You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

at88mph

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Post by at88mph »

Thank you for creating this huge thread!

I remember Waddy's with the big representation of him holding pancakes. I remember Bino's and Bonanza's. I remember the bobsled, and I miss it!

I used to work out at Centurion fitness, and I remember enjoying occasional swims in the jungle pool at the Vernon Lodge.

I worked at One Stop Video, and always marvelled at how old and weird Polson Place Mall was whenever I walked through it.

I took my kids to Atlantis Waterslides two summers ago (I live in Victoria now), and I could swear the exact same wear patterns (whiteness) still exist on the slides.

I remember walking past the Kal Hotel at night and thinking how I should give it a wide berth. I went to school at Beairsto and still remember the smells of the coffee roasters nearby. I remember Kal beach and Kin beach and liked them both very much.

I remember the Tastee Freeze, Lincoln Lanes bowling, and sneaking off to Ebenezer's to play arcade games during lunch times in High School.

I could go on, but this is enough fun. Thanks again.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

at88mph wrote:I remember Waddy's with the big representation of him holding pancakes

As much as I loved Waddy's, I kinda liked it a bit better when it was Smitty's.
at88mph wrote:and I remember enjoying occasional swims in the jungle pool at the Vernon Lodge.

We always went there after church in the evening, back when they made the Caesar salad table side. I sure miss the Sunday brunches, was always the highlight of coming back to visit family in the later years.
at88mph wrote:I remember Bino's and Bonanza's

Ah yes, Bino's, always thought it was cool to sit upstairs lol. Bonanza was great, Chicken Monterey with the salad bar :up:
at88mph wrote:I worked at One Stop Video

Was that the one on the corner of 43rd Ave and 27th Street? Where the old Lutheran church was?
at88mph wrote:and always marvelled at how old and weird Polson Place Mall was whenever I walked through it

If I close my eyes, I can still smell that soup and sandwich place as soon as you walk in. Kinda miss how the theatre there was, when the ticket line up went down that little hallway between the theatre and mall.
at88mph wrote:I took my kids to Atlantis Waterslides two summers ago (I live in Victoria now), and I could swear the exact same wear patterns (whiteness) still exist on the slides

Hard to believe, the first few years when they opened, a seasons pass was only $50. We literally lived there during the summer lol.
at88mph wrote:I went to school at Beairsto

Ditto. Miss the dollar lunches and the 50 cent frozen chocolate milk lol. Always thought the school was way cooler when the windows on the dome were covered up, made the stories of Mr. Beairsto's body still hanging up there more believable.
at88mph wrote:and still remember the smells of the coffee roasters nearby

Voets, especially on a cold winter day. Then when Okanagan Spring opened up, it just added to the smell. Downtown sure had its distinct aroma, thats for sure.

at88mph wrote:and sneaking off to Ebenezer's to play arcade games during lunch times in High School

And the smell of Top Choice next door wafting in through the door. I still head into Eb's every time I come into town, walk into the DVD/CD section where the arcade used to be and reminisce of a simpler time. Interestingly, a lot of the the posters on the wall are the same posters that were up there back in the day lol. Don't wanna mention any names, but its pretty awesome that you're welcomed in the door by the same face that you were 30 years ago.

Friday's was the other notable arcade, just around the block from Eb's on 32nd Street where the BMO is today, that was the "bad boy" arcade lol. Then there was also a smaller arcade, I think it was called TJs, that was in that little plaza on 43rd Ave by an IGA, kinda where NAPA is today.

One place I really, really, really miss is RJ's. Their Wedges were the absolute best thing around, 85 cents a bag and dabbed in a pool of ketchup, man oh man. Their chicken burgers were still the best chicken burgers I've ever had, toasted bun, thousand island dressing, pickles and then they'd just pull their fried chicken apart and throw it on.

Another place I spent a lot of my childhood, and spent a lot of money in, was the hobby store on 30th. Those were the days, you'd walk in, the smell of cigarette smoke greeting you as the owner was in the back, smoking away and working on the latest model lol.

Athen's Pizza was another great place, the smell as soon as you walked in and their pizza was literally the best in town. King's, Woolworths, The Keg by the train tracks, Julia's, Nick's, Roxy's bakery (one dozen of day old donuts for a buck), BP (later KTs) back when BP was awesome, mmmm, pizza bread and the Boston Brute.

