Nude beach, Penticton: posted "No Trespassing"

cv23
Guru

Re: Nude beach, Penticton is posted "NO TRESPASSING"

Post by cv23 »

Dawnland wrote:This beach should be public, not private, that is why this group is seeking intervention.

The property is for sale so why don't the nudists just buy it and designate it as being open to the public and clothing optional?

Dawnland wrote:The owner will not subdivide his property to allow for that because the main selling feature is the 850 feet of waterfront. The naturalists and bathers are not interested in getting into the vineyard market.

Seeing everyone realizes that the waterfront area is the most valuable portion of the property then the owner likely would have no issue subdividing off the waterfront if the nudists are willing to pay appropriately for it's value.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Last edited by Drip_Torch on Apr 12th, 2015, 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

CV 23
Please read again, "The owner will not subdivide" If he sells off the beachfront he'll be stuck with the top part for another 7 years.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Dawnland wrote:CV 23
Please read again, "The owner will not subdivide" If he sells off the beachfront he'll be stuck with the top part for another 7 years.

Everyone knows the lakeshore is what is worth the money. It is no different anywhere. If its a package deal then think of it as you paid a fair price for the beach and got the rest of the property thrown in for free.
I'm sure If the nudists paid say 90% of the asking price for the whole property to obtain just for the most valuable portion I'm sure the owner would take it as then he could sell the not so valuable portion for a substantially reduced amount.
Cream costs more than milk
Last edited by cv23 on Jun 4th, 2014, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Drip_Torch wrote:
If the owner is willing to sell that property for the assessed (taxable) land value showing on the assessment authorities website I'm sure we can have that deal done by the end of the day.

Would you sell your property/house for only the assessed value?
If not why would you expect someone else to?
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Last edited by Drip_Torch on Apr 12th, 2015, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Drip_Torch wrote:There is no house involved and I can tell you with a degree of certainty that if the owner were willing to sell the property for 10 times the BC assessment authority land value, we could have the deal done before Friday.

Would you sell your house and property for 10X it's taxable value - I know I would.

We both agree 10 times the assessed value is too much to ask and assessed value is to little to ask.
What would you consider as a fair asking price for your property in relation to the assessed value?
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

I sincerely hope that the naturists are able to make a deal happen with the property owner. There's a similar beach that my partner and I frequent when we're in the Kootenays, and we have always been welcome as "tourists" to the area. Everyone is respectful of one another at that beach (and it sounds the same at 3 Mile), so I hope you can all continue to enjoy the sunshine au naturale!
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Drip_Torch wrote:There is no house involved and I can tell you with a degree of certainty that if the owner were willing to sell the property for 10 times the BC assessment authority land value, we could have the deal done before Friday.

Is there an MLS listing for the property so we can see the asking price and then compare it to the assessed value?
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Last edited by Drip_Torch on Apr 12th, 2015, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Drip_Torch wrote:http://kirkchamberlain.ca/real-estate-listings/property/163-1010-fleet-road-penticton

The owner is actually asking 100 times the assessed value, but remember it is his to do with as he pleases and is only hurting himself by possibly asking too much.
It is interesting that 18 acres with 850' of beach is only assessed at $30k
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

cv23 wrote:The owner is actually asking 100 times the assessed value, but remember it is his to do with as he pleases and is only hurting himself by possibly asking too much.
It is interesting that 18 acres with 850' of beach is only assessed at $30k

He'd be a fool to not take a reasonable offer.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

daria wrote:He'd be a fool to not take a reasonable offer.

Agreed
Now all that needs to happen is the nudists to make a reasonable offer
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Drip_Torch wrote:...you seem to have a very hardened position on this topic - perhaps you are playing devils advocate and stimulating further conversation.

Not so much a "hardened" view as a realistic one I think. What we have here is a conflict between a group of people who want the beach to continue on as it always has been even if that means restricting the owners rights of ownership, and an owner who sees that continuing activity as an obstacle between him a sizable chunk of money even though much of said activity occurs on public land. The moral right and wrong of both sides could be debated at length without any meaningful progress, all we have left to resolve the conflict is the law, and currently that law seems to favour the landowner. Granted he has no ownership rights over the foreshore area but he is completely within his rights to restrict public use of the land he does have title to.

Hardened or not, my current take on the situation is that the beach users see the loss of access to the privately owned section of the area as a real blow to the overall appeal and usability of the beach. That's certainly understandable as the usable area would be reduced to the ribbon of foreshore to which private title does not apply, a significant reduction of total area from that which had formerly been available. It's also apparent that the beach users lack the financial resources to secure the land for their future use, but still seek that security even at the expense of the current owner. For me what's missing from the beach-users' case is a sound moral argument as to just why the current owner should take a financial hit to facilitate the continued use of the beach in it's historic form. Does "it's been that way for years" constitute such an argument?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

cv23 wrote:Agreed
Now all that needs to happen is the nudists to make a reasonable offer

I think they will, and I would love to see a piece of land that is left fairly intact, especially here in the Okanagan. It is really nice to see tracts of waterfront land that are still more or less as nature intended. Finding areas like this is fairly simple in the Kootenays (too bad Kootenay lake is so mercilessly cold until mid-summer!), and it would be gorgeous to have one even closer to home. :)

Return to “North Okanagan”