Proposed Hotel

Static
Guru

Re: Proposed Hotel

Post by Static »

Twobits, the man's father that runs the Lakeside also owns a huge hotel on Denman Street in Vancouver and another one somewhere.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Static wrote:Twobits, the man's father that runs the Lakeside also owns a huge hotel on Denman Street in Vancouver and another one somewhere.

Static - Twobits has already made reference to this fact - I think perhaps you are missing his point which is 100% true.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

I don't fully understand how this would work. Would the city (if zoning change goes through), sell off or lease the property in question? Perhaps they want to sell it to make a few bucks and that may be ok. On the other hand, why don't prospective owners look at the land across the street (El Rancho); I believe it was up for sale at one time or for redevelopment. Its a bit of an eyesore anyways and would be a great spot for a large hotel.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Good questions XT - I also wonder (and you'll have to pardon me, but my trust factor with this mayor and council is not that great) IF city hall has not already received expressions of interest on the ballpark property. They seem to be good with spinning information so they may just be testing the waters to see how joe public will react if they move forward with it. Time will tell.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:Good questions XT - I also wonder (and you'll have to pardon me, but my trust factor with this mayor and council is not that great) IF city hall has not already received expressions of interest on the ballpark property. They seem to be good with spinning information so they may just be testing the waters to see how joe public will react if they move forward with it. Time will tell.

I will be interesting to see how the mayor votes re the proposed rezoning of City land near the PTCC; otherwise his campaign supporter who owns the big hotel on the beach might not be too happy. If I were the owner of the El Rancho, I would be putting up for sale signs NOW and trying to sell.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

sale4u wrote:TwoBits, it's not just kids using the fields but a huge collection of Rec Leaguers too! I agree that eventually this land will probably out live its ballpark days but with all the land surround the convention centre it makes no sense to take that land now. What if they want to expand the convention centre some day, then what.
I agree 100% with your take on the difference between the two hotel owners.

If you go back to my past post you will see I said leave the ballpark alone for now. I suggested the lands east of the Wine Center. The unutilized patch of grass at the north entrance to the C Center and the footprint of the Wine Center could be incorporated into the main floor of the Hotel.
Parking in the existing lot and a promenade entrance to the Hotel through the north east section of the C Center tying the whole complex together.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:
If you go back to my past post you will see I said leave the ballpark alone for now. I suggested the lands east of the Wine Center. The unutilized patch of grass at the north entrance to the C Center and the footprint of the Wine Center could be incorporated into the main floor of the Hotel.
Parking in the existing lot and a promenade entrance to the Hotel through the north east section of the C Center tying the whole complex together.

Twobits, how would that work? Tie in a privately owned building (hotel) into the T&C Center (city owned). Who would own the land? Not a criticism; just asking. Why not leave the city land as is, and whoever (its not someone from Penticton; think further up the valley) wants to build a hotel go across the street and try to purchase the El Rancho property. Its been proposed for that type of housing for a long time now.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Why are they even proposing such a venture ? If as has been said, surrounding hotels are putting off expansion due to low demand, and an opportunity like the El Rancho property sits dormant, it hardly makes sense to sacrifice parkland for a hotel whose need is questionable. Doesn't really sound like something a typical politician would risk.
Denial is based on one very specific desire – for something to not be true.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:Why are they even proposing such a venture ? If as has been said, surrounding hotels are putting off expansion due to low demand, and an opportunity like the El Rancho property sits dormant, it hardly makes sense to sacrifice parkland for a hotel whose need is questionable. Doesn't really sound like something a typical politician would risk.

Fluffy, I have to wonder if its not just the City trying to recoup some cash from land sales. Lord knows that they have a lot of other expensive projects on the go that need paying for. Off topic, but I was dissapointed to see new lines recently painted on old, patched pavement on Main Street. A lot of town needs complete repaving (ie: Government Street is another one); perhaps the city could sell off some property that they aren't using to pay for more maintenance work where it is needed.

I'm not saying that a hotel on present city land by the T&C Center would be a good thing or not; just don't know. If not for conventions going on, who would stay there? Its not view property and farther from the beach. Time will tell.
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

Static wrote:Twobits, the man's father that runs the Lakeside also owns a huge hotel on Denman Street in Vancouver and another one somewhere.

Vernon. ( I believe)
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

johnhenry wrote:Vernon. ( I believe)

http://www.rpbhotels.com/about-us/

http://www.rpbhotels.com/hotels/vernon/best-western-plus-vernon-lodge/

http://www.rpbhotels.com/hotels/kelowna/ramada-kelowna-hotel-and-conference-centre/

http://www.rpbhotels.com/hotels/penticton/penticton-lakeside-resort/

Nothing online about Vancouver.
We See
We Judge
We Get Muzzled
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

I see the Coast has put their land up for sale....zoned for a hotel.....right across the street from the park. My guess is someone's trying to prove a point. An excellent one I might add.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

livewire wrote:I see the Coast has put their land up for sale....zoned for a hotel.....right across the street from the park. My guess is someone's trying to prove a point. An excellent one I might add.

Not quite the same as an integrated complex but very interesting nonetheless. To save me the time in looking, do you know the date of this listing? If this listing came about after the public release of a possible hotel on City lands, it is a very clear shot across the bow of the City. Also does not send a positive impression on the efforts or competency of Economic Development.

If the goal was attracting another Class A hotel, one would think that all suitable properties would have been contacted for an interest in selling. The failure to do such a rudimentary inquiry is a major fail for a City Budget line item that was doubled and apparently a focus of this new council. If the timing is as livewire has suggested, this is a major embarrassment to council and it's confidence of the people in economic development by doubling their budget.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

I can't tell you when if was listed but the sign went up maybe 2 days ago.

Return to “North Okanagan”