I had the paper route for the downtown core back when Vernon Daily News was around, what a great route that was, got to spend a lot of time in places that no longer exist and time with the owners who are no longer with us. Fun fact though, I was the first paper boy for The Morning Star when it started :smt045

On a side note, anyone know if Sarge from People's Grocery is still alive? No question, he was the most familiar face of many of us who grew up in Vernon.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Off topic, no sense making a new thread:

30 minute drive north of Vernon is Enderby and back very late 70s and mostly in early 80s was hell of a ball team, knowing as the Legionnaires. I happened to come across a video of those days, yes many of the games I was in the stands watching.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JTmr5JdDOCw

btw at least 1 of the players made it to MLB Kevin Remier
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

OKkayak wrote:On a side note, anyone know if Sarge from People's Grocery is still alive? No question, he was the most familiar face of many of us who grew up in Vernon.

He was 3 years ago or so, just walked in and remembers me every time! I noticed he was sure starting to slow down. It was a stop for us when in town, he still had the old fashioned candy in the tubs and taking the family kids there, well old habits die hard.

I remember when the Lee family had People's and then Sarge bought it. The Lee's had a restaurant down by the Vernon Daily, name not coming to me. Wonder what happened to them?
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

zookeeper wrote:I remember when the Lee family had People's and then Sarge bought it. The Lee's had a restaurant down by the Vernon Daily, name not coming to me. Wonder what happened to them?

Apple Lane?
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Yes! I wonder if the Lee's still own it.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

zookeeper wrote:Yes! I wonder if the Lee's still own it.

That I don't know. Used to go there quite often for my Sunday night dinner take out. Honestly, I didn't even realize that People's was owned by another family before, I just remember Sarge since we moved their in 1980. There was another corner store just down the road beside Bearisto, where that new Timmie's is now, can't remember the name of it though. Used to go there during lunch and get some 1 cent sours and hockey cards to play them under the overhang behind the school gym. Scramble! [icon_lol2.gif]
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

at88mph wrote:I remember Waddy's with the big representation of him holding pancakes

As much as I loved Waddy's, I kinda liked it a bit better when it was Smitty's.
at88mph wrote:and I remember enjoying occasional swims in the jungle pool at the Vernon Lodge.

We always went there after church in the evening, back when they made the Caesar salad table side. I sure miss the Sunday brunches, was always the highlight of coming back to visit family in the later years.
at88mph wrote:I remember Bino's and Bonanza's

Ah yes, Bino's, always thought it was cool to sit upstairs lol. Bonanza was great, Chicken Monterey with the salad bar :up:
at88mph wrote:I worked at One Stop Video

Was that the one on the corner of 43rd Ave and 27th Street? Where the old Lutheran church was?
at88mph wrote:and always marvelled at how old and weird Polson Place Mall was whenever I walked through it

If I close my eyes, I can still smell that soup and sandwich place as soon as you walk in. Kinda miss how the theatre there was, when the ticket line up went down that little hallway between the theatre and mall.
at88mph wrote:I took my kids to Atlantis Waterslides two summers ago (I live in Victoria now), and I could swear the exact same wear patterns (whiteness) still exist on the slides

Hard to believe, the first few years when they opened, a seasons pass was only $50. We literally lived there during the summer lol.
at88mph wrote:I went to school at Beairsto

Ditto. Miss the dollar lunches and the 50 cent frozen chocolate milk lol. Always thought the school was way cooler when the windows on the dome were covered up, made the stories of Mr. Beairsto's body still hanging up there more believable.
at88mph wrote:and still remember the smells of the coffee roasters nearby

Voets, especially on a cold winter day. Then when Okanagan Spring opened up, it just added to the smell. Downtown sure had its distinct aroma, thats for sure.

OKkayak wrote:
at88mph wrote:and sneaking off to Ebenezer's to play arcade games during lunch times in High School

And the smell of Top Choice next door wafting in through the door. I still head into Eb's every time I come into town, walk into the DVD/CD section where the arcade used to be and reminisce of a simpler time. Interestingly, a lot of the the posters on the wall are the same posters that were up there back in the day lol. Don't wanna mention any names, but its pretty awesome that you're welcomed in the door by the same face that you were 30 years ago.

