Huge RCMP Roadcheck

jamapple
Übergod

Huge RCMP Roadcheck

Post by jamapple »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#142714

I think of all the stuff that drives our roadways and can't help but feel a big thank you is in order to the RCMP for curbing this through huge roadchecks like they just did here. Some of the numbers were alarming.
What are your thoughts? Good news, or cash grab?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Huge RCMP Roadcheck

Post by fluffy »

Personally I don't mind it at all. I don't really do anything that would make me a target for them and I can't help but think that those who whine the loudest are either those with reason to avoid the cops, or the chronically late types who are always in a hurry. I don't know how much of a deterrent it actually is but the numbers showing the sort of infractions they did uncover makes me think that it should make some people think twice about the sort of trouble they take on the road.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Personally, they can, and should do this all the time, day and night, to clean up this valley of "idiots" and non-compliant vehicles. They probably didn't even make a dent in the situation!
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Hopefully they will continue these roadchecks (with the special Police bus) all Summer. Move it up and down the valley at random and clean up the litter. If you aren't breaking the law, there's nothing to worry about. Glad to see the police doing a good job.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

"Look at all the tickets I got for doing nothing wrong" - No One Ever

The ones who *bleep* the loudest are the ones with the worst driving records, I guarantee that. I'm not going to act like I've received a speeding ticket it. Was I speeding, yes. Did I deserve it, yes. Life goes on, smart ones learn (haven't been stopped since).
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Personally, I think it's brilliant. I spend a lot of time on the road, and the safer they can make it happier my wife and life is!!
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

Nice to see support. I was thinking when starting this, that the cop bashers would be out in full force!
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Guaranteed they are in hiding. Glad to see them get some idiots off the road but it isn't enough.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

ToddT wrote:Guaranteed they are in hiding.

That's a safe bet. It's clear that the consensus here is that the only people who would openly oppose something designed to improve public safety are those who have an adverse effect on that safety. Who would admit to that ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

This is pretty neat right down to the mobile command center. There is a lot of infractions listed though the largest was "Vehicle defects" which seem to have a wide range that can be listed for this.

My curiosity is more how many people of the 7000 vehicles were part of the infractions list. Looking at the list one person could be a good number of those charges with one stop. A stolen car speeding while driven by a suspended driver could count all down that list. Listing all infractions looks good, however it can look like a list of accomplishments for a far smaller amount of actual individuals.

Now though good, the cost on 25 officers and mobile command station to catch a potentially small number of serious offences becomes a cost benefit situation for further set ups for this. I like this idea, I'm not certain it is sustainable to do all the time due to budget restraints, but certainly a neat set up.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

fluffy wrote:Personally I don't mind it at all. I don't really do anything that would make me a target for them and I can't help but think that those who whine the loudest are either those with reason to avoid the cops, or the chronically late types who are always in a hurry.

No fluff, there actually is a legitimate reason for some to dislike this type of roadblock. This road check was backed up at times to nearly Watermans hill in OK Falls. I have trucks running through that area six times a day and they were all held up for over an hour creeping along the Hwy. Now add time and a half to the wages for the extended day in order to complete the contracted task required. I wasn't just late for an appointment.
Now add in all the local service companies. The electricians, plumbers, HVAC, couriers etc who were just trying to do their jobs.

And to be clear, I am not opposed to road checks. I am just opposed to road checks that do not recognize the difference between travel for commerce, and pleasure travel. The fix? Set these all encompassing road checks up where there are two lanes of traffic in the same direction and divert commercial vehicles down one lane and everything else down the other. It's so simple it is pathetic.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

That would certainly alleviate the problem for business operators, but on the other hand is it safe to assume that someone is abiding by the law just because he/she is at work ?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

fluffy wrote:That would certainly alleviate the problem for business operators, but on the other hand is it safe to assume that someone is abiding by the law just because he/she is at work ?

Of course not. But there is no reason why they cannot be put into an expedited lane for a check instead of waiting behind a hour long snail crawl.
Small business margins are pretty skinny as it is. They are also well established as being the major employers. A simple recognition of that in these catch all roadblocks would be much appreciated. Instead, it seems almost an arrogant position that "we can do whatever we want". The tactics involved with this road block were even a level above that experienced at an international border crossing where they recognize commercial vehicles and don't make them sit in a line up of tourists and motor homes.
Instead, this road check smacks of a PR stunt meant to send a message. They could have caught every one of the cited infractions with a different approach and saved a whole lot of people some time to boot. And sent the same message.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Okay, I get it now, not so much a free pass as an express lane.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

fluffy wrote:Okay, I get it now, not so much a free pass as an express lane.

Yes, that would all that was required. Instead, it cost me about 300 dollars and not one of my trucks or drivers were cited for an infraction. It's all for the greater good though until the 300 dollars has to come out of the jeans of those that think these gestapo roadblocks are a great idea.

Return to “North Okanagan”