from 1938 on Castanet. Before helicopter parenting us kids could take the city bus downtown for the Saturday matinee, grab some candy from Nick's candy kitchen after and take the bus home.
CanuckFan
Fledgling

Post by CanuckFan »

I believe Mike McKoryk was a Caterpillar mechanic at one time, as well. Mrs. McK (can't remember her name) was a good friend of my in-laws. A very nice lady and I believe she is still alive and kicking.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bumped
By the time I came along only thing I remember of Vernon China town was 1 restaurant Lotus Garden, I was hooked on western Chinese food (I still am).
https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/30 ... -Chinatown
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

GordonH wrote:Bumped
By the time I came along only thing I remember of Vernon China town was 1 restaurant Lotus Garden, I was hooked on western Chinese food (I still am).

hong kong village was the main one, lotus gardens was across the street ;; owned by brothers harry and johnny low
Hong kong is still there operated as a breakfast and lunch restaurant on the fishers home hardware location
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

dontrump wrote:
hong kong village was the main one, lotus gardens was across the street ;; owned by brothers harry and johnny low
Hong kong is still there operated as a breakfast and lunch restaurant on the fishers home hardware location

Oh the garlic dry ribs, my taste buds just had a reminiscence.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Bumped

dontrump wrote:hong kong village was the main one, lotus gardens was across the street ;; owned by brothers harry and johnny low

At the time I was about 10 years old so I went wherever my parents went.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

I think my sister worked at Lotus Gardens. I remember 3 restaurants in "china town". Hong Kong Village was across the street and another one that had a nightclub in the basement. Hmmm. Trying to remember the name of that one. Goon Hong's.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

gardengirl wrote:I think my sister worked at Lotus Gardens. I remember 3 restaurants in "china town". Hong Kong Village was across the street and another one that had a nightclub in the basement. Hmmm. Trying to remember the name of that one. Goon Hong's.

Goon Hong it was. Owner was Eddie Yee his wife was Susan I believe. Hard working folks. Yes it had a disco downstairs was managed by George Yamaha i believe. Upstairs was a banquet hall .. was usually rented out for weddings and private parties.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Aug 24th, 2020, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quoted w/o a response
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

southy wrote:
gardengirl wrote:I think my sister worked at Lotus Gardens. I remember 3 restaurants in "china town". Hong Kong Village was across the street and another one that had a nightclub in the basement. Hmmm. Trying to remember the name of that one. Goon Hong's.

Yes it was the Goon Hong owned by a Eddie Yee. Hardworking man. Disco downstairs was called the a Rainbow Room managed by George Yamada . Upstairs Was a banquet hall.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Shopping at the Fruit Union.
We're lost but we're making good time.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

From Kelowna myself , but definitely remember finding most of a mortar round on one of the ranges and bringing it home.. still know where it is. Sometimes you would find pretty big parts of the tail, like the one shown on the news today..or smaller pieces of them. ..
Strange thing is, I don't remember being warned before they took the cadets out there.. one time there was a long piece of webbing, around 20 feet long in a sort of circle, I started rolling it up but left it. Mentioned it to a Corporal or Seargent later, he said, Oh , they use that to mark unexploded ordinance when they see it.. Ahhhhhhh :200:

I should add, the mortar I found was sort of a dud, it had the whole tube but the end cap was off, and the tube is empty inside, and its been run over, has a dent on the side..... :135:
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Oh I remember big signs to stay off the range. This would have been in the early 70s as I was very young.
We had friends who lived right at the big corner on Kickwillie Loop. Right across the street it was all just a big, overgrown field of tall grass. We always wanted to make paths in there, but there were warning signs to say out. I am pretty sure it was around that time a couple kids died there.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

That did happen a few times.
I would assume when they took us cadets up there, it was usually an are they deemed somewhat safe. :200:
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Not quite in Vernon, but at the end of Trask Rd in Oyama is a provincial park.
Originally the house and surgery of doctor Trask was built there,
How many people remember it as the Abby, a popular spot owned by the Abby's who later turned it over to the Province for a park?.
We're lost but we're making good time.

Return to “North Okanagan”