Nude beach, Penticton: posted "No Trespassing"

User avatar
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 25224
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: Nude beach, Penticton: posted "No Trespassing"

Post by fluffy »

There probably is a "niche market" for a clothing optional beach, the private portion of Three Mile enjoyed a small but loyal following for years. But that's not the real point here. The former clothing optional beach is no longer available, and the recent public outcry has made it plain that there are enough people among the traditional users of the public beach who do not wish to be exposed to nude beach going that "peaceful coexistence" is not among the available options.
Heal the sick, feed the hungry, care for the weakest among us, and always pray in private.
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17124
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Re: Nude beach, Penticton: posted "No Trespassing"

Post by maryjane48 »

which is a sad outcome
User avatar
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 25224
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: Nude beach, Penticton: posted "No Trespassing"

Post by fluffy »

lakevixen wrote:which is a sad outcome


For the naturists, yes. But given the situation it really couldn't have played out any differently. The naturists' attempt to simply move on to the public beach was doomed from the start as it basically trampled on the rights of the traditional users of that area. In the big picture the naturists are a small, special interest splinter group and we live in a democracy that says the majority rules.
Heal the sick, feed the hungry, care for the weakest among us, and always pray in private.
jusme3
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Jun 6th, 2012, 7:14 pm

Re: Nude beach, Penticton: posted "No Trespassing"

Post by jusme3 »

First off just to clear things up...to Queen K, It was not a "girl" they arrested, it was a 47 y/o woman who was being disruptive and obstructing justice (read: being a $h!T disturber)
I have personally seen these naturists harassing and bullying the home owners of Three Mile Road, who can prove they pay taxes unlike the claims of some of the naturists who say they do but they can't prove, which they apparently seems allows them elitist rights.
One of my biggest peeves (at the moment) is what gives the naturists the right to go and put up a facebook page and signage on the beach stating " 3 Mile clothing optional Beach"? Really? Where can you go and just designate a public area as "clothing optional" just because it suits you?
I am not against nudity and I appreciate the beauty of the human body...however, when I see the flagrant misuse of the human body used in an exhibitionist manner I must protest. Specifically at some of these "naturists" at Three mile Beach, some, not all of them, are being very rude and wrecking it for the quiet true naturists. I'm talking about the man who swam out to the dock and was waving his junk around in the face of a ten year old girl, The guy who stuck his camcorder into the face of a local resident while he/she was relaxing on the beach. I'm talking about the used condoms, the butt plugs, the *bleep* beads and other paraphernalia that is cleaned up by the resident home owners and locals so they can use the beach as a family friendly beach.
Seriously, to you loud, obnoxious, bullying, harassing, inappropriate, self entitled, lip-service peaceful naturists...the "No Trespassing" sign was put up for a reason and it wasn't because you are as naturalistic as you're pretending to be in a public forum!
Rant over...
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17124
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Re: Nude beach, Penticton: posted "No Trespassing"

Post by maryjane48 »

no it is sad for the city of pentictan was what i ment .
Donald G
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 20156
Joined: Jan 29th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Re: Nude beach, Penticton: posted "No Trespassing"

Post by Donald G »

I do not think that the word "sad" is appropriate to describe the situation at all. The nudists (or elected city officials) can change the situation any time that they want to come up with the money to finance their own place in the sun.

Surely a few bucks or running the risk of being kicked out of office can not be too high of a price to pay if the requirement for nudity is as importan as some pro nudists on this thread would have us believe.

So far it seems to be a "we want it if you pay" and change your lifestyle to do what we, the small minority, want to do situation.
User avatar
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 25224
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: Nude beach, Penticton: posted "No Trespassing"

Post by fluffy »

lakevixen wrote:no it is sad for the city of pentictan was what i ment .


How's that? Because we're off the list of World's Best Nude Beaches ? I expect the negative impact from that to be minimal, given that that particular demographic is tiny and generally clandestine.
Heal the sick, feed the hungry, care for the weakest among us, and always pray in private.
jamapple
Übergod
Posts: 1552
Joined: Oct 1st, 2008, 10:00 pm

Re: Nude beach, Penticton: posted "No Trespassing"

Post by jamapple »

lakevixen wrote:i would if i lived there , if a university can donate land for this use im sure someone there can stand up and do same . no it isnt wreck beach but it also has zero to do with anyone being perverted or the like .



Then why doesn't the WFN Private beach go and do that? Just thnk of the tourism spinoffs like you say about Skaha Beach? At least the WFN Beach is actually "private", and not open to the laws and scrutiny that all these other public beaches are.
User avatar
Drip_Torch
Guru
Posts: 5373
Joined: Aug 16th, 2012, 10:56 am

Re: Nude beach, Penticton: posted "No Trespassing"

Post by Drip_Torch »

Because we're off the list of World's Best Nude Beaches ? I expect the negative impact from that to be minimal, given that that particular demographic is tiny and generally clandestine


While that may be true, I would point out that the communities inability to deal with the lilliputian banalities of it all is a screaming red flag for anyone that values tolerance, diversity, or truth. Anyone can look at the legal lot lines on the city's webmapping service and yet, we have a mayor that can't even be bothered and would prefer to characterize the beach, clearly outside of Mr. P's property lines, as a private beach.

(Clandestine, in yer face, dang wangling nudists on a public beach in the sunshine vs. upstanding righteous property owners that install cameras in the middle of the night and cut new roads thru development permit areas on Statutory holidays.)