Friday's was the other notable arcade, just around the block from Eb's on 32nd Street where the BMO is today, that was the "bad boy" arcade lol. Then there was also a smaller arcade, I think it was called TJs, that was in that little plaza on 43rd Ave by an IGA, kinda where NAPA is today.

One place I really, really, really miss is RJ's. Their Wedges were the absolute best thing around, 85 cents a bag and dabbed in a pool of ketchup, man oh man. Their chicken burgers were still the best chicken burgers I've ever had, toasted bun, thousand island dressing, pickles and then they'd just pull their fried chicken apart and throw it on.

Another place I spent a lot of my childhood, and spent a lot of money in, was the hobby store on 30th. Those were the days, you'd walk in, the smell of cigarette smoke greeting you as the owner was in the back, smoking away and working on the latest model lol.

Athen's Pizza was another great place, the smell as soon as you walked in and their pizza was literally the best in town. King's, Woolworths, The Keg by the train tracks, Julia's, Nick's, Roxy's bakery (one dozen of day old donuts for a buck), BP (later KTs) back when BP was awesome, mmmm, pizza bread and the Boston Brute.

I had the paper route for the downtown core back when Vernon Daily News was around, what a great route that was, got to spend a lot of time in places that no longer exist and time with the owners who are no longer with us. Fun fact though, I was the first paper boy for The Morning Star when it started :smt045

On a side note, anyone know if Sarge from People's Grocery is still alive? No question, he was the most familiar face of many of us who grew up in Vernon.

Oh man! Thank you guys for these posts. I remember all these! I didn't live in Vernon, but it was the place to hang out.
My mom took me to the opening of Grease at the Polson Place Mall. I think it was my 13th birthday. There was a lineup out of the building, all the way around the front and down to the back beside the creek. Even back then, the mall was weird, the only place that seemed busy was the grocery store. When I got older, there was lots of time and money spent at Scarlet's and Club 29. Followed up, and sobered up at Athens Pizza. I was the best! I remember the owner Nick was a lovely and very tolerant man as all the drunks stumbled in after the club closed at 2am. (BTW, this thread is so long, I may have actually mentioned this before....) He had a jukebox that mostly kept up with the new music, but one thing never changed....Delilah!
This would have been in the early 80's, but Tom Jones' hit from 1967 held a place of honour there. Every time we went it, we would pick out our selections, but leave room for Delilah which we gleefully, and probably very badly, sang along with at the top of our lungs.

On a side note: And very sad, a couple of months ago, one of the female announcers on the CBC choose to play Delilah. I don't remember which program, I think it was one of the weekend mornings. She just picked a song she liked. Well, later I heard her give a Public Apology! Seriously! Apparently someone complained that the song glorified violence against women.

#1. It is a song, it is art (of a type) it is from a different time, it is a classic. It was written in the style of lots of dramatic ballads which were written years before. Example: Frankie and Johnny. (Except in that one, the woman shoots the man for the same reason, but I guess that's ok.)

#2. I have heard FAR more offensive garbage on the radio, including on CBC. (Just google Cardi B)

#3. If you can enjoy the cheese factor of Delilah, you need to loosen up!

#4. It was a cautionary tale, Delilah (the name was chosen intentionally I am sure) was a witch and she had it coming...
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

I dont think Athens pizza was around in the mid 80,s
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

dontrump wrote:I dont think Athens pizza was around in the mid 80,s

It was.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

It was there in the early 90's but was pretty much run by Pete at that time.
BCGrrrrl

Post by BCGrrrrl »

Further to the interviewer on Kal Lake lookout, it was Don Warner for a long time. He met some really interesting folks up there and I used to get up there every once in awhile.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Gixxer wrote:

It was there in the early 90's but was pretty much run by Pete at that time.

Now I remeber as Peter Manolakas headed The Greeks at the time of the murders He was a coke dealer and a murderer

I forgot the athens was still using the same name the resturant I remember in the early 70 (69-77 era) was a great place to eat at after the bars and niteclubs closed
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Petes parents owned Athenas
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

BCGrrrrl wrote:Further to the interviewer on Kal Lake lookout, it was Don Warner for a long time. He met some really interesting folks up there and I used to get up there every once in awhile.

I am told that the programme was called “Welcome Traveller”.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown

Return to “North Okanagan”