Huge RCMP Roadcheck

Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Re: Huge RCMP Roadcheck

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

What happened was this: (semantics aside). They are a company that still has many other holding other than trucking. However, they started in trucking, and trucking was a large part of one of their holdings. They started their little company (that grew) in trucking and trucking was the money maker for them for over 25 years before they branched into other ventures under the umbrella of the holding company.

The trucking company alone had over 250 employees (some contractors, but most of them direct employees). The price of gas in the early 2000's exploded and they made a bad business decision to start adding a fuel sur-tax too little/too late. The owner was let's say "extremely charismatic" and had trouble keeping upper management who would give him good advise, but he always thought he knew best. I was one of the few contractors he hired who he actually loved. I came from a big city, and I grew up "in the hood" and could curse back at him and stand up to him because If need be, I can shine it on as a tough-chick even though I'm a pussy-cat in reality.

He kept firing his accounts receivable people (he had 2 of them) as well as his general CGA every other year. By the time I got there, I was trying to audit and figure out why they hadn't been paid by some pretty major 5 star companies for years. It really was nothing more than neglect and someone taking the time to reconcile manifests and trip-load documents. They literally had a million+ dollars owed to them over several years back that I was searching through dusty old boxes of trip vouchers trying to find proof the load was legit so they could get paid. In some cases the company they had made a delivery to didn't even exist anymore and they ate that entire job.

So, all I am saying is that this wasn't some Mickey Mouse company. They were large, and they still are a medium size business in business that isn't trucking. They had a lot of profitable years as truckers with hundreds of trucks carrying their own name (as well as other of their trucks with corporate wrappings). They had 4 dispatchers, 8 or so salesman bidding on loads and umpteen actual drivers. So, in my "opinion" trucking has the reputation of being less than honourably sometimes. They cut corners, it's an extremely tight profit-margin venture, the cost of diesel keeps them miserable and always having to pay with fuel sur-taxes, the receiving companies low-ball them and just want it cheap and fast. This leads to a perfect storm of truckers "bending" the rules around truck maintenance And safety, and some unfortunate trucking company are completely desperate to avoid detection from road-checks.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Well, at least this took to page 8 to go completely off the rails.

I could care less about the "trucking" company that Osoyoos_Family is talking about.

While what he/she is saying might be true, it's total hearsay. It seems to me to be a personal vendetta type post.

Twobits, you are 100% right about how people would be surprised to see how many people are out there driving hammered at 9 a.m.

8-9 a.m. in the morning is probably the most dangerous time on the roads for drunk drivers...the "average" person is waking up out of a big drunk and taking their kids to school.

And way more innocent people are on the road at that time of day.

Yes, more drunks driving at 3 a.m. but way less innocent people on the road at that time.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Personal vendetta? I left them in good terms, I was only ever a forensic auditor hired for a contracted period. I haven't worked for them in almost 16 years! I've had many jobs since then, I was fresh out if school at the time.

You seem like you have some personal issues, not me, I was telling a story.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:Personal vendetta? I left them in good terms, I was only ever a forensic auditor hired for a contracted period. I haven't worked for them in almost 16 years! I've had many jobs since then, I was fresh out if school at the time.

You seem like you have some personal issues, not me, I was telling a story.

Well then, I apologize. And no, I have no personal issues.

My main point was that this thread has gone way off topic.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Thank you for the apology, I accept.

I don't think discussing trucking companies avoiding road checks at all to be "off topic". I was on the floor when it happened. Although I will admit it was 16 years ago, I doubt that the industry has changed so profoundly, but I hope so. This isn't to paint all trucking companies with the same brush either. The good ones will prove themselves vindicated when they pass inspection. The bad ones...well I guess they won't.

Return to “North Okanagan”