Boonstock forging ahead

Beerhunter341
Generalissimo Postalot

Boonstock forging ahead

Post by Beerhunter341 »

So does this mean that 24/7 Security has agreed to "refrain from communicating directly with the RCMP and B.C. Liquor Branch"?

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-118732-21-.htm#118732

Boonstock Music and Arts Festival organizers provided facts and answered questions at a lively forum at the Penticton Chamber of Commerce Tuesday night.

Included in the information was that Boonstock and 24/7 Security Limited have partnered for the festival on the August long weekend.

"Boonstock Music and Arts Festival has always been about the music and the fans. The safety and security of everyone who attends this event: the artists, the fans, the volunteers, my staff has always been my paramount priority," said Colin Kobza, president of Boonstock Productions. "Today I am pleased to announce that we have entered into partnership with 24/7 Security Ltd."

Kobza was joined by others involved in planning the festival at the standing room only forum.

Most chamber members said they welcomed the idea of the festival coming to Penticton. And the evening began with Campbell Watt, president of the chamber, enthusiastically welcoming the speakers.

Barb Haynes, director of operations for the festival, gave the bulk of the presentation and answered questions about traffic and safety plans and the economic benefit to the community.

In addition to discussing the new security partnership, she talked about special occasion licensing.

"We had a deadline, and we have met that deadline," she said. "I do not anticipate any more difficulty with it."
Captain77
Fledgling

Re: Boonstock forging ahead

Post by Captain77 »

Beerhunter - you pose an important question. There is an uneasiness amongst Pentictonites that could easily be quelled by simply assuring the public that the new security company has the authority to speak to police and B.C. liquor branch. I know the chamber held a full house meeting, but not everyone was able to attend - so how are boonstock organizers communicating with the broader public? I can't seem to find much up to date information anywhere. Maybe they don't care about the broader public?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Captain77 wrote:Beerhunter - you pose an important question. There is an uneasiness amongst Pentictonites that could easily be quelled by simply assuring the public that the new security company has the authority to speak to police and B.C. liquor branch. I know the chamber held a full house meeting, but not everyone was able to attend - so how are boonstock organizers communicating with the broader public? I can't seem to find much up to date information anywhere. Maybe they don't care about the broader public?

Since the chamber is endorsing this event perhaps they will be willing to shed some light on what's happening.
tgm929
Board Meister

Post by tgm929 »

Captain77 wrote:Beerhunter - you pose an important question. There is an uneasiness amongst Pentictonites that could easily be quelled by simply assuring the public that the new security company has the authority to speak to police and B.C. liquor branch. I know the chamber held a full house meeting, but not everyone was able to attend - so how are boonstock organizers communicating with the broader public? I can't seem to find much up to date information anywhere. Maybe they don't care about the broader public?

Normally I expect the media in attendance to provide details, for the public that could not attend, on the issues that resulted in the need for a different security company. That's probably far to much to expect from castanet though.
Beerhunter341
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Beerhunter341 »

I cannot verify that this company http://www.247-security.com/ is the actual company that the contract has been negotiated with or not but if it is I have huge concerns. This event would appear to be way over their ability. I could be wrong. I'm just going by first impressions of their website.

Safety needs to be the number 1 concern with this event.

booze + drugs + water = disaster

How many attendees do you think are going to ignore the signs at the bridge and end up battling the undertow at the mouth of the channel? How many are going to get hit by cars running across the highway?

For the record I am not against this event. It is in my opinion that it is in everyone's best interest to hire the best security not the cheapest or the only one that will do it.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I personally believe that the organizers have shown nothing but professionalism and class when it comes to responding to the media. They had an hiccup, and were being trashed for said hiccup by fear mongers, fixed the situation, then held a nice get together to let everyone know what is going on.

The city and this forum could learn something from them.
Beerhunter341
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Beerhunter341 »

I think professionalism may be a bit of a stretch. Now then I must admit that my information comes from the media so take this with a grain of salt.

IIRC - they did not even talk to the city before committing to the event. They did not meet with the RCMP to discuss a safety/security plan. They began selling tickets to the event before they had the infrastructure in place. There appears to be confusion on whether or not they even have the correct permits in place. This is just off the top of my head.... I'm sure there is more.