Hardly seems upside down at all.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17124
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Re: Nude beach, Penticton: posted "No Trespassing"

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jul 13th, 2015, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic comment and personal insult removed.
twobits
Guru
Posts: 7964
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:44 am

Re: Nude beach, Penticton: posted "No Trespassing"

Post by twobits »

Drip_Torch wrote: Anyone can look at the legal lot lines on the city's webmapping service


Actually, you have just given me pause to think that if the City were truly interested in providing a clothing optional beach, the answer might be say a portion of Sudbury beach on the east. All of Sudubury Beach to the east of the original channel drainage ditch is reserve land. Simple fence screening could easily provide a small private beach area with appropriate signage. And being FN land's, would Federal Laws on nudity be enforceable? I doubt it.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
User avatar
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 25224
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Re: Nude beach, Penticton: posted "No Trespassing"

Post by fluffy »

Drip_Torch wrote:[I would point out that the communities inability to deal with the lilliputian banalities of it all is a screaming red flag for anyone that values tolerance, diversity, or truth.


I thought they dealt with it quite well. They refused to give a "special use" designation to a pubic beach based on the desires of a mniscule splinter group, and left the private property issue to the courts. What would you have done ?
Heal the sick, feed the hungry, care for the weakest among us, and always pray in private.
User avatar
Drip_Torch
Guru
Posts: 5373
Joined: Aug 16th, 2012, 10:56 am

Re: Nude beach, Penticton: posted "No Trespassing"

Post by Drip_Torch »

I thought they dealt with it quite well. They refused to give a "special use" designation to a pubic beach based on the desires of a mniscule splinter group, and left the private property issue to the courts. What would you have done ?


Perhaps I should have consulted with a grammar cop before posting, so, first I'll explain why I went with the word communities and not community's. I see this as run of the mill cultural conflict involving many different spheres of influence that have never been encouraged to sit down together for a conversation that goes beyond the emotionally charged talking points.

What would I have done? Well, of course, I'll have to be somewhat reserved in my answer, but basically it comes down to I wouldn't have done anything different. That being, encourage respect of private property rights, the rights of the Three Mile Road residents to enjoy their property and the rights of the community at large to access and enjoy the publicly held parks and recreation opportunities in that area.

What would I have done if I had some political influence in this town? Well, obvious to me is that the "Status Quo" was not a desirable outcome for any of the parties involved, or the community at large. Georgia Straight's newsmaker of the year designation isn't one of the accolades anyone should be particularly proud of. I've also said many times: I don't believe it's appropriate to designate Three Mile Beach as a nude beach, but having said that, I do believe it could be left as clothing optional and the peace (that's been enjoyed for a number of decades) can be restored.

How could we have got there from here? Well, obviously, to anyone that was involved, or watching, something happened between the second city meeting and the third. I believe the missed opportunity was during that time period. There was a committee that took a representation to city council and there was a group claiming to represent the concerned property owners. I believe a "walk and talk" before that third meeting would have served the community well and I would have liked to have seen a couple managers, particularly the city manager, parks and perhaps public works, joined by a few of our elected "leaders" and the RCMP. As well as, representatives from either side of the conflict. (and I mean representatives that were involved in the public process and not those sitting in the shadows pulling strings and pushing buttons.)

Myself, I would have favoured the $65.000 upgrade to the south side of the point. The creation of a "family area" for both those that don't feel comfortable on a beach being used for skinny dipping and nude sunbathing, and for those that presently favour the south side over the north. Fact is, the south side is rundown, uncared for, and overgrown. Other fact is, the south side is well used and attractive in both the landscape features and viewpoint opportunities. It's also sheltered from the north wind. A better trail around the point, a picnic area immediately south of the parking lot, a slight upgrade to the beach and perhaps even a fire pit at the point would be, in my opinion, desirable upgrades that could both restore the peace and leave a legacy for future users.

Longer term, I see the north bay as an ongoing problem and it's my opinion that it would be in the community's best interest to look at acquiring the riparian area at the bottom of the privately held property; with a view to expanding on our parks holdings in the area. I see the opportunity to take some of the pressure off of the neighbourhood, by creating parking above the neighbourhood, perhaps designating the road below that parking as local traffic only and creating a walking trail network - but, I remain an unabashed dreamer that doesn't believe that our democracy is simply based on the premise of majority rules.

So, the short answer is: I wouldn't have done anything differently, and if I had any influence at all in this town, I would have done everything differently.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
User avatar
onestop67
Guru
Posts: 9531
Joined: Sep 10th, 2006, 11:12 pm

Re: Nude beach, Penticton: posted "No Trespassing"

Post by onestop67 »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jul 14th, 2015, 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
twobits
Guru
Posts: 7964
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:44 am

Re: Nude beach, Penticton: posted "No Trespassing"

Post by twobits »

Drip_Torch wrote:
Longer term, I see the north bay as an ongoing problem and it's my opinion that it would be in the community's best interest to look at acquiring the riparian area at the bottom of the privately held property; with a view to expanding on our parks holdings in the area. I see the opportunity to take some of the pressure off of the neighbourhood, by creating parking above the neighbourhood, perhaps designating the road below that parking as local traffic only and creating a walking trail network - but, I remain an unabashed dreamer that doesn't believe that our democracy is simply based on the premise of majority rules.

So, the short answer is: I wouldn't have done anything differently, and if I had any influence at all in this town, I would have done everything differently.


Interesting. Another loophole. Riparian area.

Is it so designated? I think my idea of loophole using leased native beach at Sudbury would be easier to accomplish than the inevitable legal battle over expropriation from a private land holder of riparian zone. If it is so designated (would like verification of that) the landowner can say he has no plans to develop and disturb the riparian zone so until he submits a plan to do so, there are no grounds for an expropriation in the interest of the public.
Am thinking there are a few readers here googling "riparian zone"
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “North Okanagan”