Boonstock

twobits
Guru

Re: Boonstock

Post by twobits »

IMO, Boonstock was a great plan. Unfortunately, the organizational abilities of the promoter and management were wanting. When I saw that Barb Haynes was brought onboard, the writing was pretty much on the wall for me. If the talent you bring has a history of failed businesses going back some 20 years in Penticton starting with the Skaha Marina.....then fired as manager of a Travel Agency.....and unceremoniously relieved of duties in downtown promotion......what does one expect?

Free cocktail to anyone that can source a link to Barb's infamous reply to the press about Boonstock plans.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Ken7
Guru

Post by Ken7 »

Gixxer wrote:
Whats goonstock?

Cant blame the festival for a grown adult from doing bad drugs.

RCMP force their services upon them and over bill.

I'm not certain how the RCMP forced their services on them, help me with that one.

Is it the RCMP's responsibility to provide policing for this or any other special event in their jurisdiction they police?

I do know in Saskatchewan a well run country festival held at Craven has RCMP police, they gather members from all local detachments to police it and control the activities. The festival is held every summer, in July, for four days, hosting 23,500 people. They to my understanding have always been paid in full.

I did not hear any other Police agencies place tender to police this event, which if I recall the original SECURITY company backed out, giving short notice.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Ken7 wrote:
I'm not certain how the RCMP forced their services on them, help me with that one.

Is it the RCMP's responsibility to provide policing for this or any other special event in their jurisdiction they police?

I do know in Saskatchewan a well run country festival held at Craven has RCMP police, they gather members from all local detachments to police it and control the activities. The festival is held every summer, in July, for four days, hosting 23,500 people. They to my understanding have always been paid in full.

I did not hear any other Police agencies place tender to police this event, which if I recall the original SECURITY company backed out, giving short notice.

It seems the RCMP over charged and price gouged the festival.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Gixxer wrote:It seems the RCMP over charged and price gouged the festival.

That is the claim being made by those responsible for paying the bill at least.

The promoter (name escapes me at present) and his staff got off to a poor start by snubbing a lot of the regulatory bodies that they really needed to keep on friendly terms with, plus it was plain that they simply did not have their ducks in a row. They cut a deal with PIB without consulting the city or the RCMP and were pretty much offering up "We're here, get used to it" as their greeting. Couple that with a safety plan that was more of a cost savings plan and a perfect recipe for failure is in place.
Heal the sick, feed the hungry, care for the weakest among us, and always pray in private.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Gixxer wrote:

They charged the going rate. Not sure how that's gouging. The festival organizers let the good security company walk and hired a bunch of what seems to be has-beens who get arrested for stealing liquor. The RCMP had to step in to make sure that things didn't go terribly wrong (not discounting the demise of the one concert goer, but that was above anyone's reach - as somebody said - you can't stop adults from taking bad drugs), and keep the community as protected as possible. Considering the number of people that were in attendance, I think they did a decent job.

If the organizers were more interested in talking to the RCMP at the beginning of their organizational process, it would have been very beneficial to them I think.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

the truth wrote:

Post by the truth » 13 minutes ago

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014 ... nties.html

If you are going to speak "The Truth" at least try to have some balance - just because a couple of the security team were dingbats doesn't mean the whole lot of them.
Ken7
Guru

Post by Ken7 »

Gixxer wrote:

Where are you getting your figures from, to come to this conclusion? Just trying to understand where you're coming from. Must also ask as you seem possibly privileged, have they paid their bill yet?
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Gixxer wrote:It seems the RCMP over charged and price gouged the festival.

You're so right Gixxer, I think the RCMP should have been paid from our tax dollars. We should have financially assisted this uncooperative, disorganized, unprepared, clown so he could come back next year and try to run this drug infested drunken rock fest again.

He had an opportunity to hire and have in place proper security on his terms, but failed to be organized enough to secure that so he gets the people's security and pays the price.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

10/10 correct. but for some on here its all about cop bashing nothing more nothing less
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

the truth wrote:10/10 correct. but for some on here its all about cop bashing nothing more nothing less

Speaking of bashing ... Truth you have done nothing but bash this event from day one. I wonder what you will do with your time after this event announces it's gone for good????
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

southy wrote:Speaking of bashing ... Truth you have done nothing but bash this event from day one. I wonder what you will do with your time after this event announces it's gone for good????

Rejoice ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

twobits wrote:IMO, Boonstock was a great plan. Unfortunately, the organizational abilities of the promoter and management were wanting. When I saw that Barb Haynes was brought onboard, the writing was pretty much on the wall for me. If the talent you bring has a history of failed businesses going back some 20 years in Penticton starting with the Skaha Marina.....then fired as manager of a Travel Agency.....and unceremoniously relieved of duties in downtown promotion......what does one expect?

Free cocktail to anyone that can source a link to Barb's infamous reply to the press about Boonstock plans.

What reply was that?
We See
We Judge
We Get Muzzled
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Anonymous123 wrote:What reply was that?

So I get to buy myself a cocktail Anon? lol

It was back at the big press conference late July when queried about the "security plan", Barb Haynes said she didn't want to talk about that and would rather just talk about "the fun stuff".

Oh, as an edit to a previous post for Barb Haynes resume failures.....the Challenge Race after just one year decided her services were no longer required. It behooves me how this woman continually manages to get a paycheque from non profits or Gov't funded in some way budgets. I mean seriously, her resume is a friggen train wreck. If I were her husband, some red flags might be going up.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Anonymous123 wrote:What reply was that?

twobits wrote:So I get to buy myself a cocktail Anon? lol

It was back at the big press conference late July when queried about the "security plan", Barb Haynes said she didn't want to talk about that and would rather just talk about "the fun stuff".

Oh, as an edit to a previous post for Barb Haynes resume failures.....the Challenge Race after just one year decided her services were no longer required. It behooves me how this woman continually manages to get a paycheque from non profits or Gov't funded in some way budgets. I mean seriously, her resume is a friggen train wreck. If I were her husband, some red flags might be going up.

She has a husband? I don't see a link to the quote.
We See
We Judge
We Get Muzzled

Return to “North Okanagan”