Imagine an event taking place at SOEC with the same "professionalism"

Oh.... and lets not forget that this event was evicted from Edmonton. I think this is the part that I find most troublesome. The event organisers KNOW that there is potential for BIG problems. If they want this event to be an annual event then they have to do more IMO. I think it is too late though.
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

ToddT wrote: . . . the organizers . . . had an hiccup, and were being trashed for said hiccup by fear mongers, fixed the situation, then held a nice get together to let everyone know what is going on. . . .

I think they may not have prepared by learning the first rule to observe when moving from Alberta to BC.

What does ‘BC’ stand for . . .?

All together now . . ..

Yep, nice meeting. Encouraging support from the Chamber. Back on the volunteer bandwagon. I enjoyed my breakfast of crow this morning. Yum.
darkaengel

Post by darkaengel »

It is time for people to settle down.

I'm willing to bet the fear mongers have never been down the channel in the summer. everyone is already drunk/on drugs and there is no security/lifeguards/rcmp. Pretty much the same on the beach over any long weekend too.

All in all the event could have barely more attendees(~6-8k) then a sold out SOEC show(5k). The festival was already halved in size since last year. On top of that the security requirements (# security per # attendees) is like triple of any other event.

As for security not contacting rcmp or liquor board directly... its called having one point of contact. its the proper way to organize eight thousand people and not having single incidents blown out of control. Like it or not it is summer, incidents will happen and it is clear there are a ton of people out there with a hard on to see this event fail.

The promoter has moved his family to town and literally put up millions of dollars to make this show happen here. I am glad to see it happen and so should everyone with any want to see Penticton do something other than wither up and die.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Beerhunter341 wrote:Oh.... and lets not forget that this event was evicted from Edmonton. I think this is the part that I find most troublesome. The event organisers KNOW that there is potential for BIG problems. If they want this event to be an annual event then they have to do more IMO. I think it is too late though.

This is one of the things that drives me most insane about this event. The event that was "evicted" from Gibbons was more of a rock show. They have toned down the lineup to a degree that many people from that area are not even coming to the Penticton show because "Boonstock has gone soft."

The crowd for this show will be less destructive emo kids and more laid back hippies.
Beerhunter341
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Beerhunter341 »

ToddT wrote: This is one of the things that drives me most insane about this event. The event that was "evicted" from Gibbons was more of a rock show. They have toned down the lineup to a degree that many people from that area are not even coming to the Penticton show because "Boonstock has gone soft."

The crowd for this show will be less destructive emo kids and more laid back hippies.

How is it toned down? Sure Slash and Co. is not coming but I still see bands like Rise Against, Gob, Wolfmother and a bunch of other punk bands. I guess a punk show is more tame than a rock show.

Half of the major sponsors of this event are alcohol producers.
tgm929
Board Meister

Post by tgm929 »

Beerhunter341 wrote:

As are most concerts, sporting events, etc.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Beerhunter341 wrote:How is it toned down? Sure Slash and Co. is not coming but I still see bands like Rise Against, Gob, Wolfmother and a bunch of other punk bands. I guess a punk show is more tame than a rock show.

lol please list the "bunch of other punk bands."
Also, I would hardly call any of those bands "punk" bands. Maybe Rise Against, maybe.
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

How does, “Maybe not getting a liquor licence in time sound to everybody?”

Happy to see it was reported from last night’s meeting.

http://*bleep*.ca/newsitem/boonstock-a-go-organizers-have-security-covered-prepare-for-economic-opportunity/it11391

And earlier.

http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/266312121.html
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

WTTG wrote:How does, “Maybe not getting a liquor licence in time sound to everybody?”

Happy to see it was reported from last night’s meeting.

http://*bleep*.ca/newsitem/boonstock-a-go-organizers-have-security-covered-prepare-for-economic-opportunity/it11391

And earlier.

http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/266312121.html

From the article...
The festival is not just about a weekend of music, dancing, sun and drinks, Haynes said. It is also about providing opportunities for young people and helping create memories that will perhaps help them consider living in Penticton when they’re older, looking for jobs or wanting to start or raise a family.

That is the benefit I am hoping for. Just wish that they would have perhaps started a little smaller, say 5k tickets, to work out the inevitable bugs, and grow from there. I would hate to see it fail because they bit off a bit too much in a very short window.
And at least this time, Haynes didn't pull the "let's just talk about fun stuff".
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “North Okanagan”